What do you think of the 2019 Z4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 08-28-2018, 02:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
What do you think of the 2019 Z4

Lets hear some thoughts on the new Z4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2018, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 440i GC xDrive
I am one of the folks who would prefer the better ride while still retaining some of the handling. And while I am not sure I care for the new dash, I really like the interior being a bit more luxurious and not so industrial sports car. Will be waiting to be able to drive one to see if all that translates into the experience it looks/sounds like it will.

While some aren't happy about the stacked lights, I am genuinely pleased with the exterior lines to include those. The eye flows from front quarter to rear without interruption.

And 382HP?! Yes, please.

My wife isn't pleased about the loss of a hard top, but I think the plate in the front section will do fine in helping with noise reduction and heat retention in the winter. Less moving parts to go out is a plus.

This is the first car I have been excited over in a good while (that is within my willing budget). Just disappointing that that the M40i is the first car they show and will be the last to showrooms next summer. That is what I will want. We will see then if it ends up in my garage. I'm sure my wife will let me drive it on Mondays.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW Z4
I've looked over all the stats of the new Z, and think it is a mistake for BMW to abandon the hardtop convertible. I live in New Hampshire and would enjoy the hardtop in the Winter months.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2018, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5D 35I M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwooder View Post
i've looked over all the stats of the new z, and think it is a mistake for bmw to abandon the hardtop convertible. I live in new hampshire and would enjoy the hardtop in the winter months.
+1
Old 09-13-2018, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW Z4
I noticed one other thing about the new Z. There is no place for a front license plate. I would have had to drill holes in my front bumper, if Bavauto did not have a fix for the second plate. Why must we deface a $70,000 sports car to comply with the law for a front license plate. Europe requires a front plate, only much longer than any US plate.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto:
What do you think of the 2019 Z4

I absolutely hate. I hate the new Toyota Z-3 1/2 with a passion. I despise the concept, the soft top, the overdone styling, and the kitsch adornments. Everything about this rice bred “bummer” is detestable.

Last edited by Leo-RochesterMI; 11-01-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
I love my E89, especially the versatility of hardtop and convertible. Plus, I love the lines of the E89. I'm sure I'll soften on the new Z4 once it's in front of me.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW Z4 35i,
looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey48 View Post
Lets hear some thoughts on the new Z4.
Not NEAR as pretty and the 09 to 16 model. That one is the most beautiful BMW ever.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
I agree !
Old 03-03-2019, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: not a Z4 just yet
Test drove 2 yesterday. Pleasantly surprised by 4 cylinder. I will order a M40i.

There is a MotoMan review on YouTube with the 30i ... sounds like he is equally surprised!
Old 03-06-2019, 05:36 AM
ZEDHEAD

Mein Auto: 2015 sDrive35is
I really wasn't crazy about the show car but the production model looks great in pictures but I'm holding judgement until I see one in person.

Hoping I love it because I need another z4 after having an '06 3.0i & '14 35is the '17 M240 I'm leasing now is a great car but I'm not so crazy about the looks.

If I'm not crazy about it I will be looking for a used Z, either E85 or E89 will due, loved them both.

“Thou art to me a delicious torment.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 03-06-2019, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: not a Z4 just yet
It looks much better in person ... I know, I read this a couple of times and I thought yeah, right, but I was very pleasantly surprised when I saw it in person. I thought these plastic inserts below the front bumper that hide some of the electronics looked awful in the pictures (depending on color), but they actually almost harmonize with the look of the car from the front - in other words, they were no longer a 'problem' for me.

Also, the back looks very busy in pictures, but once you see it in person, it just fits well within the complete picture & proportions of the car. It's a good looking car.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2002
I, too, like the appearance of the new Z4, but I think prospective buyers may wish to take into consideration the unusually harsh criticism of the Z4 that exists generally, and more specifically, regarding its appearance. That's going to get old. Of course, over time as new owners join the board there will be positive comments as well, but IMHO, pretty much like the response of Porsche owners to the 4-cylinder Boxster, the criticism of the Z4 will continue. Again, that's going to get old, and it's certainly not what someone coming to the brand expects to find on an enthusiasts' board.

