N63 Class Action Finalized and Effective as of 10/12/18 - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmhyde72 View Post
Agreed, I get a loaner no matter what it is. I have a great relationship with my Service advisor and service manager. I drop my car off, sign the papers for the loaner, and leave. I'm never there more than 10 minutes. Last time they asked if I wanted a 6 or 7 series for a loaner.
That's pretty sweet.. They gave me Caddilac XTS from enterprise. I was told engine will take six weeks to arrive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2018, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 750i M Sport
What is your total replacement cost and what are you responsible for?
Old 11-22-2018, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett4g View Post
What is your total replacement cost and what are you responsible for?
I am still waiting for the estimate.. I will be responsible for 45%. High level they said 6K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2018, 12:25 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry 745Li View Post
I am officially the 1st customer to schedule my vehicle for the oil consumption test at BMW of Devon in PA under the terms of the settlement agreement in the class action, Bang vs. BMW. I know I'm first because when I called them they said they had not been made aware of the outcome and could not schedule my service. An hour later they called back and said they just received the 14 page TSB that requires 6-8 hours to perform and I'm the first. They will put me in a loaner and begin the consumption test on October 29th. I can tell you now that it is a quart every 700 miles. If they end up saying this is acceptable then I really will be at a loss for words.
I'll update this thread after the test to see if they think the car consumes too much oil and if so, what they want to charge me for the new engine (I'm responsible for 45% of the cost if that is the solution).
Y
Jerry
So I have a 2011 750li with around 85k on it. Took it to BMW after contacting them about the law suit. They took the car and about 3 days later call me to let me know they got approval to replace the valve stem seals. I knew the car would fail the oil consumption check because I was adding oil about every 500-700 miles. I pointed them in the direction of the valve stem seal when I brought it in as well. It's a great car, so that is the first attempt to fix the oil consumption problem. Side note I took the car to an independent German auto shop and they kind of told me they suspected the valve stem seals as well. At no cost I hope this fixes my problem.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zabdielhamilton View Post
So I have a 2011 750li with around 85k on it. Took it to BMW after contacting them about the law suit. They took the car and about 3 days later call me to let me know they got approval to replace the valve stem seals. I knew the car would fail the oil consumption check because I was adding oil about every 500-700 miles. I pointed them in the direction of the valve stem seal when I brought it in as well. It's a great car, so that is the first attempt to fix the oil consumption problem. Side note I took the car to an independent German auto shop and they kind of told me they suspected the valve stem seals as well. At no cost I hope this fixes my problem.
I find it odd that they want to fix the valve stem seals as that job is more labor hours than replacing the whole engine. My seals are bad as well but they want to swap the whole engine. Better check that there is really "no cost" to you. Everyone has to pay a percentage.

Jerry

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search

Last edited by Jerry 745Li; 11-23-2018 at 04:46 AM.
Old 11-23-2018, 06:49 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Quote:
I find it odd that they want to fix the valve stem seals as that job is more labor hours than replacing the whole engine. My seals are bad as well but they want to swap the whole engine. Better check that there is really "no cost" to you. Everyone has to pay a percentage.

Jerry
This car was pampered so it doesn't surprise me that the only problem is the valve stem seals so we will have to see. After doing a lot of troubleshooting and taking it to the independent German auto shop they also determined 90% chance it was the seals as well. All the symptoms match and it had no power loss or anything else wrong with it.
BMW is required to "fix" at no cost to you the oil consumption problem. (Up to 2 or 3 attempts I believe) The only time you are responsible for any kind of costs share is if they determine that engine replacement is necessary then it depends on the mileage to break down the cost. For example most people are over 85K miles which BMW will pay 55% towards the TOTAL cost of replacing the engine.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:29 PM
whughes

