Drivetrain Malfunction Drive moderately maximum output not available see Dealer Servi - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 750Li ďM" Sport Pack
Drivetrain Malfunction Drive moderately maximum output not available see Dealer Servi

So I just recently purchased my 2015 750Li approximately 7 months ago the car has right at 60k miles on it. Yesterday I was on the service ramp to get on the highway and when I went to accelerate I felt the car miss and shutter almost like it has a Fowled plug or bad wire. I immediately called my service dept and explained to them what happened they asked for me to bring it in as soon as possible so I dropped the car off within the hour. This car is not covered under an extended warranty, I paid cold hard cash at the dealership. My question is number 1 has anyone else experienced this and what did it turn out to be? Number 2 any idea of what this is gonna set me back $$$, even ballpark guess would be helpful and number 3 should I get out of this car and into something else. This is my first bmw and just trying to figure out if this is a sign of troubles to come. Any advice opinions would be great! Thanks! Other than this happening I absolutely love this car and the way it drives.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 750 Li
Same thing happened to me at about 35k on my 2015 750 Li. I had warranty coverage so I don't know the real cost, but it was a bad injector. A few months later I got a letter form BMW saying that they were extending the warranty coverage on these injectors as there have been some problems. Look into that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2019, 07:12 AM

Hey thanks for the advice, Iíll definitely do that. Sounds like this has been an issue for many others. Hopefully they will cut me a break, especially since Iíve only had the car 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 08:01 AM
former motorcycle rider

Mein Auto: F87 & F01
BMW has extended the warranty on the HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pumps) as well, which can also cause this condition.

Heck, there are probably about 1785 different things that can cause this. How much it costs depends on the part, how easily it is to diagnose, and how long it takes to fix it. The dealer is by far the most expensive option. I suggest that you start looking for an independent BMW shop in DFW to do your work for you in the future.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerGuy View Post
BMW has extended the warranty on the HPFP (High Pressure Fuel Pumps) as well, which can also cause this condition.

Heck, there are probably about 1785 different things that can cause this. How much it costs depends on the part, how easily it is to diagnose, and how long it takes to fix it. The dealer is by far the most expensive option. I suggest that you start looking for an independent BMW shop in DFW to do your work for you in the future.
High pressure fuel pump extended warranty only applies to the 6 cylinder engine. I had the drivetrain malfunction warning under hard acceleration and it was the HPFP. Had an independent shop replace it and bought the part myself. That warning could be coils, plugs, injectors, pumps, turbos, and on and on.

Jerry

What I forgot to mention is that most problems that result in errors being displayed can be easily diagnosed with ISTA+. It's not that hard to find the software out there on the net and buy the RJ45 to ODB cable for cheap.

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search

Last edited by Jerry 745Li; 06-11-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:47 PM

Well I got a call from the service guy at the Dealership today. Hereís a summarized list of the estimate and what I was told. The warning message was caused by a leaking No. 6 cylinder fuel injector- $1256+tax, also the spark plugs need to be replaced- $525+ tax, also the i/f thrust rod bushing is split and leaking-$645+ tax and that I also have a nail in my back drivers side tire and they are gonna charge me $375+ tax to replace that tire. So all in we are looking at $3012.00 ballpark. I bought this car less than 8 months ago from the same dealership. It is not under any type of extended warranty... At this point I canít help but laugh while Iím on the phone. He said, well? Should we proceed? Yes! I have to fix it, they are too damn big to throw away!

Old 06-11-2019, 10:51 PM

I appreciate everyoneís input and advice. Lesson has been learned. I will start looking for a reputable independent BMW mechanic for all my future needs. Since the car isnít under warranty and Iíll be paying out of pocket, as long as they are certified it really doesnít matter who fixes it right? I mean itís not like it will void the warranty!

Old 06-12-2019, 04:03 AM
former motorcycle rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry 745Li View Post
High pressure fuel pump extended warranty only applies to the 6 cylinder engine.
Inaccurate. My car has the V8 and I got the letter from BMW extending the warranty.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:05 AM
former motorcycle rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by karkidd View Post
I will start looking for a reputable independent BMW mechanic for all my future needs. Since the car isnít under warranty and Iíll be paying out of pocket, as long as they are certified it really doesnít matter who fixes it right?
Rather than go by "certification" I suggest that you ask local folks for recommendations for good shops that do good work at a reasonable price.

