The "I'm looking/shopping for a 6 series" and have some questions thread.... - Page 16 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 03-03-2019, 07:21 AM
Living the dream.

Mein Auto: 2004 645 convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by deroy View Post
The n52 features 258hp, but never mind, still plenty.

What does sports mode do in a car with 3 pedals and a stick? I think its just the adaptive suspension and active roll bars that get affected, right?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
I dont know how it works, but when sport mode is on you have to be really fast on the clutch from first to second.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019, 10:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 e70 4.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
I dont know how it works, but when sport mode is on you have to be really fast on the clutch from first to second.

I guess throttle response is different then.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: E63 645ci
Quote:
I guess throttle response is different then.

Correct, throttle response is increased .

Neal.

Old 03-04-2019, 11:49 AM
Living the dream.

First gear is very short. I am a little embarrassed to say I had to learn to drive the car the right way in both modes so I wouldn't fish tail the hell out if it down the road. When you are starting out of the hole it barely needs any gas to get going. Just a tap and you are shifting to 2nd.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: 08 650I Convertible
This was explained to me years ago... 1st gear is designed on "most " cars to just get you rolling.. Once rolling the whole physics/dynamics change for moving the car.. Try starting your car in 4th or 5th from a stop... BUT shift into 4th or 5th at a very low speed and it will handle it...
Old 03-05-2019, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
Quote:
The n52 features 258hp, but never mind, still plenty.

What does sports mode do in a car with 3 pedals and a stick? I think its just the adaptive suspension and active roll bars that get affected, right?

Tightens steering and more responsive (aka less linear) throttle response, so pretty much equivalent of t!t$ a bull in 99% of traffic conditions. Have not pushed that button in years.

Last edited by FredoinSF; 03-05-2019 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Bimmerfest sensored t!t$
Old 03-22-2019, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto:
I appreciate all of the info that's in this thread over the years.

I've always loved cars. I have a 2.5 and 8 year old. Daily driver is Denali XL - I'm looking to fill the "toy" void. I moved away from motorcycles until they are in college. The past toy was a money pit. 65 Caddy convertible. Bagged, custom everything, it was an extension of me. Unfortunately, it was always in the shop and I was afraid to drive it more than the 20 min drive to work. I got it for $13K and thought it was a deal. I spent over that in 5 years with repairs and trying to make it reliable for summer/spring - there goes a cheap toy.

I got 13K for it and strongly considering a 6 convertible to replace it. I dragged my feet on a 07, 2 owner garage kept 650 convertible with 40k miles for $13K. I rushed into previous toy purchases and paid the price. I dragged my feet and its gone, I'm kicking myself for letting that go.

I was looking to be in the $10k-15K range. It looks like 06-08 650's fall in that range with 30k miles up to 100k+. My brain doen't want to look for a car with more than 50K miles - but I went and bought the 2015 daily with that. Part of me says this will keep the miles off that.
It seems like the 09-11 are more reliable, but are in the $15-25 range.

It seems like the back seat should be large enough for the kids. The top will pretty much always be down so I'll throw the younger on in from the side. I haven't tested in person but the baby seat posts in here make it seem like it won't be an issue. Or should I look at a CLS? My father's past few cars have been them and have been a blast to drive. The convertible is something else though.

For whatever reason, i started looking at the M6's verts and found them in the low 20s. Am I a fool for considering them when I want a minimal maintenance toy? Or are they completely different and don't have the downpipe/oil issues?
Is the m6 overkill? I'll use the truck for long drives. I on Long Island and don't have fun, windy roads by me. My commute is a straight, 40 mph road.

ANy recommendations? 06-08 650 for $10-15K? Just got with a 09-11 650 for $15-20k because repairs are going to put me right there? Or go for status with a 06-08 M6 for 20k and hope for the best.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:24 AM
Living the dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackandChrome View Post
I appreciate all of the info that's in this thread over the years.

I've always loved cars. I have a 2.5 and 8 year old. Daily driver is Denali XL - I'm looking to fill the "toy" void. I moved away from motorcycles until they are in college. The past toy was a money pit. 65 Caddy convertible. Bagged, custom everything, it was an extension of me. Unfortunately, it was always in the shop and I was afraid to drive it more than the 20 min drive to work. I got it for $13K and thought it was a deal. I spent over that in 5 years with repairs and trying to make it reliable for summer/spring - there goes a cheap toy.

