BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Tires. Stay with P Zero?

Tags
m5 p zero tires
2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Huncowboy 
#1 ·
Time for new tires at 12k. I was just wondering if anyone experienced with other than the Pirellis? I find them ok, though a bit loud and they were super slippery in Europe with temperatures around 40-50F on wet surface. I mean without even applying any power I slid a bit, in a slow highway curve, around 70 mph, while following a Skoda. Traction on, by the way. The delivery person in the Welt warned me about this prior and he was right. But in the FL heat they feel decent in rain. So I lean toward buying them again but if you guys have found something you liked better I would like to hear it.

Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
I have Pirelli P7 Zero's on both our X1 MSport (RFT 19" staggered Summer perf vers) and on our G30 540xDrive (19" RFT All-Season). Tire wear has been decent (we run a dedicated winter set on the X1) and they are pretty quiet. I'm at 25,000 miles on the G30 and still have 7/32+ tread so for now I'll avoid any snow-shoeing if any gets here this winter. Traction and handling are good for a "compromise" tire - They are quiet too ... If I need tires on the G30 before the X5 Hybrid is available in the USA [hope it is my next BMW?!?!] I'll probably stay with the Pirelli RFTs.

PS_ your comment about slippery in Europe - I suspect you didn't heed the usual caution about "NEW TIRES" needing to some break-in: https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/selecting-the-correct-tire-for-your-needs/breaking-in-your-new-tires

#3 ·
I was just talking to someone the other day about their Pirellis. Awful wear. I've been using Michelins for a couple of decades now. My favorite is the Pilot A/S 3+ on our daily cars. They're quiet, ride really well, and I get close to 40k miles out of them. They are excellent in heavy FL rain, and acceptable in Ohio snow.

My M roadster has a set of Pilot 4S -- I had some Pilot 3S' on an E60 and got about 25k miles out of them, but the roadster barely sees 1k miles per year. I have some Defenders on my QX56 and they should get over 40k miles before needing to be replaced. The Defenders are also quiet and smooth-riding.

#4 ·
I was just talking to someone the other day about their Pirellis. Awful wear. I've been using Michelins for a couple of decades now. My favorite is the Pilot A/S 3+ on our daily cars. They're quiet, ride really well, and I get close to 40k miles out of them. They are excellent in heavy FL rain, and acceptable in Ohio snow.

My M roadster has a set of Pilot 4S -- I had some Pilot 3S' on an E60 and got about 25k miles out of them, but the roadster barely sees 1k miles per year. I have some Defenders on my QX56 and they should get over 40k miles before needing to be replaced. The Defenders are also quiet and smooth-riding.
I should have mentioned I do not use run-flats!

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

The Michelin Pilot Sport 4S has some real good reviews on tirerack. I am looking those. I might go with those. Anyone using those on the M5 Comp?

(Btw the 524td was awesome, and so was the 525tds. We had both. Well... my parents did. Back when.)

#6 ·
524td

Thanks for the replies.

(Btw the 524td was awesome, and so was the 525tds. We had both. Well... my parents did. Back when.)
Indeed it was! Put almost 300,000 miles on it before it got "tired". A terrific highway car and I loved to "lean on it" at low speeds and surprise slower cars while still getting 30+mpg overall.

(PS - when ya got on it the smoke screen it laid down because it was designed for power took care of tailgaters too!) :rofl:

#7 ·
Indeed it was! Put almost 300,000 miles on it before it got "tired". A terrific highway car and I loved to "lean on it" at low speeds and surprise slower cars while still getting 30+mpg overall.

(PS - when ya got on it the smoke screen it laid down because it was designed for power took care of tailgaters too!) :rofl:
They were awesome. It topped out right at 198kmh in Germany on the highway. Definitely lots of smoke coming through the pipe when flooring it.

Ps. Just got my Pilot Sport 4S set in. I am heading to get those installed today. I will report back how they feel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.