N63 Class Action Finalized and Effective as of 10/12/18 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-16-2018, 11:34 AM
Jerry 745Li Jerry 745Li is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Limerick, PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 679
Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
N63 Class Action Finalized and Effective as of 10/12/18

I am officially the 1st customer to schedule my vehicle for the oil consumption test at BMW of Devon in PA under the terms of the settlement agreement in the class action, Bang vs. BMW. I know I'm first because when I called them they said they had not been made aware of the outcome and could not schedule my service. An hour later they called back and said they just received the 14 page TSB that requires 6-8 hours to perform and I'm the first. They will put me in a loaner and begin the consumption test on October 29th. I can tell you now that it is a quart every 700 miles. If they end up saying this is acceptable then I really will be at a loss for words.
I'll update this thread after the test to see if they think the car consumes too much oil and if so, what they want to charge me for the new engine (I'm responsible for 45% of the cost if that is the solution).

Jerry
__________________

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-30-2018, 10:30 AM
tinkoo81 tinkoo81 is offline
Registered User
Location: Herndon
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry 745Li View Post
I am officially the 1st customer to schedule my vehicle for the oil consumption test at BMW of Devon in PA under the terms of the settlement agreement in the class action, Bang vs. BMW. I know I'm first because when I called them they said they had not been made aware of the outcome and could not schedule my service. An hour later they called back and said they just received the 14 page TSB that requires 6-8 hours to perform and I'm the first. They will put me in a loaner and begin the consumption test on October 29th. I can tell you now that it is a quart every 700 miles. If they end up saying this is acceptable then I really will be at a loss for words.
I'll update this thread after the test to see if they think the car consumes too much oil and if so, what they want to charge me for the new engine (I'm responsible for 45% of the cost if that is the solution).

Jerry
How did it go? For me they are saying engine replacement. I am responsible for 60% of cost which came out around $6.2K.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-30-2018, 11:28 AM
Jerry 745Li Jerry 745Li is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Limerick, PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 679
Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkoo81 View Post
How did it go? For me they are saying engine replacement. I am responsible for 60% of cost which came out around $6.2K.
Just called me today and said they submitted an engine replacement request for approval as well. Didn't even have me do the oil consumption test. Haven't discussed price yet. I'm returning the loaner today and will ask to talk to the shop foreman, who is the only person allowed to perform the SIB on a vehicle brought in for the consumption testing. I want to ask if it is the pistons rings, turbos, valve guide seals or what is causing the consumption. I also want to see if I can get him to reveal the SIB number because I would like to see what procedures they are required to perform on the car to determine if it needs a replacement engine. Once I get the bad news on cost I'll post. I'm responsible for 45%, so assuming its about $10K for a replacement I'd be on the hook for $4500ish. Which, in my opinion, would be worth it if planning to keep the car for a while. However, I have a hybrid with an expensive battery that will probably need replacing in a couple of years. So all of that cost combined means I should just trade it.

Jerry
__________________

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 10-30-2018, 02:21 PM
garrett4g garrett4g is offline
Registered User
Location: Huntington Beach
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 750i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkoo81 View Post
How did it go? For me they are saying engine replacement. I am responsible for 60% of cost which came out around $6.2K.

So they quoted your engine replacement at +/- $10,333? I was wondering what these would come in at. I have 105,000 miles so I think I'm either 70% or 80% responsible. With my 2010 750i was worth more so it was worth doing.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-30-2018, 06:32 PM
tinkoo81 tinkoo81 is offline
Registered User
Location: Herndon
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 330ci
So they quoted your engine replacement at +/- $10,333? I was wondering what these would come in at. I have 105,000 miles so I think I'm either 70% or 80% responsible. With my 2010 750i was worth more so it was worth doing.[/QUOTE]

Yeah... thinking if i should go for it.. i wonder if it's worth it. car is really junk in current condition and i still have loan on it.

so did you go for the repair? how much did they quote yoy
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-30-2018, 07:32 PM
Jerry 745Li Jerry 745Li is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Limerick, PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 679
Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
I picked up my car today, they didn't even wash it for me! Anyway, the paperwork indicates they performed SIB 01 29 18, which I can't find anywhere on the Internet yet. On my car they said "smoking tailpipe, oil leak from front cover and upper pan gasket, No leaks found on Turbos. Case submitted for engine replacement." I was told it takes about 2 days to get approval. They also said the engines won't be available until late January. They also said the price of the engine used to be $18K


