Drivetrain Malfunction Drive moderately maximum output not available see Dealer Servi - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LI
I have a 2011 750LI and got the drivetrain Malfunction error and a check engine light today after accelerating while on the freeway. My mileage is at 90k I hooked up my reader to diagnose it and it states the the number 5 cylinder had misfired. Hopefully it's just a spark plug or ignition coil? I just ordered an ignition kit through ECS tuning. Ran me around $400 with shipping. A local shop was trying to charge me $1200 to change oil, change the ignition coils and spark plugs. I'm glad I passed because of the price but I hope the ignition kit does the trick. This is my first BMW. I'll post again after i install the new kit...

Last edited by MarskiiF02; 07-22-2019 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Spell check
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2019, 06:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarskiiF02 View Post
I have a 2011 750LI and got the drivetrain Malfunction error and a check engine light today after accelerating while on the freeway. My mileage is at 90k I hooked up my reader to diagnose it and it states the the number 5 cylinder had misfired. Hopefully it's just a spark plug or ignition coil? I just ordered an ignition kit through ECS tuning. Ran me around $400 with shipping. A local shop was trying to charge me $1200 to change oil, change the ignition coils and spark plugs. I'm glad I passed because of the price but I hope the ignition kit does the trick. This is my first BMW. I'll post again after i install the new kit...
Same thing happened to me. I am waiting on a laptop so I can connect it to see what my error is.

Can I ask what specs are your laptop? On ista+ spec sheet, it says windows 10 pro and an i5 or above is recommend. I am getting an i3 with home.
I really hope the software works on it.

Also, can you pm me the link to the kit you purchased?

Thank you. Last month, I was leaving the gym and getting on the highway, went to about 30 miles and Boom, transmission error. Scary moment
Old 07-23-2019, 06:35 PM

I actually just used an OBDII reader. I bought it a few years ago through amazon. It was roughly about 30 bucks. Pretty good if your just trying to get an initial diagnosis. There are some fancy ones that are 100 bucks and up but all I use it for is to trouble shoot error codes when I work on my cars. The connection to the to the OBDII port is right underneath the steering wheel to the left. All you do is hook up the reader and turn on the ignition and follow the on screen instructions on the reader. This is my first BMW so Iím still trying to figure out how to use software on a laptop to perform diagnostics. Hope this helps..

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2019, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I actually just used an OBDII reader. I bought it a few years ago through amazon. It was roughly about 30 bucks. Pretty good if your just trying to get an initial diagnosis. There are some fancy ones that are 100 bucks and up but all I use it for is to trouble shoot error codes when I work on my cars. The connection to the to the OBDII port is right underneath the steering wheel to the left. All you do is hook up the reader and turn on the ignition and follow the on screen instructions on the reader. This is my first BMW so I'm still trying to figure out how to use software on a laptop to perform diagnostics. Hope this helps..

That's a good scanner. I tried it in a friends scanner and got Ratio monitoring clutch e implausible

Old 07-23-2019, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
The newer ISTA+ needs to be run on a windows 10 platform, XP or Vista will not load properly any longer. I tried an old 64 bit Vista the other day, & the software will not load. It also has something to do with the NetFrame software also.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
The newer ISTA+ needs to be run on a windows 10 platform, XP or Vista will not load properly any longer. I tried an old 64 bit Vista the other day, & the software will not load. It also has something to do with the NetFrame software also.
That's what I'm having with issues now.
The setup file in the easy tool folder says I need to install framework 3.5 and currently the laptop has one that is 4.x
Old 07-24-2019, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

As long as you have a newer file, it is ok.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:

Update....Before replacing anything I started with the easiest thing first by replacing just the ignition coil for cylinder number 5. Error code cleared and did not return. Glad I found the root cause! But if your going through the trouble of replacing the ignition coil might as well do all the ignition coils along with the spark plugs. I guess if you are in a pinch and need to clear the error replacing just the ignition coil will work too.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:40 AM

I wish mine was that simple
this is what I got :
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (1)_LI.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	859517  
Old 07-28-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgarcia View Post
I wish mine was that simple

this is what I got :

Dang that sucks. Please share once you have figured it out. Iím sure it will be something we all will eventually have to deal with. That ISTA software looks pretty slick too. Gonna look into getting that setup myself.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 M3 Convertble
Quote:
Originally Posted by karkidd View Post
So I just recently purchased my 2015 750Li approximately 7 months ago the car has right at 60k miles on it. Yesterday I was on the service ramp to get on the highway and when I went to accelerate I felt the car miss and shutter almost like it has a Fowled plug or bad wire. I immediately called my service dept and explained to them what happened they asked for me to bring it in as soon as possible so I dropped the car off within the hour. This car is not covered under an extended warranty, I paid cold hard cash at the dealership. My question is number 1 has anyone else experienced this and what did it turn out to be? Number 2 any idea of what this is gonna set me back $$$, even ballpark guess would be helpful and number 3 should I get out of this car and into something else. This is my first bmw and just trying to figure out if this is a sign of troubles to come. Any advice opinions would be great! Thanks! Other than this happening I absolutely love this car and the way it drives.

My wife has a 2012 750i with the N63 V-8 twin turbo engine with 42K miles on it. I got the same light this past weekend when I tried to accelerate quickly to change lanes on the interstate. The car did not accelerate quickly, but it didn't otherwise impact the car's performance. I continued to drive it for another 250+ plus miles while the little yellow warning triangle light on the dash was on. The next day I started it and the light was off. I checked the i-drive and it said all systems were OK. I don't know if it's a gremlin or what. this is the second time it has happened to me.
Old 08-13-2019, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: F02, F15 & E64
I had same thing happened to me yesterday while driving through PA - called master technician and explained to him as I still had about 450 miles to cover and didn't want to balloon the problem. He said that it is ok to drive and bring the car in once I am back in town - No check engine light came up though. After about an hour of driving the sign went away and all system checked okay. I still took it to the dealer and it was attributed to a loose Turbo Vacuum connection - apparently when I had a Independent shop installed Dinan muffler they didn't secure that connection and it became loose. I hope this is it and I wouldn't have to see such message again.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 750Li
I am currently on the road in Grand Junction, CO and twice along the travel I got "Drivetrain Malfunction Drive moderately". first time I pulled over and used generic scanner and got P22AA code. will use ISTA today.(of course forgot to charge laptop only me)
anyways I search and most believed MAF. I found one on oembimmerparts.com BOSCH brand. great price. has any one used a cleaner on their N63 engine MAF. some in forums mentions not too since the MAF in BMW are made to read a frequency with sends to computer for adjustment. and by using a chemical to clean it will damage that material that helps with the reading.
any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

If you suspect that your MAF is having problems, simply unplug it to see if the engine levels out. This will put the Vanos system in safe mode, allow you to drive, with a loss in power. I would hook ISTA up to narrow down the P code, since it could be many things.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

I have cleaned the MAF before without any problems, but use MAF cleaner only.
Old 08-15-2019, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
If you suspect that your MAF is having problems, simply unplug it to see if the engine levels out. This will put the Vanos system in safe mode, allow you to drive, with a loss in power. I would hook ISTA up to narrow down the P code, since it could be many things.
that's the thing car runs smooth. I don't drive hard so haven't notice loss in power. waiting for error come up again to scan with ISTA
Possible high altitude. its a sea level car? now at 10K+ feet. seem not to me since computer should adapt to it .
put that a good suggestion thanks

Last edited by paprmkr; 08-15-2019 at 06:18 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search