Has Anyone Had Their ENGINE Replaced by BMW? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:26 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Has Anyone Had Their ENGINE Replaced by BMW?

If so, when?
I'd like to hear from those of you who have had your Engine replaced by BMW?
Please provide details:
Cost/Percent you had to pay?
Most importantly, how has your car been since???
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 09:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 750i and 2015 740i
My N63T was replaced under warranty at 23K for oil consumption. Let's just say the car hasn't been the same since it was reassembled in the US, but there is much less oil consumption now.

It's a major job and I've had to spend a lot of effort tracking down minor problems, including incorrect transmission mating due to missing dowels. Major issues will throw a code or show up in the FASTA data, so those are easy to track down unlike the harsh shifting and whining noise that I had when the transmission was misaligned.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto:
Tons of posts on the N63 Facebook group about people who have had their engine replaced. What surprises me is the differing level of service and cost sharing that doesn't seem to equate with mileage or age at times..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 12:24 PM
The Entertainment Guru

I'm due for one next week. Initially I was excited because I plan to keep this car. And my cost is minimal considering. But if it leads to more headaches...
Old 07-11-2019, 01:59 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin750 View Post
My N63T was replaced under warranty at 23K for oil consumption. Let's just say the car hasn't been the same since it was reassembled in the US, but there is much less oil consumption now.

It's a major job and I've had to spend a lot of effort tracking down minor problems, including incorrect transmission mating due to missing dowels. Major issues will throw a code or show up in the FASTA data, so those are easy to track down unlike the harsh shifting and whining noise that I had when the transmission was misaligned.
Thanks.

Who did the work?
Old 07-11-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Thanks.

Who did the work?
It was done by the dealer and the tech that did it had done eight N63's before. In hindsight, that doesn't seem like much because every time I'm at the dealer, there's always at least one or two N63 engines on the ground...

Since you're out of warranty, the main concern would be if something happened later on, it could be hard to prove whether it was caused by the engine replacement. For example, I also had an issue with the fuel tank vent valve (it was leaking and fuel vapors cane out from the engine bay), but after that was fixed, there were still vapors coming from the charcoal canister because it was full of fuel, so that also had to be replaced. Even though it was almost certainly caused by improper reassembly, I believe BMW paid for both of those repairs based on the codes on the RO. Would the dealer pick up the bill if you're out of warranty?

I'm not intentionally trying to scare you, but I know you care about your car, so it would be better to have the right expectations going in. It's a major job and things can happen even to be best techs, especially since they're being paid by BMW for a fixed amount of hours, though that's not an excuse for shoddy labor. At the end of the day, it's up to the dealer to make you whole, so make sure to choose a dealer that you have a good history and relationship with. Ask for an experienced tech and see how many of these they've done.
Old 07-11-2019, 09:55 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin750 View Post
Quote:
Thanks.

Who did the work?
It was done by the dealer and the tech that did it had done eight N63's before. In hindsight, that doesn't seem like much because every time I'm at the dealer, there's always at least one or two N63 engines on the ground...

Since you're out of warranty, the main concern would be if something happened later on, it could be hard to prove whether it was caused by the engine replacement. For example, I also had an issue with the fuel tank vent valve (it was leaking and fuel vapors cane out from the engine bay), but after that was fixed, there were still vapors coming from the charcoal canister because it was full of fuel, so that also had to be replaced. Even though it was almost certainly caused by improper reassembly, I believe BMW paid for both of those repairs based on the codes on the RO. Would the dealer pick up the bill if you're out of warranty?

I'm not intentionally trying to scare you, but I know you care about your car, so it would be better to have the right expectations going in. It's a major job and things can happen even to be best techs, especially since they're being paid by BMW for a fixed amount of hours, though that's not an excuse for shoddy labor. At the end of the day, it's up to the dealer to make you whole, so make sure to choose a dealer that you have a good history and relationship with. Ask for an experienced tech and see how many of these they've done.

Well said and good information!

If you know me, I do my due diligence. I deal directly with the service manager. They have installed over 50 engines from what I understand. There will be a warranty with this engine as well. I will have a more detailed talk with him and decide very soon. Also, out of pocket cost has to be a strong consideration. Mine is minimal compared to what I've heard.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2013 - 750Li
I replaced mine at 32K at BMW of Dallas (I see you are from Plano) due to Oil consumption (MY2013 - July 2012 Production N63TU)
My car was under CPO Warranty at that time and so my Out of Pocket Cost was the $50 deductible.
In my case, they did a very good job. The replacement was done about 15 months ago and in that period, the only time I had to go back to the Dealer was for a Door that would not open (nothing to do with the Engine)
Old 07-13-2019, 10:59 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampatel1 View Post
I replaced mine at 32K at BMW of Dallas (I see you are from Plano) due to Oil consumption (MY2013 - July 2012 Production N63TU)
My car was under CPO Warranty at that time and so my Out of Pocket Cost was the $50 deductible.
In my case, they did a very good job. The replacement was done about 15 months ago and in that period, the only time I had to go back to the Dealer was for a Door that would not open (nothing to do with the Engine)
That's really good to hear!
I will probably move forward with this next week.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:37 PM
whughes

Mein Auto: 2009 750li, 2018 X5
I had my engine replaced at 175k miles, out of warranty but they goodwilled all but $7500. Cause was a blown high pressure fuel line. I got mine just before the lawsuit settled. Since then I have 193k miles and 2 track events since then, no oil consumption at all! even at the track.

