BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What are the best e39 snow tires?

17K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  QSilver7 
#1 ·
I have a 530i sport with summer tires and I need a good all weather tire. This is my first experience with a BMW in the snow so I'm looking for a bit of advice from seasoned owners.

Thanks!

#4 ·
Snows are a definite must in our part of the country. Notice I said SNOWS and not All Season -- there is a huge diff especially in a RWD car.

I'm currently running 18" Dunlop Winter Sport 3D and like them a lot..I've also owned Blizzak LM22's and they were a great snow tire too.

Be careful and do your homework or you'll be sorry. Blizzak for instance has LM22's, LM25's and WS50's.

The WS50 (while providing great traction) was a very soft tire and (imho) absolutely ruined the driving experience of the BMW. I'd never buy them again.

I believe the LM25 is similar to the LM22 -- the next generation.

G/L!

#6 ·
Nokian Hakkapeliitta

I went with the "R" model for my 530i sport in Boston. If I lived somewhere with more snow I would have went with the studded "5" version (you can get the 5 unstudded as well). They are pricey but well worth it if you do a lot of winter driving.
+ 1,000,000
Note: make sure you look in the rearview mirror often, especially when you brake. You can, the others don't (on ice and snow I mean)

#10 · (Edited)
I've have to give a shout out to the new Michelin X-Ice Xi2 studless snow/ice tires....if that's the type of winter tire that fits anyone's needs. They have been way more than what I could ask for. This is my first winter with them...my previous studless snow/ice tires were Michelin Arctic Alpins.

We had a severe ice storm the week before Christmas where there was a layer of ice about 1"+ thick. Then came the snow and the sub-zero freezing weather...and these tires have been excellent, I haven't got stuck once, or slid of the road, or fishtailed out of control...braking and turning have been excellent.

The warm weather handling is way better as well. When the temps were up in the mid 50s...the Xi2 tires weren't squirmy like the Arctic Alpins...and they aren't as noisy either. Just last night, I had them up between 90MPH-100MPH as I had to accelerate to get out on the Interstate...and I didn't even know I was going that fast until I looked down. The tires are just that well rounded for various conditions.

If anyone is looking for a studless snow/ice tire...I highly recommend them. :D

#12 ·
Real snow tires are for snow. It doesn't matter how good they are or are not in warmer weather. If you want snow tires get snows and do not compromise. Put your summer tires back on when the snows stop.

All season tires do nothing good. They are a compromise in every way. A jack of all seasons and master of none. Not good in snow and not a good summer tire.

I grew up in Michigan and lived in Alaska for a few years so I have some experience.

#14 ·
Summer tires + snow = FTW

All season tires suck.
Studs are the way to go in winter/ice conditions, but different cities have different laws.

#19 ·
X-Ice. And they're good too. I have also heard good things about Blizzaks, Hakkapelittas, Goodyear Ultragrips, among others. I think with any of the major name brand snows, especially newer models, you'll have a hard time going wrong.

Here's a great rant about snow tires:

http://www.rickmercer.com/blog/index.cfm/2008/11/25/To-Every-Season-a-Tire-of-its-Own

"I'm one of those Canadians that likes winter. Sure I think it lasts too long, but still I like to see it coming. So when we had the first snowfall here in Toronto I went for a walk.

And with the snowflakes gently falling against the street lights I wandered around the city for about half and hour and I enjoyed the sights and sounds of 13 fender benders in nine languages.

Yes, it was a winter wonderland interrupted only when some guy in an Audi locked up his brakes and slid head first into a telephone pole about three feet from my legs. Then he jumps out and says, "Don't move, I might need a witness."

And I'm thinking what's he need a witness for? What's he gonna do, say it wasn't his fault? Did the pole jump out in front of his car? And then when I asked him later, did he have snow tires on, he looked at me like I was an idiot and said, "I don't need snow tires, I've got all-season radials."

This is what I want to know: how can a guy be smart enough to have a job that lets him drive a 59 thousand dollar car and yet be stupid enough to say he doesn't need snow tires when he's standing next to his Audi that's wrapped around a pole?

This is Canada. There's no such thing as all-season tires just like there's no such thing as all-season footwear. There is in southern California. They're called flip-flops. You wear them in all seasons up here you'd end up with no feet.

The first sign of flurries in Toronto, the entire place becomes a bumper car track. No exaggeration, the provincial police said there were 900 fender benders in Toronto in the first five centimetres of snow. This is a crisis Ontario.

There's no shame in being a have not province. Being a can't drive province... that's just embarrassing. Driving in the snow is like sex. If you want to avoid accidents abstinence is the best policy; but if you're gonna take a spin, use protection."

#20 ·
Last I knew, Blizzaks had a dual compound. A "sticky" compound on the outer 1/2 tread thickness and a higher wearing compound on the inner 1/2 of the tread thickness. Once 1/2 worn, the performance in snow goes to hell. Has this changed recently? I know my buddies 3 year old Blizzaks that are about 1/2 worn behaved this way. He just replaced them because snow traction sucked bad.

From Tirerack
When the Blizzak WS60 is 50-percent worn, a tread depth indicator molded into the tread design lets the driver know that only 10 percent of the remaining tread is the Tube Multicell compound.

