2007 BMW 650i 6MT adaptation reset - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-27-2019, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto:
2007 BMW 650i 6MT adaptation reset

Hey everyone! Coming off the recent A/C compressor install, I started tackle new things. Since I got the car, I've always wondered why I wasn't able to "burn rubber" in 1st gear. Not that I am looking for it, but it just wasn't happening. I was thinking it might be the Valvetronic system or VVC gaskets. Today, I checked out the Valvetronic solenoids and they were clean. I checked the VVC gaskets and they looked new. I cleaned the MAF. Then I did a Valvetronic test/adaptation and DSC reset:adaptation via Foxwell NT 520. To my surprise, now in 1st gear, at above 1,500 rpm I'm able to get the power to the wheels I originally though should be there for a 650. My question is...considering all the resets and the cleaning I did, I'm not sure what worked and what is placebo. Apparently the gas pedal also has an adaptation, and I wonder if it's as simple as that? Does anyone have any experience with a 650 that doesn't deliver the low end power how it should?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2019, 05:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
There was a sluggish acceleration thread, but it doesn't sound like your problem.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1334553

VANOS was the fix, but loss of low end torque was a symptom. I haven't noticed any first gear problems shifting at ~2500 RPM
Old 07-27-2019, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella650i View Post
Hey everyone! Coming off the recent A/C compressor install, I started tackle new things. Since I got the car, I've always wondered why I wasn't able to "burn rubber" in 1st gear. Not that I am looking for it, but it just wasn't happening. I was thinking it might be the Valvetronic system or VVC gaskets. Today, I checked out the Valvetronic solenoids and they were clean. I checked the VVC gaskets and they looked new. I cleaned the MAF. Then I did a Valvetronic test/adaptation and DSC reset:adaptation via Foxwell NT 520. To my surprise, now in 1st gear, at above 1,500 rpm I'm able to get the power to the wheels I originally though should be there for a 650. My question is...considering all the resets and the cleaning I did, I'm not sure what worked and what is placebo. Apparently the gas pedal also has an adaptation, and I wonder if it's as simple as that? Does anyone have any experience with a 650 that doesn't deliver the low end power how it should?

Turn off your DTC button, it keeps the wheels from breaking loose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2019, 03:16 AM

Mein Auto:
I guess I should have started my whole thread with that...all of this was happening with DSC disabled. Before I did anything, a good launch would result in the car taking off well, but you could tell that it was missing something. This assertion is from driving other cars like (Infiniti Q50, V6 6MT accord) which we're both at that 300hp level. Their power and torque curves are pretty high up there vs the N62. Now, after reseting the adaptations and cleaning the MAF, it's has pick up I thought it should have, especially down low.
Old 07-28-2019, 04:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
FWIW - I tried out first gear today - normal launch, then I got on it. Seemed OK and it started taking off from 1500 rpm. Four grand was on top of me before I could shift into second.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search