2009 750Li - Space Grau Metallic, Camera pkg, Conv pkg, Driver Asst pkg, Lux Seat pkg, Lux rear seat pkg, Prem sound pkg, Sport pkg, HUD, Massaging rear seats, Smartphone integration, Sat radio, MTEC H8 4750K Halo lights,
Dinan Stage 1 SW, Air intake, Free Flow Exhaust, Camber Arm
Old 07-13-2019, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhughes420384 View Post
I had my engine replaced at 175k miles, out of warranty but they goodwilled all but $7500. Cause was a blown high pressure fuel line. I got mine just before the lawsuit settled. Since then I have 193k miles and 2 track events since then, no oil consumption at all! even at the track.

At 175k how do they goodwill anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 07-13-2019, 08:47 PM
whughes

I don't know, and I didn't wait to ask why. 10 months earlier they did do a lot of DINAN stuff on my car ($15k ) for a huge discount, (they said they wanted to make my car a demo for DINAN) and they had asked for a video of my car on the track.
I did tell them to replace all the belts, hoses and anything else they could under the hood when they replaced the engine, and I did pay for that.

2009 750Li - Space Grau Metallic, Camera pkg, Conv pkg, Driver Asst pkg, Lux Seat pkg, Lux rear seat pkg, Prem sound pkg, Sport pkg, HUD, Massaging rear seats, Smartphone integration, Sat radio, MTEC H8 4750K Halo lights,
Old 07-13-2019, 08:50 PM
whughes

I do a lot to cultivate a good relationship with my dealer, all maintenance done at the dealer. that may have helped

Old 07-14-2019, 07:01 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhughes420384 View Post
I do a lot to cultivate a good relationship with my dealer, all maintenance done at the dealer. that may have helped
I'm pretty sure it did.

The fact that you drive harder than ANYBODY else I knew in these cars, that's really good to hear!
Old 07-15-2019, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: X5
The main bearing seized in my 2017 X5 @ 17k miles. They replaced my engine @ N/C and the dealer extended the warranty 2 yrs. BMW of North America refused to extend the warranty but the local dealer stepped in and made it happen.

Car has been running good as new since the engine was replaced 7k miles ago.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: '16 M3,'98 M3, '76 M2
It's been a long time but BMW replaced the engine in my 94 530i. It had the nickasil or alusil block, whichever one was the bad one to use. Because of engine failures with this 3 liter V-8, BMW extended the warranty to 7 years from in service date.
My car developed some of the bad block symptoms, dealer checked it & determined that engine should be replaced and did so. I had a few "while you're in there" things done so my cost was $1100 IIRC.
The car ran like new after the replacement with no problems.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X6 xDrive50i SUV
Quote:
If so, when?
I'd like to hear from those of you who have had your Engine replaced by BMW?
Please provide details:
Cost/Percent you had to pay?
Most importantly, how has your car been since???
Yes for no cost 2014 X6. Spun a rod bearing after complaining about oil consumption at 70K. I was looking at a 430 for my wife at the time it happened, they offered to replace it at no cost if we bought the car, which I did. Took 7 months from July 2018 to get it replaced. They gave me 5 new loaner cars to drive during that time. Delivered to me each time I reached 450 miles. Couldn't complain since it was a winter my X6 missed completely. They gave me a new battery. alignment and recharged the AC for free when I complained when the weather got warmer. I have 12K on the new motor and its been great. My dealer us Towne BMW just outside of Buffalo.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:05 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Thanks guys for the responses and feedback!
Old 07-16-2019, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
Decided not to replace engine

I know this doesn't help you but for my situation BMW wanted $6300 to replace mine under the settlement agreement. I did the math:

1 quart of oil needed every 700 miles
I drive about 14,000 miles per year
That equates to approximately 20 quarts of oil a year.
BMW Twinpower oil is about $9 / quart
Total cost of oil per year is $180
Years of buying oil to = engine replacement cost is 35
So ya, cheaper to just add oil :-)

Jerry

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search
Old 07-16-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry 745Li View Post
That equates to approximately 20 quarts of oil a year.
At that rate, forget about changing the oil...all you would have to do is change the filter every year.

(Not being serious...)
Old 07-16-2019, 10:37 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Thanks for the responses guys!
Old 07-16-2019, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 545i
Got mine replaced under warranty at 24K miles. 40K later, it runs like a champ. No oil drinking, no problem related to the engine per se or anything that I know of. Awesome BMW tech in Houston.

I still have warranty until 100K or year end 2022. Other things have problems, but zero out of pocket. The warranty cost of $5700 is about to pay for itself. After this, I think I'm going full electric but likely not a Tesla.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:13 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Finally dropped my car off Today!
The fact that they have now installed so many engines with positive feedback from customers, I'm feeling good.
I will keep you all updated....
Old 07-24-2019, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
The fact that they have now installed so many engines with positive feedback from customers, I'm feeling good.
Good luck.
How much are they charging you.
When I took my seals to get replaced, they gave me a list of everything that they suggest would be done.

In my opinion, if they do this for you, try to bargain with them on the pricing since the engine is already out.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:45 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgarcia View Post
Quote:
Good luck.
How much are they charging you.
When I took my seals to get replaced, they gave me a list of everything that they suggest would be done.

In my opinion, if they do this for you, try to bargain with them on the pricing since the engine is already out.
Do to my mileage, I fall under the 15% threshold based on the Class Action Law Suit. Which equals $1,700.i have had a detailed conversation with service manager regarding this very concern. If in fact there are other findings that would be considered harmful to my vehicle longevity, we would discuss charges and any discounts the dealer would be willing to provide.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search