750il Door Lock issues - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Old 07-29-2019, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 750iL
750il Door Lock issues

Ok, Iím fed up. Iíve looked everywhere and nobody seems to have the same issue Iím having. First, it started with the trunk (from remote) no longer works. Second, my touch (comfort access) stopped working. Third, if my remote was near my car my drivers door lock would lock and unlock repeatedly. Then the driver door stopped locking or unlocking. Thought it was a fuse, but then it started working....hum But now itís blowing #14 15 amp fuse. I replaced it and it blew again. So nothing in the lock system is working. When my remote gets close to my car my lights flash so it knows it there, but no control from my remote to lock or unlock. I wonder if there is a central modular that controls the lock system? I see nothing online for any electrical system. Any help?

Old 07-29-2019, 07:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
it'd be the CAS (comfort access system module)

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_2354

2013 TL Advance 3.5L

2006 BMW 760Li - Alpine White/Ebony-Ivory Two Tone

2007 MDX Sport/Ent.- NGM/Taupe
lRB Slotted RotorslRoof RailslFront & Rear GarnishlAuto Mirrorl

2004 TL NAVI Auto - SSM/Quartz
lComptech SwaybarlHacked NavlTVNAV2GolUSA-SPEClDVD PlayerlSwitchblade KeylRB Slotted RotorslA-Spec Brakesl
Old 07-29-2019, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
It is possible that something is wrong with the Central Locking System, or the remote needs to be initialized again? If you have ISTA, you can do this to find the problem. Run the diagnostics, then work from there.

Mine was causing the doors to lock & unlocked when I was on the passenger rear door near the fuel tank. I thought the key must have something sticky inside of it, but 300.00 for a new key did not fix the problem. I know that I am having problems with my rear drivers door not pulling completely shut, but I have not time to work on the lock yet. That can cause something to happen with the CA system causing the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2019, 07:46 PM

If initialization is when you hold the fob key up against the column, I've tried that a few times. Where can I get an ISTA? Thanks for your help.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Look in the coding section forum for the download, but you will need to purchase a cable to communicate with the car. Everything should be in a sticky in that forum.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 03' 745Li & 12' Hybrid7
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanceBMW View Post
Ok, Iím fed up. Iíve looked everywhere and nobody seems to have the same issue Iím having. First, it started with the trunk (from remote) no longer works. Second, my touch (comfort access) stopped working. Third, if my remote was near my car my drivers door lock would lock and unlock repeatedly. Then the driver door stopped locking or unlocking. Thought it was a fuse, but then it started working....hum But now itís blowing #14 15 amp fuse. I replaced it and it blew again. So nothing in the lock system is working. When my remote gets close to my car my lights flash so it knows it there, but no control from my remote to lock or unlock. I wonder if there is a central modular that controls the lock system? I see nothing online for any electrical system. Any help?
Actually I had the same exact problem as you did. My problem was the comfort access door handle on the driver rear door failed. I unplugged that door handle and my problems were resolved. Not a priority to replace the handle at this time. But yes, my car seemed to freak out, auto unlocking as I approached, fuse blown, etc. So one of your door handles is bad. If you have ISTA+ it will tell you which one. Otherwise you'd have to pull each handle and see which one causes the fuse to blow.

Jerry

I don't have all the answers, but I can do one helluva Google search
Old 07-30-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
it'd be the CAS (comfort access system module)

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_2354
Where can I look for information on location of CAS4 unit? Looks like two types of units or maybe it uses both? Either way, I need to find it. Thank you for your help.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry 745Li View Post
Actually I had the same exact problem as you did. My problem was the comfort access door handle on the driver rear door failed. I unplugged that door handle and my problems were resolved. Not a priority to replace the handle at this time. But yes, my car seemed to freak out, auto unlocking as I approached, fuse blown, etc. So one of your door handles is bad. If you have ISTA+ it will tell you which one. Otherwise you'd have to pull each handle and see which one causes the fuse to blow.