Mein Auto: 2009 750li, 2018 X5
Quote:
This car was pampered so it doesn't surprise me that the only problem is the valve stem seals so we will have to see. After doing a lot of troubleshooting and taking it to the independent German auto shop they also determined 90% chance it was the seals as well. All the symptoms match and it had no power loss or anything else wrong with it.
BMW is required to "fix" at no cost to you the oil consumption problem. (Up to 2 or 3 attempts I believe) The only time you are responsible for any kind of costs share is if they determine that engine replacement is necessary then it depends on the mileage to break down the cost. For example most people are over 85K miles which BMW will pay 55% towards the TOTAL cost of replacing the engine.
"Pampered" is not the way this car was designed, I drive the hell out of my 7, and even track it 2-3 times a year, I got to 180k miles with no oil consumption problems! I blew an oil line at 180k and blew the engine, (change your high pressure oil lines before 150k) but I did not burn much oil at that point. new engine doing well so far.

2009 750Li - Space Grau Metallic, Camera pkg, Conv pkg, Driver Asst pkg, Lux Seat pkg, Lux rear seat pkg, Prem sound pkg, Sport pkg, HUD, Massaging rear seats, Smartphone integration, Sat radio, MTEC H8 4750K Halo lights,
Dinan Stage 1 SW, Air intake, Free Flow Exhaust, Camber Arm
Old 11-24-2018, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto:
T

Last edited by tonyjenkins77; 11-24-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto:
How recent is this class action law suite?
Old 11-25-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjenkins77 View Post
How recent is this class action law suite?
The suit has been on going for a few years but was finalized in October. All owners of a BMW with an N63 engine should have received paperwork about the class action in the mail unless there was a problem with the address on file. But even if you didn't receive paperwork you can still walk into any dealer and request an engine oil consumption test free of charge.

Jerry

Old 11-25-2018, 08:59 AM

Mein Auto:
Thanks Jerry

Last edited by tonyjenkins77; 11-25-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 12:03 PM

Dealer gave me a time frame to decide

I got a call from the dealer who said they were giving me 24 hours to decide if I wanted to proceed with the engine replacement or not. If I did not decide I forfeited my claim and could not request an engine in the future. I contacted the lawyers representing the class and asked if they could do that. I didn't receive a reply back, probably because the claim is settled and they got paid. Anyway, I would warn anyone that you may have to make a decision to proceed with a replacement within a certain period of time. I told the dealer I was not going through with the engine swap. This may be the last BMW I own.

Jerry

Old 11-28-2018, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I got a call from the dealer who said they were giving me 24 hours to decide if I wanted to proceed with the engine replacement or not. If I did not decide I forfeited my claim and could not request an engine in the future. I contacted the lawyers representing the class and asked if they could do that. I didn't receive a reply back, probably because the claim is settled and they got paid. Anyway, I would warn anyone that you may have to make a decision to proceed with a replacement within a certain period of time. I told the dealer I was not going through with the engine swap. This may be the last BMW I own.

Jerry
Just left BMW of tuscaloosa and they told me my engine was blown at 74,000 miles. $9000 plus for new engine. I didn't even have a chance to get the test done. Smh.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Quote:

Jerry
So got my 2011 BMW 750li back from the dealership and they went through the entire engine bay including a multipoint inspection. They compression checked all cylinders and then replaced all the valve stem seals and rebuilt the top end of the motor. They also did something I didn't expect. They replaced the battery. Found that it was a 90amph and replaced it with a 105amph battery. This was all done under the class action settlement. My car has 85600 miles on it and the total cost was.......drumroll....$0.00. All work warranties. The car did have a check engine light when I went to pick it up due to a broken wire so they are fixing that issue now. Overall best dealership experience I have ever had.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:38 PM
Love/Hate Bimmer *****

Mein Auto: 2012 750ix
Quote:
The suit has been on going for a few years but was finalized in October. All owners of a BMW with an N63 engine should have received paperwork about the class action in the mail unless there was a problem with the address on file. But even if you didn't receive paperwork you can still walk into any dealer and request an engine oil consumption test free of charge.

