What is wrong??? Car won't start - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Old 07-29-2019, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto:
What is wrong??? Car won't start

Hello everyone. Ran into a problem. I changed my spark plugs and coil packs the other day. After doing so, the car was driving great. The next day I'm driving, the engine had a high pitched cling while running. As the rpms increased, so did the clinging. All of a sudden, I was merging onto the highway and the car shifted into neutral and I lost power and power steering. As I pulled over to a stop the car shut off. Engine was running hot so I put it in park and tried to start it. All I heard was a click as if the engine was igniting but no crank. I let the car cool off until I tried again but nothing. Then, the battery was draining and recurved battery discharging while stopped. It went completely dead. 11 hours later, tow truck finally arrived and tried to jump it. Battery gained some juice but the same thing happened. Click of the ignition and no crank. The jumper cables melted!!! Dragged the car onto the flatbed and now sitting at my BMW mechanic who is telling me I need a new engine costing me 10,000 for entire service. He tried jumping using 3 heavy duty boosters and he was amazed that in minutes they were drained. Someone is telling me it's the starter, someone else says it's a short. What is it??? Do I just give up and junk it??? Lmk!?!? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2019, 02:49 PM

Mein Auto: 540is
My friend, Pls never jump BMW for ignition, i think it was battery issue or alternator or both

When the battery is dead gives you all kind of malfunctions in the screen, never jump your BMW , simple way is to ask one of your friends to get any used working battery to ignition your car never do jump your car or jump others

Regards
Old 07-30-2019, 02:50 PM

Mein Auto: 540is
Sorry for my English

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2019, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by islam View Post
My friend, Pls never jump BMW for ignition, i think it was battery issue or alternator or both

When the battery is dead gives you all kind of malfunctions in the screen, never jump your BMW , simple way is to ask one of your friends to get any used working battery to ignition your car never do jump your car or jump others

Regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by islam View Post
Sorry for my English

Wow! I messed up then. Hopefully getting a new battery will do the trick. Anyway to explain the issue when I was driving and the car automatically went into neutral?
Old 07-30-2019, 04:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750Li
I wish I could offer some advice for you but I am clueless.
I did experience something similar regarding the highway issue.
I was leaving the gym last month and was merging to get onto the highway. I hit about 30-40 mph and the rpms just went all crazy and loud and my car would not accelerate above 30 miles.

It didn't go into neutral, it just didn't go up in mph. I had to exit out of the highway as fast as I could and managed to take side streets in order to get home.

Do you have the ista software? Maybe you can scan the vehicle and see what it says.

Did you get a transmission malfunction error? That's what I got.

Here is a pic of my ista diagnostics but I have no idea where to start. I need to find a reliable mechanic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (1)_LI.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	859735  
Old 07-30-2019, 06:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 750Li
It might be the BST (battery safety terminal) on the positive battery cable that blew from junping it. Usually they blow when the airbags are deployed, but maybe it happened when the battery was jumped. Usually it clicks the starter but it won't turn. How did he jump it? Did he connect to the terminals under the hood or straight to the battery?

Last edited by isstatu1; 07-30-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgarcia View Post
I wish I could offer some advice for you but I am clueless.
I did experience something similar regarding the highway issue.
I was leaving the gym last month and was merging to get onto the highway. I hit about 30-40 mph and the rpms just went all crazy and loud and my car would not accelerate above 30 miles.

It didn't go into neutral, it just didn't go up in mph. I had to exit out of the highway as fast as I could and managed to take side streets in order to get home.

Do you have the ista software? Maybe you can scan the vehicle and see what it says.

Did you get a transmission malfunction error? That's what I got.

Here is a pic of my ista diagnostics but I have no idea where to start. I need to find a reliable mechanic.
1st start with your battery, the voltage is low. When the battery drops below 12 volts, all kinds of electrical problems will occur. Try charging your battery 1st, if it want take a good charge, change the battery. It also looks like something is going on with your tranny?
Old 07-30-2019, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_kosc View Post
Wow! I messed up then. Hopefully getting a new battery will do the trick. Anyway to explain the issue when I was driving and the car automatically went into neutral?
If your mechanic thinks the engine is locked up, try turning the engine with a pull bar. This will give you some kind of info that you might need. Whatever is killing the batteries is a bad short somewhere, & that needs to be found before more electrical damage occurs.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search