Last edited by Spied4US; 03-10-2019 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:06 AM

Mein Auto: z4 sdrive35i
I am starting to like it better

I just wish they had a more traditional,Germanic, classy subdued way of being impressive. Like a modernized E89. The new one uses kitch and cliche. Too many slits and scoops. Bmw started with the cheek scoops on the M3. These had an impact. Now this Z just looks like the Asian wannabe cars to me, at least in photos. The big wide back end is impressive but that even emulates the MB SL styling which is not new anymore. MB and Audi and Porsche have stayed smooth and elegant and still set the standard for up-market simplicity.
The car pundits are not saying much.They assassinated the E89. All of them said the same things about the Z and the Bangle designs which actually were beyond their comprehension.at the time. Auto journos liked to copy-paste buzz words when they don't get it.
I have owned many sporty cars and my belief is that no one else notices or cares what my car looks like. But that does not mean I would purchase a car that is not appealing to me and my aesthetic concepts. End of rant and I do understand that this is all quite subjective.

Last edited by Zyal8r; 03-11-2019 at 04:08 AM. Reason: correction
Old 04-02-2019, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
I looked at a new Z4 in Scottsdale, AZ last week. Nicely done, beautiful interior. At the moment, I still prefer my E89 and its foldable hard top.

20190325_093755 by f5joep, on Flickr
20190325_093804 by f5joep, on Flickr
Old 04-07-2019, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 330ix
I had the opportunity yesterday to visit the Vehicle Delivery Center in Jersey City with NJ Chapter of the BMWCCA. There were two Z-4 available to do everything but drive. I am interested in obtaining one so I was thrilled to see them. Really comfortable with a surprisingly large trunk.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:19 AM

Mein Auto:
@Zyal8r

I couldn't agree with you more; the new Z4 is overworked with slits, scoops, and angles. It's lost a lot of the sensuality of the E89.

Not all pundits assassinated the E89: https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2009-bmw-z4-2/

I'd say Robert Cumberford's thoughts carry a bit more weight than your average car pundit!
Old 04-14-2019, 02:02 PM
bimmer

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 sdrive 35is
I’m not impressed. No hard top and looks more Japanese than German. Plus remember not made at a bmw factory so not really a pure bmw
Also seems performance is same for the m40i and my is35

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.top...82407.amp.html

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 04-14-2019, 03:29 PM

Cumberford Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordo View Post
@Zyal8r

I couldn't agree with you more; the new Z4 is overworked with slits, scoops, and angles. It's lost a lot of the sensuality of the E89.

Not all pundits assassinated the E89: https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2009-bmw-z4-2/

I'd say Robert Cumberford's thoughts carry a bit more weight than your average car pundit!
Thanks =, I will archive that. I will even add a few thoughts. The E89 follows the 507 heritage and even the Z8 . Look at the grills and the side gills. I have seen them being shown all side by side and you could appreciate the bloodlines and heritage. If you put a G29 in that picture it would barely be recognized as a BMW.
If you find a Cumberford analysis of the G29 let us know.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: Z8 Z1 Z4
Local dealer had an E89 and the new Z4. The E89 was/is far better aesthetically speaking. The new Z4 is a design mess and gives off a plasticy appearance.

Trunks? Here is the interesting thing! The 89 has a much larger rear boot lid so when you open the rear trunk on the E89 you have greater access. Case in point: I have a carbon fiber folding bike. It easily fits in the E89 trunk. HOWEVER, the opening for the new Z4 is significantly smaller and the bike DOES NOT FIT through the smaller opening! Reminds me of the time I put a printer in the boot. Drove home with the rear lid open but the printer fit! Would never fit in the new Z4. Also, the new buttons in the interior/dash look cheap compared to the E89.

Sad really. BMW missed the mark.

