F01 Rear Seat Entertainment Retrofit - OEM RSE - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW F01
F01 Rear Seat Entertainment Retrofit - OEM RSE

Hello fellow F01 and F02 owners! I recently took the plunge and sold my beloved E65 which I had owned for around 4 years, we had many ups and downs during my ownership, but it was a fantastic car and the only way forward for me was to purchase an F01. So here I am!

Anyway, during my E65 ownership I retrofitted the OEM rear entertainment package for the benefit of my three children, it was good fun to do and was worth while for long journeys.

Trying to find an F01 in the UK with rear entertainment and the list of must have options for me like soft close doors, HUD, stability control, active steering etc... was incredibly difficult to the point where I gave up!

I decided to take a chance and have a go at retrofitting the RSE mid/Business system to my F01.

I thought I would share in the hope it may inspire others, perhaps a little crazy like myself, to undertake this retrofit!

Some of you may ask, why go to all this trouble? Simple answer is my preference is OEM because it's better integrated. Personally I also like the look of the pre LCI monitors.

I also fitted the basic MID or Business system, the reason for this was because I have three children, the armrest idrive controls used with the professional system would therefore be useless.

Anyway onto the interesting part:

The RSE module mounted inside the back of the centre console in the main control unit for the rear monitors, much like the CIC unit in the dash. It has a single slot loading DVD drive and two CVBS video inputs at the rear for TV and the DVD changer.

The monitors in the seats are connected by LVDS cables that use Fakra HSD connectors

I made the entire retrofit harness myself, However I understand you can purchase it from the dealer with part number 61122154683.

The monitors I bought came with the seat harness which saved me a bit of work, they also came with black seat backs, I have the saddle brown interior, and the black seat backs look great especially hiding dirty marks from the kids shoes! I paid approx. £500 inc shipping for the set from a German breakers.

I purchased ready made 3 meter long HSD cables on eBay that are designed for the combox to USB socket in a E90. They were about $30 each.

I built the harness in the car, the main bulk of it gathers under the centre console, there are two 12V feeds from the rear fuse box, one supplies the RSE module, the other supplies the monitors, a ground wire was run from the centre console to an earth stud behind the rear seat.

Supplies wired to rear fuse box:

The main bulk of the wiring accumulating under the centre console, other than 12V and ground, there are two screened 2 core cables (black), each running to either monitor for the infra red headphone interface, a terminal 58G wire that connects to the FRM module for the interior lighting, and a CVBS cable (grey) from the TV tuner in the boot.

These are all made off to a 20 way MQS connector:

The power connectors I managed to order as samples from Tyco Electronics, BMW does not seem to stock these crimps, only the wire seal version which is incompatible with the MQS housing.

UPDATE:

The following photos show the assembly of the wiring harness that plugs into the back of the RSE unit, I will post part numbers of connectors if anyone wants them.

Complete, just waiting to terminate the MOST fibres:

The entire centre console was removed to gain access to the carpet seams and conduit to run the MOST fibre to the rear of the CIC and the K-CAN, There is a BMW retrofit document for this so I have cheated a little bit and followed some aspects of the document, especially relating to picking up the K-CAN and MOST.

The picture below shows the K-CAN twisted wires being installed under the centre console area:

The K-CAN is spliced to the existing K-CAN wires at the rear of the CIC using the BMW wire connectors, you can also see the MOST fibre coupler in the upper right, this essentially extends the MOST ring to the RSE in the centre console:

Two branches extend from the centre console to the seats, I used a black nylon braid to cover the harnesses such that they look like the OEM ones. The harness simply tucks under the carpet sections as the seam/join for the front and rear carpet sections is directly under the front seats:

Thats pretty much it for the wiring, the terminal 58G interior lighting signal is spliced to the harness connector on the FRM module, the power and ground for the RSE and Monitors are routed under the passenger (RHD) seat and up to the rear of the vehicle.

Thats it for now, I will post more progress shortly!

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 08-04-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015, 12:05 AM

Place holder
Old 08-04-2015, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 750
Nice I look forward to the outcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2015, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 750i 740i 330ci
That's good work, but I think I would have just gone for a tablet mount/retrofit, much newer (and upgradable) technology and simpler to implement, portable and you don't take a loss when you resell.