Jerry
__________________

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-31-2018, 04:44 AM
tinkoo81 tinkoo81 is offline
Registered User
Location: Herndon
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry 745Li View Post
I picked up my car today, they didn't even wash it for me! Anyway, the paperwork indicates they performed SIB 01 29 18, which I can't find anywhere on the Internet yet. On my car they said "smoking tailpipe, oil leak from front cover and upper pan gasket, No leaks found on Turbos. Case submitted for engine replacement." I was told it takes about 2 days to get approval. They also said the engines won't be available until late January. They also said the price of the engine used to be $18K


Jerry
This is not a good service. To wait another three months and incurr addtional oil costs makes no sense.. my dealership has not given me any timeline on engine replacement.. hope its not January as there are some other issues with the car..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-06-2018, 11:58 AM
Jerry 745Li Jerry 745Li is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Limerick, PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 679
Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
Finally got a call back from the dealer and they sure confused the hell out of me. Basically they are giving me a price of $6131.54 which is what he labeled the "worse case scenario" That price includes the turbos and all connecting lines and anything else that may need to be replaced that is not a part of the engine block they are putting in. If the turbos are fine then I'm told I can deduct $1300 from that price. But when I pushed for more details on parts and labor I couldn't get a straight answer. The problem I see here is that they can get into replacing the engine and say a bunch of other stuff is broken that you are on the hook for. So you may go in expecting to pay 5K and it turns into 7K. Not sure what to do here.
__________________

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-06-2018, 07:00 PM
tinkoo81 tinkoo81 is offline
Registered User
Location: Herndon
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry 745Li View Post
Finally got a call back from the dealer and they sure confused the hell out of me. Basically they are giving me a price of $6131.54 which is what he labeled the "worse case scenario" That price includes the turbos and all connecting lines and anything else that may need to be replaced that is not a part of the engine block they are putting in. If the turbos are fine then I'm told I can deduct $1300 from that price. But when I pushed for more details on parts and labor I couldn't get a straight answer. The problem I see here is that they can get into replacing the engine and say a bunch of other stuff is broken that you are on the hook for. So you may go in expecting to pay 5K and it turns into 7K. Not sure what to do here.
Seems like my does not include turbos.
I am responsible for 60% and my quote is same as yours. I have asked for a breakdown of estimate as well. I have not received it yet. Actually, he never respondes to this question. Are you going with the replacement? Engines wont come out till December to January.

Last edited by tinkoo81; 11-06-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-07-2018, 04:41 AM
Jerry 745Li Jerry 745Li is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Limerick, PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 679
Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkoo81 View Post
Seems like my does not include turbos.
I am responsible for 60% and my quote is same as yours. I have asked for a breakdown of estimate as well. I have not received it yet. Actually, he never respondes to this question. Are you going with the replacement? Engines wont come out till December to January.
Still on the fence about what to do. I'd be OK with a cost in the 4000s, but not 6K. I get my yearly bonus at the end of February so I could easily pay cash. Everyone I talked to says dump the car, take the money that you would spend on the engine replacement and put it toward another car. If I didn't have the hybrid battery to worry about I'd probably do the engine since the rest of my car is in excellent condition. I'm waiting on an email outlining the cost. Once I get that I'll post the info.

Jerry
__________________

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-07-2018, 11:30 AM
Ninamg7 Ninamg7 is offline
Registered User
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: 2012 750Li Xdrive
That's all good to hear engine replacement but if you're like me, have a stack of work order repairs, to include both turbo replaced, valve stems, oil seals etc, this engine should come as a freebie. I have $23k in parts and labor repair cost and a now 120k miles. Does not include the number of runflats replaced. We as BMW N63 bad engine owners deserve better. As a Disabled Vet, with a headache 12 BMW 750LI DRive, that solution to pay 60-80%cost is bogus and most will be labor rest assured. By something else guys, I'm not sure after 20 years of BMW if I'd like to have another.... But we'll see!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-08-2018, 06:16 PM
tinkoo81 tinkoo81 is offline
Registered User
Location: Herndon
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry 745Li View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkoo81 View Post
Seems like my does not include turbos.
I am responsible for 60% and my quote is same as yours. I have asked for a breakdown of estimate as well. I have not received it yet. Actually, he never respondes to this question. Are you going with the replacement? Engines wont come out till December to January.
Still on the fence about what to do. I'd be OK with a cost in the 4000s, but not 6K. I get my yearly bonus at the end of February so I could easily pay cash. Everyone I talked to says dump the car, take the money that you would spend on the engine replacement and put it toward another car. If I didn't have the hybrid battery to worry about I'd probably do the engine since the rest of my car is in excellent condition. I'm waiting on an email outlining the cost. Once I get that I'll post the info.