Glad to hear that they got it diagnosed, and hopefully once you're past this hump the car will be problem-free.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:13 AM

Mein Auto: 750LI
Never own one of these without a warranty. When I got the dreaded drivetrain malfunction it was a bad coil and injector. The dealership covered all of the coils and the bad injector under warranty. I just paid the deductible. These cars are way too complex and expensive to risk it. I owned numerous Acura's before moving over to the 750Li world. I was accustomed to basic maintenance (oil changes, brakes, fluid changes) etc... and no major issues. With these cars it's not a matter of if but when.. Now that I am almost at the end of my warranty I pray daily nothing else major goes wrong. Also be prepared to go through tires quickly. I have stuck with Pirelli and they don't last long.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto:
Just bought my 2013 750I a month ago 64k miles. Accelerated on the turn and got the drivetrain malfunction. Has a good record of service history and I knew spark plugs were changed in February, I specifically asked if the ignition coils were replaced as well...answer was they weren't sure and wasn't stated on the work order. long story short cylinder #5 misfired due to bad ignition coil. BMW offered to cover 50% of the $1200 to replace all 8 coils. After some back and forth BMW ended up taking care of all 8 ignition coils at no cost because of how close the CPO expiring within days of this happening (also was told to do all 8 because there is a upgraded coil they recommend). I am interested in getting a extended warranty if anyone can share what they have?
Old 06-12-2019, 04:46 PM

I bought mine at the BMW dealership when I bought the car. I bought the top warranty for the longest period of time. So glad I did.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
Quote:
Inaccurate. My car has the V8 and I got the letter from BMW extending the warranty.
N63 or N63TU engine?

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search
Old 06-12-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmhyde72 View Post
Never own one of these without a warranty. When I got the dreaded drivetrain malfunction it was a bad coil and injector. The dealership covered all of the coils and the bad injector under warranty. I just paid the deductible. These cars are way too complex and expensive to risk it. I owned numerous Acura's before moving over to the 750Li world. I was accustomed to basic maintenance (oil changes, brakes, fluid changes) etc... and no major issues. With these cars it's not a matter of if but when.. Now that I am almost at the end of my warranty I pray daily nothing else major goes wrong. Also be prepared to go through tires quickly. I have stuck with Pirelli and they don't last long.

Thanks for the advice! This is the first BMW Iíve owned. Iíve wanted one for many years but wasnít going to settle so I waited and got the Big Boy when the $ was right. Everybody is telling me the exact same thing, always get the extended warranty. I most certainly will next go around.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:23 PM

Just out of curiosity... does $8k sound right for an extended warranty that covers just about everything? Thatís what was offered to me when I purchased the car.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2013 - 750Li
Quote:
Just out of curiosity... does $8k sound right for an extended warranty that covers just about everything? Thatís what was offered to me when I purchased the car.

That's a lot. But, there are several types of warranties from those that cover almost everything up to those that say they will cover everything, but cover nothing.
Do go with the reputed ones only.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:21 AM
former motorcycle rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry 745Li View Post
---Quote (Originally by BeemerGuy)---
N63 or N63TU engine?
2015, N63TU

Quote:
Just out of curiosity... does $8k sound right for an extended warranty that covers just about everything?
It's that "just about" that can get you. I agree that 8K sounds high, but it depends on mileage, time and other limitations.

I don't buy extended warranties other than CPO, and only CPO if I can't get them to take it off. I'd rather have the cash and put it in the bank for the big one. Yes, I know, for some people these extended warranties really pay off (like when the engine grenades) but there's a huge profit margin built into most of them, and that's what you're paying for. For both my wife's and mine and both kids' cars, I've never had a repair come up that justified the cost of an extended warranty.

Also, do your research on the company underwriting the insurance. Make sure that they'll be around tomorrow.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:53 AM

I paid around $4,000 for mine 4 years, 60,000 miles. Pretty much covers everything. The only really expensive out of pocket I have had was replacing the rear shocks....to me it's worth it for the piece of mind. I know if I have an issue I talk to my service advisor, make an appointment, and usually he has a 750 or at least a 740 waiting for me when I get there. We swap keys and I'm on my way.
Old 06-13-2019, 05:04 PM

Went to the Dealership to pick up my car after the costly repairs I mentioned in my first couple comments, walked in paid almost $3k cash. They pulled my car up in line at the service bay, hopped in and as I was pulling out of the dealership... IT HAPPENED AGAIN! Same message as the first time except this time the car was jerking and wouldnít accelerate over 25mph!! I thought it was gonna die right there in the road in front of dealership. Thankfully it made it long enough for me to u-turn and pull back up into service bay. They got it all checked back in and I guess they will let me know whatís wrong in the morning. Hypothetically speaking, since the first go around was on cylinder 6, could cylinder 4 now be out? Or 3 & 8? Man this could get expensive at over $1500 per cylinder.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:05 PM

Never own one of these without a good warranty...
Old 06-13-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
2015, N63TU

It's that "just about" that can get you. I agree that 8K sounds high, but it depends on mileage, time and other limitations.