F01 750i Dark Graphite Metallic M-Sport Packages: Driver Assistance | ARS | Luxury Seating | Camera | Convenience | Premium Sound | 20" 303M Wheels | Ceramic Controls
BMS Stage 1 Tune | Pedal Box | M-Sport Paddle Shift Steering Wheel | 5000k HID | Tint | Mtec Angel Eyes LED | Rear Tinted Taillights | Coded

E38 740i Black Sport Packages: PDC | Convenience | Sunshade
Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Ring | Modified M-Sport Steering Wheel | Tint | MKIV NAV | 4500K HID | 3M DiNOC Carbon Fiber Trim | Heated Seats | Refinished M-Parallel Wheels | Celis Tails

My PedalBox Stealth Install: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=725889
Old 08-04-2015, 03:47 PM

Thanks, I am nearing completion now, I started this around 2 months ago, I have been retrofitting TV and automatic boot lid actuation at the same time whilst the car was in bits!

Thanks 'aom' I agree and its a sensible option, however I'm a sucker for OEM retrofits!

Onto the monitor fitment...

The monitors mount to plastic base plates, these are bolted to the seat frame using four M6 fixings. The holes are blind so a stud insert is used to secure them:

I didn't fancy buying a special tool just to use eight times so knocked up a simple tool to do the job:

It is simply a crude pulling tool that pulls the threaded part of the insert, the insert works like a rivet and expands behind the sheet metal and compresses tightly securing it in place. Insert the bolt into the brass holder, screw the stud insert into the bolt, place over the hole and wind the nut down whilst holding the bolt in the same position.

Next is to mark out where the foam is to be cut out, I used a bread knife to cut the foam such that the base plate could be inserted under the leather of the seat.

I then carefully cut the leather along the inside edge of the monitor aperture.

Trial fit the monitor trim:

It took a while to ensure the correct shape of the seat was obtained, I bonded the leather to the base plate using a high strength contact adhesive, this is the result before the monitor and trim is fitted:

Here is a quick shot showing the monitors and trims installed, I got the last monitor installed this evening. Apologies for the poor quality, I will get some better ones in daylight.

Very happy with the results so far, the seat backs are fitted temporarily whilst I finish routing and securing the wiring to the seat frames.

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 08-04-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Black 750Li
I'm impressed...that is a ton of work, mostly for the benefit of the little ones in the car seats, also retrofitted I assume...

Most dads would have simply tossed a couple of iPads in the back seat...the things we do for our kids!

Very nice work - looks OEM...now you can enjoy your F01 even more!
Cold Weather Package, Driver Assistance Plus, Executive Package, Lighting Package, Luxury Rear Seating Package, M Sport Package, Rear Entertainment Package, Active Front Seats, B&O Sound System, Piano Black Finish Trim, 20" M4 Gunmetal Replica Wheels, BMS Stage 1 Performance Tune, Motive Mods Pedal Box, CF Front Chin Lip/Spoiler, CR Roof Spoiler, CF Rear Lip/Spoiler, Coded
Old 08-05-2015, 03:18 AM

Mein Auto: F01 750i xDrive early2010
Stuart, this is an outstanding work!
Your kids will be very happy with it!
My mouth is still open, after seeing all the detailed pics.

Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 08-05-2015, 03:25 PM

Mein Auto: F01 750i xDrive early2010
Stuart, I want to beg you for something.

I am so unhappy with the light color from my license plate LEDs. They almost look yellow.
Second problem: One LEDs starts to flicker sometimes.
They are not changeable. Only way is to replace the complete Module with electronics of the grip from trunk lid. Very difficult to chance and expensive.

Here somebody disasambled the complete trunk lid. Very much nice detailed pictures in the thread.
http://www.7-forum.com/forum/40/led-...-211673-3.html

He said that it makes no sence to disasable the complete unit. Best way is to take out the 2 lenses and build in new LEDs.

Stuart, can you find a solution to build in nice white colored LEDs without error codes?

I would so much appreciate this.

Last edited by BMW-Rocky; 08-05-2015 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:14 PM

Hello BMW-Rocky,

Apologies for the delay, I'm afraid I haven't had the misfortune to have this issue.... yet! no doubt it will arise! From what I gather they are trying to replace the failed LED with the individually mounted BMW ones or even using another LED assembly entirely.

