N63 Class Action Finalized and Effective as of 10/12/18 - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750Li
I had called back in December and they told me January would be the earliest they had an appointment along with a loaner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto:
Has any one gotten an update on the release of the N63 engines yet?
Old 01-23-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjenkins77 View Post
mine didn't qualify for an engine swap.
Seals are going to be replaced
Seems like they are being a bit more strict. Looks like the people who took their vehicles as soon as the lawsuit ended were fortunate to get engine swaps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2019, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto:
Thanks bud
Old 01-23-2019, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 14 328d wagon
I've known since day one of this debacle that BMW would make their customers eat it.
My question is:
Would MB treat you any different?
Old 01-23-2019, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santorini Blue View Post
I've known since day one of this debacle that BMW would make their customers eat it.
My question is:
Would MB treat you any different?
Wish I would have known. Lol
Old 01-24-2019, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Are any of you being told that your dealer will NOT provide a Loaner car for this?

My sorry ass dealer did not. Tried to get BMW involved and was told that since it was "Not part of the Class Action Settlement" the dealers don't have to, but "it would be considerate."

Yeah, no sh1t.
Yep.. they took my loaner back.. I am livid at the moment.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgarcia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjenkins77 View Post
mine didn't qualify for an engine swap.
Seals are going to be replaced
Seems like they are being a bit more strict. Looks like the people who took their vehicles as soon as the lawsuit ended were fortunate to get engine swaps.
They are having problems with engines... I have to wait till June to get a new engine. Not sure they will have it by then either. I was the first at my dealership...
Old 01-26-2019, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto:
December 15th car went in. Valve seals done on the engine. VANOS repaired. 3 weeks later I get it back. 2 days later something catrostrophic goes wrong and I am getting a new engine - they did something wrong in the valve seal replacement I believe because they could not tell me what caused the engine to make the noise.

He explained to me engines are back ordered and should be the end of February early March.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkoo81 View Post
They are having problems with engines... I have to wait till June to get a new engine. Not sure they will have it by then either. I was the first at my dealership...
I would have preferred a new (refurb more than likely) engine as well. They are replacing my valve stem seals.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon690 View Post
December 15th car went in. Valve seals done on the engine. VANOS repaired. 3 weeks later I get it back. 2 days later something catrostrophic goes wrong and I am getting a new engine - they did something wrong in the valve seal replacement I believe because they could not tell me what caused the engine to make the noise.

He explained to me engines are back ordered and should be the end of February early March.
what happened to the engine?
They are replacing my seals. I should be getting mine sometime next week
Old 01-30-2019, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto:
It sounded like a intake hose came off but my sa told me that.but they took pictures and video to send to bmw who approved an engine. Still can't tell me what happened.

Before I gave them the car there was some steam coming out the headlight area, a noise from the engine that sounded like air was coming out in pulses in rhythm with the engine (almost like a hydro locked engine from watching YouTube videos) and chain like noise from the inside of the car.

Still not sure what happened but I've been told end of feb/March for new engine due to them being on back order
Old 01-31-2019, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 750i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrett4g View Post
Well, results are back from the oil consumption test. She burns oil. I estimate she burned about 1.5 - 1.75 quarts during my 1,000 mile oil consumption test. BMW is going to try to fix the engine as opposed to replacing it. They are replacing all seals (valve guide, rear main, head gasket, and whatever other seals exist). I'm also getting new turbo oil and coolant lines. I'm now at 107,000 miles but had the valve guide seals replaced at about 40,000 miles. Service adviser said there is now a "version 2" seal that is suppose to work better. They have been working on the car for nearly 2 weeks now and say they may need another week.

Things to note:
1) BMW was paying labor if I wanted to replace any other preventative parts to the engine while it was apart and out. SO, I'm replacing the other 2 coolant hoses, at a parts only price. I needed plugs and coils at my mileage anyways so they are doing that too, at a parts only price.

2) The simple fact that there is now Version 2 valve guide seals is alarming. In my mind, anyone who actually paid for Version 1 should have a claim or argument against BMW as by definition, Version 1 didn't work if they now have Version 2. Food for thought....

3) I was wondering why they are trying to fix as opposed to replace. Thoughts: a) The engines have a very long lead time as explained on this forum. b) My engine has 107,000 miles which means they likely don't want to rebuild it so it has no value to BMW. c) I'm happy because I wouldn't want to pay the 70% or 80% of the replacement for a 9 year old car with 107,000 miles on it.

