BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M2 tire recommendations?

8K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Capobranco 
#1 ·
I have a 2017 M2 6-speed coupe with 7700 miles. I do not track the car and my driving is pretty conservative, overall. :) The rear tires need to be replaced and I would like to put something on that would soften the ride up a bit. (The front tires are about 50% worn.)

I live in a dry climate and while I appreciate the car’s incredible handling, like I said it’s driven pretty conservatively. The representative at my tire shop has suggested replacing all four tires with a slightly wider tire to put more tread on the ground. He tells me this should improve the ride quality. Specifically, he recommends Yokohama Sport A/S plus. 255/35R19 for the front and 275/35R19 for the rear.

Has anybody done this? Any thoughts/recommendations? Thanks!

#2 ·
Tire Rack's and Discount Tire's websites show that your car takes a 245/35-19 in the front and 265/35-19 in the rear. The factor that affects ride quality is the height of the sidewalls. Going to those goofball sizes will increase your sidewall height by 3.5mm (0.137"). You're not going to feel that.

Lower speed rating tires might ride softer. But, most tire shops will not put 105 MPH, 128 MPH, or 137 MPH tires on a 155 MPH car. That's asking for getting pounced on my personal injury attorneys when you tires melt and you die.

Trade your M2 on for a 230i, and find a new tire store.

#3 ·
I just replaced mine.

I stayed with the factory size. Like you, I don***8217;t drive aggressively. I chose the General Max summer tire through Tire Rack.

I had a tough time deciding between those, Michelin, and Continental. I***8217;ve had Michelin and Continental on my other cars. Honestly, I think the Generals are just as good if not better. I***8217;ve driven them in sun and rain. I***8217;m so happy with them I am going to put the all season version on my F31.

#4 ·
I just replaced mine.

I stayed with the factory size. Like you, I don't drive aggressively. I chose the General Max summer tire through Tire Rack.

I had a tough time deciding between those, Michelin, and Continental. I've had Michelin and Continental on my other cars. Honestly, I think the Generals are just as good if not better. I've driven them in sun and rain. I'm so happy with them I am going to put the all season version on my F31.
Thanks Rick… I saw your review on tire rack also! Sounds like a good choice.

#5 ·
On an F87, I wouldn't put a cheap/comfy/mild tire. I'd put something like a pilot super sport(stock), or something more aimed at high speed.

What do you say after a tire grenades at 140 mph, when it was only designed for 125 on a good day?

I daily the M2C, but the family car is an MDX SH, I use that for the cheap off brand tires. I don't think it's ever hit 110 mph.

It's better to spend more money on something you may not use, and end up needing it; as compared to getting cheap and losing more than the cost of tires over a small mistake.

Sy

#6 ·
I've always been a fan of putting tyres on a car that come from factory. If all testing and engineering carried out on the vehicle is based on using the Michellins it comes with, then that seems like a sound default option. I'd also be keeping the widths and profiles original too. Just how I would do it. Also, those Michellins are not exactly a low quality product. To get an even better tyre might buy you the slightest improvement but is it really worth taking the risk to try that given the very high bar those Michellins set.

#7 ·
The 255/275 combo is run on the M3/4 from my understanding. On another forum, plenty of people run this set up on their m2s.

If you get on to that forum I believe there is a tyre thread. A few people have commented on a set of Goodyear's (can't recall the name) that are about half the price of the Michelin's and perform slightly better.

#9 · (Edited)
I have a 2017 M2 with 49 K miles. I live 20 miles outside of DC in Potomac, MD.

I use the car for commuting as well as weekend spirited excursions to the mountains.

The car was originally equipped with Conti Extreme Contacts. The tires had high limits that encouraged spirited driving but the ride was harsh.
In their favor was their cold weather tolerance - the Contis were passable at 40 degree temps. However, they only lasted about 12,000 miles - the rears going first.

Needing more all weather capability, I switched to Michelin Pilot AS3+s all season. Car was great in all weather conditions especially in down pours.
The ride was improved - sporty but comfortable and noticeably less harsh over sharp bumps. Tires were slightly more noisy. Most importantly,
car was still fun to drive as a daily driver. Overall, good tires but I wanted more of an "edge". The Pilot AS3+s lasted 18K miles - rears going first.

Wanting to have the best of all worlds, I decided to try the newly introduced Michelin Pilot Sport Plus4s. I hoped the Plus 4s would deliver spirited performance,
enhanced durability, improved ride, and less cold temp sensitivity vs other max performance summer tires. In short, I hoped that the Plus4s would be "The One".
Alas, they were ok, no real complaints, but they were not the revelation I had hoped - overall, nice tires. The Michelin Pilot Sport4s lasted 13,000 miles.

With reluctance, I turned to BMW original equipment Michelin Pilot Super Sports. I wish I had done this years ago. The PSS are hands down the best tires
I have had - sporty with enhanced steering feel, complimented by very acceptable ride characteristics. Tires feel much more lively than the Sport Plus4s - equal to the Conti Extremes. The PSS are competent In the rain, equal to the Contis - with the PilotPlus4s having a slight edge. Michelin PSS have reinforced the lively persona of my M2. The driving experience with PSS tires feels more vibrant if not "brighter".

Reactions: rmjames007
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.