Its generally the LED chip itself that fails, if you can identify the LED chip itself then it could be replaced, not easy for a DIY'er though. Im unsure exactly how the bulb check works on the LED modules, so I can't comment on how to ensure the replacement would be error free. I can see the board has two LED's two diodes, two resistors and a SOT23 packaged device. I will have a look around online and see if I can understand the circuit and advise.

Stuart
Old 08-10-2015, 03:28 PM

UPDATE:

I have finally completed the monitor installation, it was pretty time consuming getting the monitor base plates to fit correctly but I got there in the end!

Sadly the seat back covers supplied with the monitors were damaged, the two clips that hold the lower brackets were pulled out of the fibre board material. I had to improvise here and fabricate a bracket to hold the clips from my old seat backs.

Here is the aluminium strip 282mm long and 25mm wide, holes are drilled 242mm between centres:

I made some small brass nuts approx 10mm diameter which stepped down to 8mm to locate into the OEM clips:

These were then bonded to the bottom of the seat backs using an industrial strength contact adhesive:

After the adhesive had cured the seat backs and monitor trims could finally be installed:

Stuart
Old 08-10-2015, 03:51 PM

CODING:

The final step was to power up the RSE unit and code it to the vehicle.

Upon connecting the RSE and monitors to the vehicle I ran a diagnostic scan using Rheingold, this detected the RSE unit and the monitors FD and FD2.

All three had errors, 'No Coding Data Present' and 'Module is not Coded to the Vehicle'

I closed this and ran E-Sys, the modules require the CAFD files to be issued to them so they can be coded.

To code the units I had to add option code SA6FG to the vehicle order, I could then select the FD, FD2 and RSE modules and click the 'Detect CAFD for SWE' button, this allows you to issue the CAFD file to the modules, then simply hit the 'Code' button on the selected modules.

This has to be done for the FD, FD2, RSE and CIC at a minimum.

The rear entertainment remote can then be paired/programmed to the car using the service activities section in Rheingold.

Luckily my F01 had a full firmware update in April this year, I ran an update calculation and found the monitors and RSE were already running the latest version of software, all is good!

Anyway here are some pictures with it finally coded and fired up!

Children are very happy!

Stuart

Last edited by stuartjohn24; 08-10-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:59 AM

Mein Auto: F01 750i X-drive
Hello Stuart

Beautiful work !

Completing such an effort requires lots of talents; in electronics, in wiring, seat cutting and coding… Just what do you do for a living?

You wrote that you also retrofitted the TV module. Is it the one with combined analogue and DVB-T tuner? My car has the pro RSE and that TV-module. Unfortunately the DVB-T part only understand MPEG2 signals. In Denmark all TV signals are broadcasted in DVB-T MPEG4 only and therefor the TV tuner in my car is useless.

In your search for the right OEM TV-module, did you come across one that understands MPEG4 signals or can you otherwise advise me? Like you, I insist on an OEM module that fully integrates in i-Drive.

Best regards,

SK
Old 08-11-2015, 08:29 AM
2010 F07 550i

Mein Auto: 2010 GT 550i
My hat is off to you. Excellent work and integration. I will be doing this in future. Thank you. Awesome post.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK66 View Post
Hello Stuart

Beautiful work !

Completing such an effort requires lots of talents; in electronics, in wiring, seat cutting and coding… Just what do you do for a living?

You wrote that you also retrofitted the TV module. Is it the one with combined analogue and DVB-T tuner? My car has the pro RSE and that TV-module. Unfortunately the DVB-T part only understand MPEG2 signals. In Denmark all TV signals are broadcasted in DVB-T MPEG4 only and therefor the TV tuner in my car is useless.

In your search for the right OEM TV-module, did you come across one that understands MPEG4 signals or can you otherwise advise me? Like you, I insist on an OEM module that fully integrates in i-Drive.

Best regards,

SK

Thanks SK,

For my day job I'm an Electronics engineer for a company manufacturing OEM equipment for the rail industry.

I have a keen interest in electronics and general engineering as a hobby.

Yes there is! It's called TV modul 2, it was fitted to the LCI 7ers I believe and can decode MPEG4. It's easily identifiable as it has a black HSD Ethernet connector between the main plug and the antennas. Loads on eBay in Europe.

I'm in the UK so stuck with the MPEG2 variant.

Hope that helps!