More to come when I get her back.
Got the car back 2 weeks ago but haven't had time to update.
All work was performed as outlined above. She seems to be running normally. I am just curious to see if these new seals actually work! Only time will tell and if they don't I wonder if BMW will be there to assist.

I had a loaner the entire time approx 3.5 weeks so those who didn't get one or who got their loaner taken from them; wow, that sucks.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
Quote:
All work was performed as outlined above. She seems to be running normally. I am just curious to see if these new seals actually work! Only time will tell and if they don't I wonder if BMW will be there to assist.

I had a loaner the entire time approx 3.5 weeks so those who didn't get one or who got their loaner taken from them; wow, that sucks.
I just had my high pressure fuel pump replaced at an Independent shop. I spoke to the owner about the N63 debacle and he responded by saying nothing can fix the engine, only a new engine would solve the problems. When I pressed him to elaborate he wouldn't. So I would love to see owners who had engines repaired report back 1-2 years after to see if the problems were indeed fixed.

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search
Old 01-31-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:

do you mind going to the thread I wrote and compare your service sheet to mine?
I posted 3 pictures up of the work that was done.

I got the seals replaced.

I also had 2 coolant turbo lines replaced. Service agent said it was a $2k job and they charged me around $750, parts and labor.

They also gave me a new battery and replaced the camshaft

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1315459
Old 02-01-2019, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2013 - 750Li
The seals are not going to do anything.
They need to change the engine. Seals replacement is simply a band air without fixing the underlying cause
Old 02-23-2019, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto:
I guess there are 485 engines being requested, I heard they release 2 per region a month and I am the 5th person at my dealership needing an engine. Turns out I need the long block, my old engine according to them has too much "internal scoring "... not sure what that means
Old 03-12-2019, 09:36 PM
joro2819

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 750LI
I had a hairline crack in cylinder 3 and my engine was replaced 3 years ago. I have put about 36k on it and no problems at all. May have added oil twice in between oil changes but I change my oil every 5 to 7k. I did not incur any cost at all and this included new turbos. The bill was 26k and it was a new block from Germany.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: Not a BMW
If you go in for oil consumption, you are trying to get a motor which takes a long process and motors are back ordered and you'll owe majority of the costs based off miles on your vehicle.

Now if you say smoke from exhaust with consumption, you'll get engine repairs dont fred if the tech that's working on your claim is good enough to make work happen with Tc of BMW. This options always better as BMW doesnt want to just replace the motors.

And btw a new motor will still have the same e issues in 15-30k miles. It's the engineering of the n63.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto:
Class action lawsuit contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry 745Li View Post
I've attached images of the pricing that I was given. This should give anyone looking to replace the N63 engine an idea of the cost involved. Remember that because I'm between 80-90K miles my contribution is 45% of the total cost. This number varies based on mileage and is what was agreed upon as part of the class settlement. I don't think I will go forward with the replacement and trade it early next year.

Jerry
What percentage do Inhave to pay with 36K miles ? Where do I find the contribution chart?
Old 03-21-2019, 02:51 PM

You advisor will notify you of the percentage. Engine will take forever for approval anyways. We just got one in 9 months later
Old 03-23-2019, 03:20 AM

Mein Auto:
I need a new motor and have 36000 miles. What would my contribution be?
Old 03-23-2019, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkjessler View Post
I need a new motor and have 36000 miles. What would my contribution be?
The lowest mileage range listed on the chart starts at 50,000 to 60,000 at which you are responsible for only 5% of the total cost of the replacement. At 36K miles I'd assume you fall into that category unless you are still under a full bumper to bumper warranty then I'd fight for zero cost contribution.

Jerry

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search
Old 03-23-2019, 01:25 PM

Very small percent get a motor. You engine needs to have all 3 leaks and actively leaking as the engine is running and smoking from the exhaust. Engines are on backorder with no ETA.
Old 03-23-2019, 03:32 PM

came back to report I noticed a strange sound coming from what appears like in the middle console, under the hood.
at first I thought it was when I braked but sometimes it does it longer than other times.
I will try to post a video. Hard to explain the noise, it's not soo loud but it's very noticeable

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search