Error Codes after work on Rocker - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 08-09-2019, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Error Codes after work on Rocker

Under warranty had repairs done recently to 2 oil leaks.

Noticed couple of days ago (3 days after getting car back)lots of blue smoke.
Just taken it to trusted Indy workshop who found 2 error codes.

2B65. DME camshaft sensor 2 exhaust.
2A8F. DME inlet camshaft 2 tooth offset to crankshaft.

These are apparently related to the recent works the dealership carried out on the car.

Can anyone enlighten me.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2019, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: E63 645ci
What work was carried out?
If this was just a valve cover seal job then I would suspect that nothing is actually wrong with the timing and something else is causing the DME to think there is.
Start cheap, check the MAF is correctly plugged in, pull the vanos solenoids and ensure the gause filters are clean (debris can be sucked into these after this type of job) and also ensure the leads are the correct way round for the inlet and exhaust solenoids (this one is highly suspect after this work), check the CCV's for any tears, all of this costs nothing to check. If you still have problems after the above then either have a smoke test done or do it yourself to see if you have any vacuum leaks.

Neal.
Old 08-10-2019, 01:48 PM
Super Moderator

Forgot to mention, also have a look for any oil around the cam sensors in case they didn't change the seals, this too could cause a vacuum leak, the cam sensors as well as the solenoid valves can be swapped to see if anything changes.

Neal.

Old 08-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
I would verify that the bank 1 & bank 2 camshafts sensors are located in the same position, since both camshaft sensors having problems are located on bank 2. Usually this want cause a code, but since you are a tooth off, this sounds like a timing issue. Was the timing chain removed, or pulled back out of the way where work could be done?
Old 08-11-2019, 12:14 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply. Repairs were carried out by a main dealer. They have agreed to take the car back again and sort it out. But I will tell them your ideas because I think you have more knowledge then they have!!! So thank you very much.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 08-11-2019, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkap View Post
Hi, thanks for the reply. Repairs were carried out by a main dealer. They have agreed to take the car back again and sort it out. But I will tell them your ideas because I think you have more knowledge then they have!!! So thank you very much.

Steve

HerbP most certainly, me well not so much, if he gives advice definitely take it .

Also I didn't notice before but now see your in London, while its in at the dealers ask them about the battery cable recall (if you haven't already had it done), I'm not sure if they've started it or if it's coming out soon but the E63/64's are being recalled for a screw connection between the positive battery cable and the boot floor which can corrode.

Bit more info here https://car-recalls.eu/recall-for-ha...battery-cable/

Neal.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsurf View Post
HerbP most certainly, me well not so much, if he gives advice definitely take it .

Also I didn't notice before but now see your in London, while its in at the dealers ask them about the battery cable recall (if you haven't already had it done), I'm not sure if they've started it or if it's coming out soon but the E63/64's are being recalled for a screw connection between the positive battery cable and the boot floor which can corrode.

Bit more info here https://car-recalls.eu/recall-for-ha...battery-cable/

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 08-11-2019, 10:44 PM

Hsurf, Wow thanks for that. I didnít know about that. Too right I will ask them to check. Thatís great. Thank you.

Steve.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search