I got 13K for it and strongly considering a 6 convertible to replace it. I dragged my feet on a 07, 2 owner garage kept 650 convertible with 40k miles for $13K. I rushed into previous toy purchases and paid the price. I dragged my feet and its gone, I'm kicking myself for letting that go.

I was looking to be in the $10k-15K range. It looks like 06-08 650's fall in that range with 30k miles up to 100k+. My brain doen't want to look for a car with more than 50K miles - but I went and bought the 2015 daily with that. Part of me says this will keep the miles off that.

It seems like the 09-11 are more reliable, but are in the $15-25 range.

It seems like the back seat should be large enough for the kids. The top will pretty much always be down so I'll throw the younger on in from the side. I haven't tested in person but the baby seat posts in here make it seem like it won't be an issue. Or should I look at a CLS? My father's past few cars have been them and have been a blast to drive. The convertible is something else though.

For whatever reason, i started looking at the M6's verts and found them in the low 20s. Am I a fool for considering them when I want a minimal maintenance toy? Or are they completely different and don't have the downpipe/oil issues?

Is the m6 overkill? I'll use the truck for long drives. I on Long Island and don't have fun, windy roads by me. My commute is a straight, 40 mph road.

ANy recommendations? 06-08 650 for $10-15K? Just got with a 09-11 650 for $15-20k because repairs are going to put me right there? Or go for status with a 06-08 M6 for 20k and hope for the best.
The back seats are pretty big. But, the leg room isn't there. I sit nearly all the way back as far the seat will go. When I have the kids in the car I have to move my seat up a bit. The booster seat will fit without an issue.

The M6 is just a money pit. More maintenance, more things to worry about breaking. The N62 motor is virtually bulletproof. It's the things that hold it together that are problematic. Oil seals, valve steams etc...

Old 04-30-2019, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
Tightens steering and more responsive (aka less linear) throttle response, so pretty much equivalent of t!t$ a bull in 99% of traffic conditions. Have not pushed that button in years.
I'm in a less crowded condition and that's the only way the car's drive-able to me. My E28 535is has a better feel to it. Both cars are fun to lead other cars into a corner. You'll get more action with a 6 car.

Last edited by zod; 05-01-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2019, 11:19 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
The back seats are pretty big. But, the leg room isn't there. I sit nearly all the way back as far the seat will go. When I have the kids in the car I have to move my seat up a bit. The booster seat will fit without an issue.

The M6 is just a money pit. More maintenance, more things to worry about breaking. The N62 motor is virtually bulletproof. It's the things that hold it together that are problematic. Oil seals, valve steams etc...

Thanks for the feedback. I read ALL of the pages in here and it sound like the N62 is a time bomb and only a matter of time before the seals and valves go - with an expensive repair.

I was browsing the M5/M6 forum and thought it was mostly M5 related - but the rod bearing is scary.

This video does a good job and the comments help.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1296975

I'm torn. I don't want a money pit - but I love the look of this car. Plus I want the convertible. My sensible side says stay away.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:03 AM
Living the dream.

Dealers and private owners know that if these cars need valve seals or coolant transfer pipes that their value is near nothing. Most people will disclose these issues. Most dealers will fix it, than put them up for sale as their costs are usually fixed if they have a shop attached to them.

What I have noticed with my 6 series is that the more I drive it, the better it runs. The car needs to be driven.

With the M5 you need to change the bearings and a few other things as preventative maintenance. Thay could cost anywhere from $2800 to $6000. God forbid you buy an SMG car!

Check out Hoovies Garage on You Tube. He bought an M5 and his journey to restore it to glory was expensive and he wound up dumping the car anyway.

Last edited by The Thomas J; 05-23-2019 at 06:06 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackandChrome View Post
I'm torn. I don't want a money pit - but I love the look of this car. Plus I want the convertible. My sensible side says stay away.
I'm 15 months into a 2008 E64. The key factor was an example that had been maintained. I knew there would be some leaks going in and what the long term costs were going to be.

The folks around here seem to think this a pretty solid engine otherwise. My Indy gave it a major service and I replaced the battery and tires. 100K should be no problem. E63's weigh 400 lbs less.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search