Jerry
I will wait for the break down as well. I am underwater quite a bit on this car. So not really sure what I should do. Car has some other problems as well. I wish they just fixed the stem valves and called it a day.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-08-2018, 06:17 PM
tinkoo81 tinkoo81 is offline
Registered User
Location: Herndon
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninamg7 View Post
That's all good to hear engine replacement but if you're like me, have a stack of work order repairs, to include both turbo replaced, valve stems, oil seals etc, this engine should come as a freebie. I have $23k in parts and labor repair cost and a now 120k miles. Does not include the number of runflats replaced. We as BMW N63 bad engine owners deserve better. As a Disabled Vet, with a headache 12 BMW 750LI DRive, that solution to pay 60-80%cost is bogus and most will be labor rest assured. By something else guys, I'm not sure after 20 years of BMW if I'd like to have another.... But we'll see!
Agree...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-09-2018, 03:30 AM
bmwoem1 bmwoem1 is offline
Regional Sponsor
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 657
Mein Auto: X3
Looks like most of these will need complete engines under the guidelines. It will be a rare occurrence to have one that passes all the criteria to warrant only the valve stem seal repair


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-09-2018, 05:07 AM
Jerry 745Li Jerry 745Li is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Limerick, PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 679
Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwoem1 View Post
Looks like most of these will need complete engines under the guidelines. It will be a rare occurrence to have one that passes all the criteria to warrant only the valve stem seal repair


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Even if its just the valve stems you get a replacement ( I wouldn't say new, I assume they are going to remanufacture the blocks). The amount of labor to replace the valve stems is greater than an engine swap.
__________________

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-09-2018, 03:16 PM
Jerry 745Li Jerry 745Li is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Limerick, PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 679
Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
Here's the pricing I was given

I've attached images of the pricing that I was given. This should give anyone looking to replace the N63 engine an idea of the cost involved. Remember that because I'm between 80-90K miles my contribution is 45% of the total cost. This number varies based on mileage and is what was agreed upon as part of the class settlement. I don't think I will go forward with the replacement and trade it early next year.


Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	N63-1.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	827191   Click image for larger version

Name:	N63-2.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	827193   Click image for larger version

Name:	N63-3.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	827195  
__________________

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-12-2018, 09:45 PM
TXSTYLE's Avatar
TXSTYLE TXSTYLE is offline
The Entertainment Guru
Location: The GYM! (Plano,TX)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 10,906
Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Great info. I'm at 65k miles and I received the extended warranty letter from BMW months ago. Guess I'll take her in and see what they say...
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/YdmhJBM.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-13-2018, 09:19 AM
Jerry 745Li Jerry 745Li is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Limerick, PA
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 679
Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Great info. I'm at 65k miles and I received the extended warranty letter from BMW months ago. Guess I'll take her in and see what they say...
If you are burning oil and have only 65K miles you are in a much better position to get a new engine at a lower out of pocket cost. May only cost you 4K more or less. If you plan on keeping the car for a while then the 4K investment would be a very good deal.

Jerry
__________________

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-14-2018, 05:07 AM
tinkoo81 tinkoo81 is offline
Registered User
Location: Herndon
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry 745Li View Post
I've attached images of the pricing that I was given. This should give anyone looking to replace the N63 engine an idea of the cost involved. Remember that because I'm between 80-90K miles my contribution is 45% of the total cost. This number varies based on mileage and is what was agreed upon as part of the class settlement. I don't think I will go forward with the replacement and trade it early next year.


Jerry
I still have not received the estimate. Let me reach out to them.