Jerry
I'll give that a try. I'd like to figure out how to set up for the ISTA system and test, code and whatever else that can be done through that system. That would be awesome. I don't know where or how to get it and or use it. I'll learn...... Thank you!
Old 07-30-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I'll give that a try. I'd like to figure out how to set up for the ISTA system and test, code and whatever else that can be done through that system. That would be awesome. I don't know where or how to get it and or use it. I'll learn...... Thank you!
Links to download software are in the forums. It's huge. You need a laptop with Win10. Then head to eBay or Amazon and buy a BMW Enet Cable. As cheap as $15 on Amazon. Follow the step by step guide in the programming section of these forums that walk you though installing the software to the basics of using ISTA+. Once you have ISTA running it makes troubleshooting issues on the vehicle so much easier than posting to these forums and having people "guess" what your problem might be.

Good luck,

Jerry

Old 07-30-2019, 01:11 PM

Jerry, thank you so much! I'm learning the process as I write. Found a cable and will need an USB adapter for the ethernet end. I'm hoping that doesn't interfere with data flow. Thanks again!!
Old 08-05-2019, 06:32 PM

List of faults

Guys,

I got my Ista + software up and running. I really don't know how to use it yet, but I was able to get a list of faults, and there is a lot. What I don't know is if these are old and just need cleared and which need address. I attached the list. I assume there is a way to clear them and see what pops back up. I know I have a door lock problem, and a few small other issues. I have one really import question and maybe I don't want to know the answer, but in my list there is a category "mileage" and I wondering if the software is correct with the mileage? My odometer reads 64,000 ish and the highest reading on the list is 104,xxx miles. I hope that the software isn't correct or someone before I purchased the car rolled it back..... 2012 750li. Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	list of faults.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	860415  
Old 08-05-2019, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

ISTA reports in km, that would be correct for your mileage. Since you have things up & running, you are making good progress. At the control tree screen, you can right click the ECU functions at the bottom of the page, & enter the module. You can then retest the ECU, & run thru many diagnostics within the modules, as well as delete faults directly in the module. Safety faults must be reset within that module, to make sure you are deleting a safety issue if it exist. The DME also will need to have faults directly deleted in itself also. Take a screenshot of your codes, then delete all codes to see what is current. Leaving the car running at times will help speed things along, & will not hurt anything. Remember that ISTA/D is only diagnostics, & ISTA/P is used for programming. Be care with ISTA/P when using it.
Old 08-05-2019, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 750Li
Quote:
Guys,

I got my Ista + software up and running. I really don't know how to use it yet, but I was able to get a list of faults, and there is a lot. What I don't know is if these are old and just need cleared and which need address. I attached the list. I assume there is a way to clear them and see what pops back up. I know I have a door lock problem, and a few small other issues. I have one really import question and maybe I don't want to know the answer, but in my list there is a category "mileage" and I wondering if the software is correct with the mileage? My odometer reads 64,000 ish and the highest reading on the list is 104,xxx miles. I hope that the software isn't correct or someone before I purchased the car rolled it back..... 2012 750li. Thanks,
Did you check your fuses in the glovebox?

64k ish miles is 104k ish km. So it's likely converting miles to kms.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isstatu1 View Post
Did you check your fuses in the glovebox?

64k ish miles is 104k ish km. So it's likely converting miles to kms.
Yes, I know I have a fuse blown for my lock issues, it's blown a couple of times, why I am using ista + to find why it's blowing. Thanks,
Old 08-06-2019, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
ISTA reports in km, that would be correct for your mileage. Since you have things up & running, you are making good progress. At the control tree screen, you can right click the ECU functions at the bottom of the page, & enter the module. You can then retest the ECU, & run thru many diagnostics within the modules, as well as delete faults directly in the module. Safety faults must be reset within that module, to make sure you are deleting a safety issue if it exist. The DME also will need to have faults directly deleted in itself also. Take a screenshot of your codes, then delete all codes to see what is current. Leaving the car running at times will help speed things along, & will not hurt anything. Remember that ISTA/D is only diagnostics, & ISTA/P is used for programming. Be care with ISTA/P when using it.
Thank you so much for your response, I need all the help I can get. I will screenshot and delete and see what comes back. Big relief on the km vs miles. I don't know if I quite understand deleting within modules, but I'll play with that today. Thanks again!!
Old 08-06-2019, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes, I know I have a fuse blown for my lock issues, it's blown a couple of times, why I am using ista + to find why it's blowing. Thanks,
Using ISTA will help you narrow down what is causing the problem, & which part is defective. Work thru the test plan, & it will help narrow down the problem part.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
Using ISTA will help you narrow down what is causing the problem, & which part is defective. Work thru the test plan, & it will help narrow down the problem part.
I deleted my faults and ran the vehicle test and all faults are gone. BUT, my problem still exist. I replaced the fuse, which didn't blow yet, but my drivers door still not working correctly. I don't understand a test plan when the vehicle test doesn't find anything. Not sure how to create a plan with no faults. Also, where in the program can you register the battery? I got a new battery sometime ago and I hear it should get registered for possible problems?

