BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Tire question

Tags
f06 tires
3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Autoputzer 
#1 ·
Guys, I've been looking at purchasing a used 2014 F06 but I have some concerns about tire longevity. I've looked at several CarFax reports and I've seen many that indicate "One Tire Mounted", "One Tire Balanced". I've seen one report where it appears that the car went through 20+ tires in less than 30K miles! Is this a common issue that should be expected with these vehicles?

Thanks for any input / guidance.

#2 ·
You must specify your precise alignment numbers for your purposes to the mechanic. Your car may have never been aligned, or it may have been aligned to please a drifter-kid.

Hypothetically, why not align square to the road, ZERO toe and ZERO camber? Learn the effects, marginal and extreme, of alignment. Best wishes.

#3 ·
Short answer: Yes, BMWs eat rear tires, it's a thing, and the factory runflats are evidently made of glass.

Long answer: The factory alignment specs eat the inner shoulder off of the rear tires, especially with spirited driving. Some have fiddled with the alignment or even installed aftermarket components to allow the rear tires less negative camber, but the caveat is that the handling balance at the limits is likely to be affected. Furthermore, the factory combination of runflat tires and very short sidewalls leaves the tires vulnerable to damage from potholes and such, so it is common to have to replace one tire at a time if you drive on beat up roads. This is pretty much solved by switching to non-runflats, with the added benefit of improved ride quality.

#8 ·
The wheels and tires are a bit of a weak spot for some BMWs, particularly if your state has consistently poor roads (Indiana and Michigan come to mind). We don't have potholes in South FL, but seem to pick up nails and screws a few times per year on average. I find it difficult to get a run flat repaired, and so I have gotten rid of them. Conventional tires seem to be more durable, in my experience, and I can get one patched or plugged when necessary.

Reactions: mdstahl
#9 ·
Run-flats tires (RFT's) can be damaged by potholes. They might be getting a bad rap, though. I suspect a lot of $300 RFT's sacrifice their lives to save the $800 wheel.

RFT's wear faster than non-RFT's.

High performance tires wear out faster than low-performance ("all-season" or "touring") tires.

Staggered set-ups (wider tires and wheels in the back) prevent front-to-back tire rotation. The back tires on BMW passenger cars wear faster and also differently (due to negative camber in the back).

The recommended tire pressures for BMW's are usually less than the ideal pressures for even tire wear.

I ordered Frau Putzer's G01 X3 with non-RFT, square set-up, all-season tires. I run them four (rear) or six (front) PSI over the decal pressures, and I rotate them every 7k miles. Based on tread wear in the first 20k miles, they should last somewhere between 55k and 60k miles. High performance, non-RFT's on my square set-up 535i will last 35k to 40k miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.