Jerry
Are you sure anyone can? According to the settlement website, the deadline to file a claim and qualify for settlement benefits, i.e. consumption test, valve stem or engine replacement, etc., was 10/12/18.

https://bangclasssettlement.com/

If you have other info please share. Perhaps I'm looking at a different settlement?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 11-28-2018, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto:
Which BMW dealer?

Last edited by tonyjenkins77; 11-28-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto:
[QUOTE=taylormade73;12825353]
Quote:

Jerry
Are you sure anyone can? According to the settlement website, the deadline to file a claim and qualify for settlement benefits, i.e. consumption test, valve stem or engine replacement, etc., was 10/12/18.

If you have other info please share. Perhaps I'm looking at a different settlement?

I did not submit a claim to get my valvestem seals replaced.
The settlement states that only if you are seeking re-embursement for past oil changes and costs associated.
There is a section that states if you just want to have an consumption check done call the dealership after the classaction was settled. Which is what I did.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 x5 50i
Quote:
So got my 2011 BMW 750li back from the dealership and they went through the entire engine bay including a multipoint inspection. They compression checked all cylinders and then replaced all the valve stem seals and rebuilt the top end of the motor. They also did something I didn't expect. They replaced the battery. Found that it was a 90amph and replaced it with a 105amph battery. This was all done under the class action settlement. My car has 85600 miles on it and the total cost was.......drumroll....$0.00. All work warranties. The car did have a check engine light when I went to pick it up due to a broken wire so they are fixing that issue now. Overall best dealership experience I have ever had.
congrats! what dealer is it?
Old 11-29-2018, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 750Li
[QUOTE=Zabdielhamilton;12825435]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylormade73 View Post

The settlement states that only if you are seeking re-embursement for past oil changes and costs associated.
There is a section that states if you just want to have an consumption check done call the dealership after the classaction was settled. Which is what I did.
hmm I never received a letter with this class action lawsuit and am way past the October deadline.
I actually took my 2010 750li x to the dealer about a year and a half ago because of the oil consumption. They topped off the oil and told me to drive 1,000. Took it back in, they did a 'bore' video inspection of the seals and I had Carchex warranty. Carchex said that the seals were LEAKING and would only cover if it was BROKEN. The bmw rep tried telling them that they don't necessarily break. Carchex wasn't having it and basically that was their loophole to deny the coverage.
Long story short, I still have the vehicle, never received this letter.

So I can just call to make an appointment and they will fix the seals? I don't even have 65,000 miles on this car and it had this issue around 52,000 miles

When it's very cold out, I let my car warm up for at least 5 minutes and when I put it on Drive, it struggles to leave the position that I am parked in. If I give it gas over about 30mph, it struggles and just yesterday I had the Drivetrain malfunction error.

Would it be good to do the valve stem seal replacements or new engine?

Thanks for any help guys.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennik View Post
Quote:
congrats! what dealer is it?
BMW of Vista in California believe it or not.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:29 AM

[QUOTE=Zabdielhamilton;12825435]
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylormade73 View Post

Unfortunately you missed the deadline to get possible reimbursement for the cost to replace the valve stem seals. I'm not sure there is anything you can do. You could try to contact the lawyers for the settlement to see if you have any recourse.

Jerry

Old 11-30-2018, 10:28 AM

Mein Auto:
Did you apply before the deadline or did you just take your car in?
Old 11-30-2018, 10:32 AM

Mein Auto:

Last edited by tonyjenkins77; 11-30-2018 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto:

Last edited by tonyjenkins77; 11-30-2018 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Wrong post
Old 11-30-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjenkins77 View Post
Did you apply before the deadline or did you just take your car in?
You don't have to apply for anything if you want to get a vehicle oil consumption test. Call the dealer and ask for an appointment for an oil consumption test and refer the class action lawsuit. All the dealers have been made aware of the suit. They took my car for 2 days, gave me a loaner and told me I needed a new engine. The consumption test cost me nothing. the replacement engine will cost around $6K. I opted not to dump 6K into a 7 year old car at this time.

Jerry

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search