N63 Class Action Finalized and Effective as of 10/12/18 - Page 5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: Not a BMW
probably broken pcv hose ad that makes a hiss/whistle sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2019, 05:55 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Hi Guys,

I`m with you in the N63 replacement club LOL....

Can anyone tell me how many hours are estimate to replace the Short Block?

I`ve my 750 at dealer, the extended warranty will cover only 21.6h and their estimate are 34+...

How I can involve BMW NA in order to help me to pay part of this replacement?
Do I have any chance to get help from them?

Thanks for any advise.
ADF
Old 04-08-2019, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalfo85 View Post
Hi Guys,

I`m with you in the N63 replacement club LOL....

Can anyone tell me how many hours are estimate to replace the Short Block?

I`ve my 750 at dealer, the extended warranty will cover only 21.6h and their estimate are 34+...

How I can involve BMW NA in order to help me to pay part of this replacement?
Do I have any chance to get help from them?

Thanks for any advise.
ADF

I'm not sure if BMW NA will be helpful in this manner but it is definitely worth a shot. I don't have a lot of confidence in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2019, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjenkins77 View Post
I'm not sure if BMW NA will be helpful in this manner but it is definitely worth a shot. I don't have a lot of confidence in them.
I just went to another BMW dealer in my area.
The SA there was very helpful, he said BMW will cover the 40% of the cost due to the class action, after their test.
He offered me a loaner car without asking.

Now the point is, where I have my car they didn't say nothing about it, neither BMW will cover some percentage neither offer me a loaner.

What you guys will do in my foot?

Relocate the car or push the dealer which knows already the history of the car?
Old 04-09-2019, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjenkins77 View Post
I just went to another BMW dealer in my area.
The SA there was very helpful, he said BMW will cover the 40% of the cost due to the class action, after their test.
He offered me a loaner car without asking.

Now the point is, where I have my car they didn't say nothing about it, neither BMW will cover some percentage neither offer me a loaner.

What you guys will do in my foot?

Relocate the car or push the dealer which knows already the history of the car?
Take it to the dealer that's willing to help.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:26 PM

If your in the n63 class action, why are you quoted for hrs? Are you getting a motor or n63 valve stem seals? Is your motor blown? Need more info on your situation.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWtechN63 View Post
If your in the n63 class action, why are you quoted for hrs? Are you getting a motor or n63 valve stem seals? Is your motor blown? Need more info on your situation.
yes, the engine blowed up. Bearing failure. It seems doesn't fall under the class action.
I`m trying to compare the extended warranty estimate with the BMW estimate.

My warranty said they are gonna cover 21,6 h as labor time, BMW need 34h, the gap it`s pretty big. Parts are more or less the same.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:32 AM

Why will your warranty only cover 21hrs? Where does it specify in the ck tract that's all they can do?

Also ask the dealership for where they get the estimate for 34hrs. It might be all data time but actual warranty to swap a motor is 24-25hrs.

If your motor blew, BMW will not cover that under the class action. It is common spun bearings. Sometimes injectors wash out the motor too which could be consequential to the 10year/120k extended warranty but you would need to prove the Injector leaked and caused this. Fault codes stored for Injectors could help with that case if you fight it.

Other than that, let us know.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 2013 - 750Li
Quote:
yes, the engine blowed up. Bearing failure. It seems doesn't fall under the class action.
I`m trying to compare the extended warranty estimate with the BMW estimate.

My warranty said they are gonna cover 21,6 h as labor time, BMW need 34h, the gap it`s pretty big. Parts are more or less the same.
Call a couple of BMW Dealerships in the vicinity and compare the hours/labor required for this job. That should give you a ball park number. If all of them say 34 hours, then your Warranty company needs to accept that. If others are less, then you need to tow your car to the one who is charging the least. Last option is to find an Independent, who will happily do it for 21 hours I guess.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:42 PM

I would not recommend a mom a pop shop for this motor just to save some $$$. Majorty scratch their heads when it comes to this and putting things back together. If you do decide to have a mom and pop, go to a BMW specific one. They will still be behind a little on the n63 technology but should have the proper tools to do the job. You take it to a independent , they will not know what to do let alone put the Injectors back in the correct cylinder or route the turbo vacuum lines correctly.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: '07 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampatel1 View Post
Call a couple of BMW Dealerships in the vicinity and compare the hours/labor required for this job. That should give you a ball park number. If all of them say 34 hours, then your Warranty company needs to accept that. If others are less, then you need to tow your car to the one who is charging the least. Last option is to find an Independent, who will happily do it for 21 hours I guess.
The job on my X6 pays 39 hours of labor. I';m doing it with / at my indy. Waiting on a motor...

Old 04-18-2019, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 7 SERIES F01
Dropped my 2009 750Li at the BMW Dealership in Port Chester, Ny Tuesday for oil consumption testing. Wednesday the SA called me letting me know my car failed. Their going to fix the smoking at the tailpipes, and the oil consumption issue. She said it will take maybe 2-3 weeks. Also they gave me a loner 2019 330xi. A little smaller than my car, but it works. No hassle from the dealership. Let's see when I get my baby back if she still drinks a lot of bottles oil.
Old 04-27-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWtechN63 View Post
Why will your warranty only cover 21hrs? Where does it specify in the ck tract that's all they can do?

Also ask the dealership for where they get the estimate for 34hrs. It might be all data time but actual warranty to swap a motor is 24-25hrs.

If your motor blew, BMW will not cover that under the class action. It is common spun bearings. Sometimes injectors wash out the motor too which could be consequential to the 10year/120k extended warranty but you would need to prove the Injector leaked and caused this. Fault codes stored for Injectors could help with that case if you fight it.