It seems engine is expensive as compared to the short block you can buy
https://www.jakesweeneybmwparts.com/...SABEgKfafD_BwE

It's a 3k difference.

Last edited by tinkoo81; 11-14-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-15-2018, 11:03 AM
sampatel1's Avatar
sampatel1 sampatel1 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dallas
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 333
Mein Auto: BMW 2013 - 750Li
BMW replaced my Engine and it looks like it is now needing 1 QT Oil after 6000 miles (earlier whenever I did an Oil change, the indicator would come after 2500 miles and then after every 1200 miles as I added only 1 QT whenever the indicator came up)
So if it is asking me to top up oil after 6000 miles, then that means the engine is still burning oil but at a slower rate.
I have taken a 5 year warranty recently and so a bit relaxed, but still hate the part on how it burns oil
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-15-2018, 06:50 PM
wjhughes420384's Avatar
wjhughes420384 wjhughes420384 is offline
whughes
Location: Jarrettsville md
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,975
Mein Auto: 2009 750li, 2018 X5
if you are swapping out the engine replace all the hoses, some of the hoses will cost you thousands of dollars if you wait for them to fail. the turbo hoses require removing the turbos, the high pressure oil lines I think you need to pull the engine. (the high pressure oil lines is what went and blew my engine) The hoses are dirt cheap while the engine is being swapped out!
__________________

2009 750Li - Space Grau Metallic, Camera pkg, Conv pkg, Driver Asst pkg, Lux Seat pkg, Lux rear seat pkg, Prem sound pkg, Sport pkg, HUD, Massaging rear seats, Smartphone integration, Sat radio, MTEC H8 4750K Halo lights,
Dinan Stage 1 SW, Air intake, Free Flow Exhaust, Camber Arm
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-16-2018, 09:02 AM
garrett4g garrett4g is offline
Registered User
Location: Huntington Beach
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 750i M Sport
Dropped my car off at BMW for its Oil Consumption Test. They basically checked everything out, verified no leaks, verified no smoke blowing out of tail pipes, changed my battery, and flashed my car with the most current software. Everything showed fine.
They measured the amount of oil in my car and put seals on the oil fill cap and drain plug. I am now tasked with driving 1,000 miles and then bringing it back so they can re-measure the oil. BMW will then determine if my car is in spec or out of spec and if I qualify for a new engine or not.

Not exactly what I wanted because I have a 2010 750i with 106,000 miles on it and I am responsible for 70% of the cost (i think), and I don't really want to sink that munch money back into her. I was hoping they would find a problem they can actually fix!

One thing I do know is I measure my oil consumption by recording the miles I add 1 quart of oil, every time the low oil light goes on. The last quart was 675 miles and the one before was 740 miles. Point is, my car drinks oil so I think I know where the test results are headed.

Last edited by garrett4g; 11-16-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-16-2018, 09:12 AM
TXSTYLE's Avatar
TXSTYLE TXSTYLE is offline
The Entertainment Guru
Location: The GYM! (Plano,TX)
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 10,906
Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Is anyone being told that for this particular repair(s) that Loan Cars aren't available? Instead they are giving priority to customers requiring routine maintenance or such? I was told they can only provide "Shuttle Service" while they check/test my car.

WTF??? I'll be on the horn with BMW NA tomorrow. I mean, there is a reason BMW and it's local dealers have craptastic reviews.
__________________
https://i.imgur.com/YdmhJBM.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-16-2018, 10:26 AM
garrett4g garrett4g is offline
Registered User
Location: Huntington Beach
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 24
Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 750i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Is anyone being told that for this particular repair(s) that Loan Cars aren't available? Instead they are giving priority to customers requiring routine maintenance or such? I was told they can only provide "Shuttle Service" while they check/test my car.

WTF??? I'll be on the horn with BMW NA tomorrow. I mean, there is a reason BMW and it's local dealers have craptastic reviews.

I received a loaner for this. I think it has a lot to do with what dealer you go to and how cheap they are.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Cmhyde72 Cmhyde72 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pearland, Texas
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 321
Mein Auto: 750LI
Agreed, I get a loaner no matter what it is. I have a great relationship with my Service advisor and service manager. I drop my car off, sign the papers for the loaner, and leave. I'm never there more than 10 minutes. Last time they asked if I wanted a 6 or 7 series for a loaner.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.