I don't buy extended warranties other than CPO, and only CPO if I can't get them to take it off. I'd rather have the cash and put it in the bank for the big one. Yes, I know, for some people these extended warranties really pay off (like when the engine grenades) but there's a huge profit margin built into most of them, and that's what you're paying for. For both my wife's and mine and both kids' cars, I've never had a repair come up that justified the cost of an extended warranty.

Also, do your research on the company underwriting the insurance. Make sure that they'll be around tomorrow.

Thats has always been generally the rule I have lived by, Iíd rather put the cash in the bank or invested to make more money instead of buying an expensive ďmaybe I need it, maybe I wonítĒ warranties that are astronomically priced. I guess I should have done more research before buying a BMW. I honestly did not realize they carried this ďitís not if but whenĒ persona. So Iím guessing All BMWís have issues? Or are there still some that people buy and drive for 350k miles and never have a problem...

Old 06-14-2019, 04:19 AM
former motorcycle rider

Quote:
So Iím guessing All BMWís have issues? Or are there still some that people buy and drive for 350k miles and never have a problem...
Yes. I've owned something like 16 BMW cars (and 6 or 7 BMW motorcycles) and most of them were new or close to new. And my wife has one. That one has 110K on it and aside from getting old it has no serious problems. It does have an occasional false light bulb out warning (well, not false, the light works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't) and the transmission isn't really smooth any more and one of the A/C vents broke and it burns oil... so it kind of depends on what you call an issue or a problem. I've had new ones that were always in the shop and got bought back, and I've had others that had zero problems or issues and were faultless.

The 7 series seem to have more problems because they have so much stuff on them to go wrong. All of the newest technology and gizmos go on the 7 first.

I've noticed too that it depends on the person. Some exceptionally OCD folks like myself want everything to work just perfectly and will complain and take it back to the dealer for any issue, no matter how minor. Other folks just roll with it. And some are too embarrassed to report that their new car has issues, regardless of the problems. I remember some friends of mine once mentioning that their Toyota was problem-free. "But," I asked, "doesn't the door lock sometimes not work, and that other thing isn't right, and you have to turn off the A/C to get enough power to merge onto the highway and you constantly complain that it can't get out of its own way?" And they answered, "well sure, but it cost half as much as your BMW."
Old 06-14-2019, 11:58 AM

I keep hearing and seeing people post about BMW extending manufacturers warranty on the fuel injectors for my year and model car. How do I check to see if BMW will cover a part or portion of the costs since this has been a huge problem for many 750li owners? I donít think my local dealership is going to offer up anything that saves me some $. Why would they? Thatís just more money in their pockets. How do I go straight to BMW? Is that possible?

Old 06-14-2019, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Call BMW USA to see if they are willing to help. Google there number.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
I keep hearing and seeing people post about BMW extending manufacturers warranty on the fuel injectors for my year and model car. How do I check to see if BMW will cover a part or portion of the costs since this has been a huge problem for many 750li owners? I donít think my local dealership is going to offer up anything that saves me some $. Why would they? Thatís just more money in their pockets. How do I go straight to BMW? Is that possible?

did you get it fixed?
Let us know what happened.

About the warranty, be sure you do your research.
When I bought the car, I purchased a warranty through carchex. After a few months with the car, I get the low oil warning.
Take it to the service center, they fill it up with oil, tell me to drive 1000 miles and come back. I go back, they check it out. The rep calls me and tells me that the Carchex guy is requesting a borescope to see if they will cover the costs. I believe the quote was a little over 9k...So I get a call back, the carchex guy says they WON'T cover it because the seals are NOT broken, they are just leaking...Just a loophole they do in order not to cover you.

So just be careful with warranty as well. Good thing is, there was a lawsuit and I was covered. But now, I am having a drivetrain malfunction error.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search