Other than that, let us know.
As I understood, the warranty will pay the labor only for the swap with another used engine. The BMW quoted me the labor to rebuilt the engine changing the block, which need disassemble and re-assemble job I think.

However, BMW seems helping me with the labor rate, they give me an extra discount, so I need to pay out of my pocket 1500$ to get the car back on the road + others things (like radiator and some hoses).

They were helpful, and at the end they approved me for a loaner (from enterprise). I`ve got the new mustang convertible (I`m a mustang guy) which is not bad, but I dont understand why they dont provvide one BMW as loaner. I`m wondering to keep this mustang LOL
Old 05-11-2019, 10:54 PM

Mein Auto:
N63 Class Action Finalized and Effective as of 10/12/18

Well, first post here. I bought a 2012 550i with 67k from a private seller last week. 300 miles later I got the low oil message (was at max when I first got the car). No blue smoke, no smell, doesn't do anything weird. I am looking for a dealer with good reviews in the SoCal area to bring the car in for the oil consumption test. Any advice at this point would be great. I am also thinking about buying an extended warranty

Last edited by Chris1775; 05-12-2019 at 12:37 AM.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:32 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2013 - 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1775 View Post
Well, first post here. I bought a 2012 550i with 67k from a private seller last week. 300 miles later I got the low oil message (was at max when I first got the car). No blue smoke, no smell, doesn't do anything weird. I am looking for a dealer with good reviews in the SoCal area to bring the car in for the oil consumption test. Any advice at this point would be great. I am also thinking about buying an extended warranty
It's going to be difficult to get a good Extended Warranty for that old Car (at least 7 years)
Add 1 Qt of Oil and you can check the consumption yourself until it asks for oil again and be confident when you go to the Dealer. I doubt one dealer would be better than the other in any area. They get paid from BMW if approved and therefore should treat you the same (just imho)
It looks like the previous owner dumped the car due to oil consumption. I do sincerely hope you got a very good deal.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto:
Brought the car in to BMW of San Diego on May 15. They gave me a 330i loaner and proceeded with the oil consumption test. After some back and forth with BMW NA they also conducted a compression test. Today (May 21) I was informed that they will be doing the valve stem seals and the oil separator. He said my car looked really good overall (67k), and I asked for them to look it over and give me an estimate for everything that could possibly need replacing at this time. I also asked that if the car was to start burning oil at any point in future would they would still cover me or would they treat like the CCP from 2014 (one and done kind of thing). My SA said I would be covered, and that the % charged to me would reflect the miles I originally brought the car in with. So I would be looking at 15% if my engine needs replacing at any point. I think Iím doing alright?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 05-21-2019, 09:17 PM

Got my Car back 2 weeks ago. I've driven my car over 700 miles. Not one error on dashboard about adding a quart of oil in the engine. BMW did the work for/ the great price of $000.00. Loved every minute of it. They tried to tell me about flushing my brakes. Told the SA I'll do it myself. 750li running awesome.

Last edited by Prezzi; 05-21-2019 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 05-24-2019, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prezzi View Post
Got my Car back 2 weeks ago. I've driven my car over 700 miles. Not one error on dashboard about adding a quart of oil in the engine. BMW did the work for/ the great price of $000.00. Loved every minute of it. They tried to tell me about flushing my brakes. Told the SA I'll do it myself. 750li running awesome.

Lucky you! I just left the dealer...without my car! They called me and said it was ready to be picked up earlier. I paid them $316 for the spark plugs and went outside to wait for the car. As soon as get in I noticed that it was running rough....sounded like it was misfiring, and the drivetrain malfunction light was on. I walked back in and told them I would not take the car that way. This is was absolutely unacceptable.....

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 05-25-2019, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 750LI
Quote:

Let us know if you need any oil after 3000 miles. You will probably need a half quart.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 750LI
Quote:

Let us know if you need any oil after 3000 miles. You will probably need a half quart.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:52 PM

Ok will do!
Old 06-01-2019, 07:23 AM

I barely use my car so I'm currently at about 1,200 miles since I got my seals replaced under the lawsuit back in February and no signs of low oil yet.
Normall, I would get it within 800 miles of driving.

Here is a video of the weird noise that I posted about after I received the car. Not sure what it is. Any help?
Hope the link works.
Turn the volume all the way up. At first I thought it was when I braked. But it seems to be an intermittent noise. Happens when I'm Idle at a red light, when I brake, accelerate etc...

Last edited by hgarcia; 06-01-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto:
750Lix - 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkoo81 View Post
How did it go? For me they are saying engine replacement. I am responsible for 60% of cost which came out around $6.2K.
Three weeks ago I finished with this oil consumption ( I added 2.5 quarts for 1400-1500 miles bmw 750lxi 69200 miles) but after i finished with this recall i started to have problems with injectors 6-7 , HPFP. the code for HPFP came back every time I erased it. for injectors didnt came back after spark plug change. Good luck. Try another dealer. it looks like they are mickeymouse. you replace the engine when the crank shaft is gone. you can find an engine for 4000$ new at dealer but you have to return the core.

P.S. I notice after the dealership repair they didnt change the bolts cover and others things which lets me wonder if they really changed the valve seal kit...they put the grinder on some parts...disgusting

Last edited by goldtrades; 06-08-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:31 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
*QUESTION*
If you had your Engine replaced under this Class Action Suit. What other work did you have done or need while engine was out? I am being told there are 'suggested repairs that I won't be charged labor but just parts. But it still sounds high to me????
Old 08-01-2019, 05:31 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
*QUESTION*
If you had your Engine replaced under this Class Action Suit. What other work did you have done or need while engine was out? I am being told there are 'suggested repairs that I won't be charged labor but just parts. But it still sounds high to me????

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search