Too bad BMW did not follow the Porsche model. REFINE REFINE REFINE. The E89 is a stunning looking car....but imagine it more refined with, e.g., slightly widened body work flaring over larger wheels and tires with bigger brakes and a more aggressive rear end and front end--evolving the E89 rather than creating a Frankenstein that has elements of Fiat Spider (front) and Corvette / SLS side and a generic BMW interior.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanZ8 View Post
Local dealer had an E89 and the new Z4. The E89 was/is far better aesthetically speaking. The new Z4 is a design mess and gives off a plasticy appearance.

Trunks? Here is the interesting thing! The 89 has a much larger rear boot lid so when you open the rear trunk on the E89 you have greater access. Case in point: I have a carbon fiber folding bike. It easily fits in the E89 trunk. HOWEVER, the opening for the new Z4 is significantly smaller and the bike DOES NOT FIT through the smaller opening!
Too bad BMW did not follow the Porsche model. REFINE REFINE REFINE. The E89 is a stunning looking car....but imagine it more refined with, e.g., slightly widened body work flaring over larger wheels and tires with bigger brakes and a more aggressive rear end and front end--evolving the E89 rather than creating a Frankenstein that has elements of Fiat Spider (front) and Corvette / SLS side and a generic BMW interior.
Again we agree, plasticky scoops are is not upmarket and the trunk is wider but shallow vertically. The E89 trunk is fine for luggage for two people you just have to have the top up while traveling any distance on the interstate.
Could this design be directed at the Asian market and a younger demographic?
Old 04-15-2019, 09:39 AM

it looks OK, just not like a BMW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinanZ8 View Post

Trunks? Here is the interesting thing! The 89 has a much larger rear boot lid so when you open the rear trunk on the E89 you have greater access. Case in point: I have a carbon fiber folding bike. It easily fits in the E89 trunk. HOWEVER, the opening for the new Z4 is significantly smaller and the bike DOES NOT FIT through the smaller opening!
Again we agree, plasticky scoops are is not upmarket and the trunk is wider but shallow vertically. The E89 trunk is fine for luggage for two people you just have to have the top up while traveling any distance on the interstate.
Could this design be directed at the Asian market and a younger demographic?

Last edited by Zyal8r; 04-15-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:46 AM
bimmer

Mein Auto: 2014 Z4 sdrive 35is
Who cares for the trunk. Most of us are not buying a z4 for trunk space
A small bag space is good enough

Old 04-15-2019, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto:
***129314;***129326;***129314;***129326;***129314;***129326;

Old 04-15-2019, 11:49 PM

Mein Auto:
@Zyal8r / @DinanZ8

Cumberford hasn't reviewed the G29 yet, though in 2017 he did review that year's BMW Z4 Concept and BMW Concept 8.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/b...bmw-concept-8/

Though I haven't yet seen a G29 in person, unfortunately it seems like a considerable amount of the Z4 concept made it into the production G29. Most notably, the "machete-designed" side gashes are back, though forward tilting now. ("Hey, here's an idea: How about we bring back maybe the most hated feature of the E85/86?!)

Also carrying over is the front central scoop, described by Cumberford as evoking "….cow catchers on steam locomotives in the Old West. In black it looks agricultural, more like a grain scoop than a car part." On the brighter side, the G29 has bit of the 507-inspired forward tilting grille (as near as I can tell from photos), though sadly not as pronounced as on the concept. Too bad the concept's headrests didn't survive to production, though I'd guess that their appeal would not have been universal.

Worst of all, perhaps, is that the overall design has been cluttered up while losing the E89's most graceful feature: the front and rear fender character lines that nearly meet on the sides. That treatment was classic roadster styling (done so fantastically on the 507) and is replaced by a single line rising from front wheel to taillight. The overall effect to me is more like a modded Honda S2000 than a BMW Z. So, Zyal8r, your guess that it's all a nod to an Asian and younger demographic is no doubt true. Especially given their partnership with Toyota on this.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)
Today's Posts Search