Thank you guys, this BMW site is the best one on the internet.
Old 08-06-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I deleted my faults and ran the vehicle test and all faults are gone. BUT, my problem still exist. I replaced the fuse, which didn't blow yet, but my drivers door still not working correctly. I don't understand a test plan when the vehicle test doesn't find anything. Not sure how to create a plan with no faults. Also, where in the program can you register the battery? I got a new battery sometime ago and I hear it should get registered for possible problems?

Also, I reloaded Ista + a few times due to my anti-virus program, but I still get this error. See attachment. Thank you,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Ista error.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	860497  
Old 08-07-2019, 05:30 AM

That's normal, just ignore it. At least it's normal for me to see that message and doesn't prevent me from using the software normally.

Jerry

Old 08-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

You can always go directly into the module itself. Down on the bottom of the control tree page, use the call up ECU functions. You can setup a test plan by working down the control tree list. There you can play with anything in the module to test it. To register the battery, look at the link below I setup on the 6 Series forum. It will cover about any way to register the battery. After registering the battery, so of your odd faults might go away.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1158385
Old 08-10-2019, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto:
Vance, the problem you are having is with 1 of your Comfort Access door handles. Dealer wants about $170 to disconnect the bad handle from the CA system to cure the fault. If you are handy, there is only 1 screw and you can do it yourself in 3 minutes! Same scenario you had, disconnected the bad handle and everything else works fine. Bad handle won't work with CA but still locks and unlocks with remote like the other doors. Try the drivers door first, if not that one, try the drivers side rear. It's all trial and error but what do you have to lose.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550fanatic View Post
Vance, the problem you are having is with 1 of your Comfort Access door handles. Dealer wants about $170 to disconnect the bad handle from the CA system to cure the fault. If you are handy, there is only 1 screw and you can do it yourself in 3 minutes! Same scenario you had, disconnected the bad handle and everything else works fine. Bad handle won't work with CA but still locks and unlocks with remote like the other doors. Try the drivers door first, if not that one, try the drivers side rear. It's all trial and error but what do you have to lose.
Thank you so much for the info. I will do this tonight and see what I can make happen.

Thanks again!
Old 08-16-2019, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
Thank you so much for the info. I will do this tonight and see what I can make happen.

Thanks again!
hey vance, did it work?
Old 08-16-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550fanatic View Post
Just got a chance today to tackle it. I found that the front passengers door handle was causing the problem. Once disconnected my remote would lock and unlock the doors again. BUT, when near the car (mostly near the drivers door) with the remote in pocket or hand some mechanism is oscillating (sounds like the locks are locking and unlocking but the locks are not moving. Did you have to buy a new door handle or is there a way to fix it? If purchased where is a good place. Maybe I have two handles acting up.

Your advice was awesome, you were spot on, I really want to thank you for the post.
Vance

Last edited by vanceBMW; 08-16-2019 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto:
Vance, it still may be only one handle. Start by disconnecting the drivers door and see what happens. Leave the other door that is already disconnected the way it is. If the drivers door doesn't stop the relays from engaging then go to the next one. It only takes a couple minutes to disconnect as you've found out. The door handles are purchased through the dealer. They are about $300 bucks plus paint. The dealer wants $750 complete from start to finish to replace one handle! Remember, don't close the door without putting the handle back first!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search