Stuart
Old 08-14-2015, 08:37 AM

Thank you for answering, Stuart

Searched Ebay as you suggested and found one, but is the right one? Do you know if it will be a pnp exchange or does the new one have to be coded into my car?

Best regards,

SK
Old 08-14-2015, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
Thanks, I am nearing completion now, I started this around 2 months ago, I have been retrofitting TV and automatic boot lid actuation at the same time whilst the car was in bits!

Thanks 'aom' I agree and its a sensible option, however I'm a sucker for OEM retrofits!

Onto the monitor fitment...

The monitors mount to plastic base plates, these are bolted to the seat frame using four M6 fixings. The holes are blind so a stud insert is used to secure them:

I didn't fancy buying a special tool just to use eight times so knocked up a simple tool to do the job:

It is simply a crude pulling tool that pulls the threaded part of the insert, the insert works like a rivet and expands behind the sheet metal and compresses tightly securing it in place. Insert the bolt into the brass holder, screw the stud insert into the bolt, place over the hole and wind the nut down whilst holding the bolt in the same position.

Next is to mark out where the foam is to be cut out, I used a bread knife to cut the foam such that the base plate could be inserted under the leather of the seat.

I then carefully cut the leather along the inside edge of the monitor aperture.

Trial fit the monitor trim:

It took a while to ensure the correct shape of the seat was obtained, I bonded the leather to the base plate using a high strength contact adhesive, this is the result before the monitor and trim is fitted:

Here is a quick shot showing the monitors and trims installed, I got the last monitor installed this evening. Apologies for the poor quality, I will get some better ones in daylight.

Very happy with the results so far, the seat backs are fitted temporarily whilst I finish routing and securing the wiring to the seat frames.

Stuart
i love it. but I'm bias. mine came with it. only thing i wish the dvd in front would play on rear so all can see same movie.
i have no kids. but have grandson that never used it expect this last vacation drive trip . never noticed that ember light on seat back cover. going to check mine now. but great work.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:13 PM

F01 Rear Seat Entertainment Retrofit - OEM RSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK66 View Post
Thank you for answering, Stuart

Searched Ebay as you suggested and found one, but is the right one? Do you know if it will be a pnp exchange or does the new one have to be coded into my car?

Best regards,

SK

Hello SK,

Yep that's the one, yes it will work without coding if your doing a swap, it will log an error of it not being coded to the vehicle, this can be sorted easily but it's not a must do if that makes sense?

Stuart
Old 08-14-2015, 01:45 PM

Hello Stuart,

Can I, politely, ask you to elaborate, “this can be sorted easily”?

Best regards,

SK
Old 08-15-2015, 12:04 PM

Mein Auto: 750 Li Individual G12
Hi Mr stuart
I must say Great work, well explained, also can you explain little bit about how to program remote, need a to program replaced remote for my F02,
i will really appreciate your help.

Thanks

AJ
Toronto Canada
Old 09-14-2015, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: F15
WOW! My wife calls me crazy for some of the projects I take on, but you Sir, have me beat!

Excellent work!
Old 09-14-2015, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 750Li
I am officially impressed. Congrats. Great job.

designo Mocha Black . . . . . . | designo Auburn Brown . . . . . | Individual Azurite Black . . . . . . . . . . | Individual Opal White
Old 09-14-2015, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2019 540iX
come to my house and do mine! looks awesome!
Old 09-14-2015, 09:48 AM
1st Time Bimmer (F02)...

Mein Auto: 2011 750Li Xdrive
AMAZING work! how much was the total cost of this project, if u don't mind me asking?

22" Forgiato Ritorno Color Matched Staggered
MTEC V3 7000K H8 Angel Eyes
MTEC H11 6000K Fog Lights
DTM Fiberwerkz Front Lip Spoiler
760 Quad Tips/Diffuser
Coded [by Rich (Octopump)]
RWS
Old 09-14-2015, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328GT/740LI/750LI
WOW! That was amazing Stuart.
Lane departure, blind spot detection,
Collision Mitigation,
Side & Top View Cameras
Aftermarket Rear entertainment
Old 09-14-2015, 11:35 PM

Thanks for the feedback! It wasn't cheap, I spent probably around $1000 USD in total, actually finding the parts can be tricky and price varies wildly!
Stuart

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search