NOTE: Snow platform indicators (the equivalent of snow wear bars) are molded into the Blizzak LM-22's tread grooves to inform the driver when ice and snow traction will be reduced as the tire's tread wear reaches the point where the remaining tread depth becomes less effective in deep snow.

#21 ·
Blizzaks

RULE!

You know E=MC2 stuff...it appears that the molecules of snow ice and salt are wisked away by the downward pressure of the tire on the driving surface. As the tire propels the vehicle the distinctly unique tread pattern of the BLIZZAK takes over and thrusts the unwanted and highly cumbersome molecules out of the way so the remaining tread can grab the undersurface, and if that undersurface is snow it creats a digging proportiionate to the weight of the vehicle, the forward momentum, slippage/spin and the thrust being generated by the drive train. Thereby making the blizzak one of the most sought after tires of all time. For those who do not realize the traction of the Blizzak I suggest you consult a local university for a good lesson in physics, or ask someone that has tried them. Since I had physics many moons ago I go with experience.

I know there are other good snow tires out there but the BLIZZAKS are amongst the best :thumbup:

#23 ·
You know E=MC2 stuff...it appears that the molecules of snow ice and salt are wisked away by the downward pressure of the tire on the driving surface. As the tire propels the vehicle the distinctly unique tread pattern of the BLIZZAK takes over and thrusts the unwanted and highly cumbersome molecules out of the way so the remaining tread can grab the undersurface, and if that undersurface is snow it creats a digging proportiionate to the weight of the vehicle, the forward momentum, slippage/spin and the thrust being generated by the drive train. Thereby making the blizzak one of the most sought after tires of all time. For those who do not realize the traction of the Blizzak I suggest you consult a local university for a good lesson in physics, or ask someone that has tried them. Since I had physics many moons ago I go with experience.
Would you please identify where the above statements came from? :dunno:

#29 ·
The cells, multi cells, sponge effect, etc are not sponges in the conventional sense. The rubber does not soak up water like the open cells of a sponge.

Sipes are small linear slits in the rubber like if cut by a razor, or small holes as noted above, that provide edges for grip. And to a lesser degree these shapes mechanically create a small vacuum as the tire rolls.

My main point is that the rubber is not like a conventional sponge. It does not have open cells like a sponge. The tire does not weigh more when wet like a sponge does.

#30 ·
i've ran on Gislaved, Dunlop m3, dunlop m2, GY Ultragrip, LM-25's and WS50's on my cars.

only the Gizlaved are real winter (snow and ice) tires. you can add studs to them if you like and they work like asprin.

the dunlop m2's are ok... they get the job done but you need to make them work at it. i live on a hill so i gauge the traction based on how it goes up the hill. the M2's crunch away, slips a little and then goes.

the M3's are good. didn't get to really put them though some serious work as when i had them it didn't snow much if at all.

WS50's...... only step below the Gizlaved since there's no option to stud them. they pretty much take anything you can throw at it except speed. don't stay at over 100 on dry pavement since they are not rated for anything over 109. kinda blows when you're going on a long trip on the NJ Autobahn and you're limited by the tire more than anything else.

GY ultragrip is what i have on now. i would rate it as the high speed version of the ws50. the last few snow storms we've had, it performed flawlessly. up a hill, take a turn, etc etc.

now... the LM25's. they are OK at best. like i mentioned before, i live on a hill and i had to turn the acs off, work the tire and the diff to get up the hill on a few inches of snow. all my other tires had not a single issue of just crunching away and go. the LM25 is the only tire that started to slip and trench itself. it's like the not-so-fat-but-not-so-skinny-and-not-that-ugly-but-not-good-looking girl. you'll do her if you had to at a good price but if there's other options around, you'd skip on these.

#31 ·
Thanks Frank. I know about sipes. Did not know about the "sponge"
Dan, Gislaved are Swedish winter tires and are quite good.
A few years back when I had my Volvo S60, and was at the Volvo dealership, I showed up with the Nokian (Hakkapelita). They knew what I had on my car. They told me that while the Gislaved are very good tires, and probably better then any leading brand, they don't even come close to the Hakkas. And I tried different winters too. I am truly ipmpressed with the Nokians. They use a totally different rubber compuond other manufacturers use (based on silica and sunflower oil too). And you can choose Hakkas with removable studs too.

#32 ·
A point that no one has made yet ( I think? ) is that you do not want a wide tire like a summer tire. Snow tires work by digging, wide treads act like snow shoes keeping the tire on top of the snow.

Those that live in snow country have probably discovered this or at least have heard to go narrow.

#33 · (Edited)
I think the OP needs to be a little more specific in what he is after, and it would also be good to know if he is buying an additional set of downsized rims/tires, or if these are going on stock rims.

General statements like Blizzaks rule, etc, dont really work when you are asking about the best winter tires. You really have to specify which tire you are talking about. There is a big difference between the WS-60's and the the LM-25's.

The WS-60's are a more dedicated winter tire, while the LM-25's are more of a performance winter tire. What the LM-25's give up to the WS-60's in snow/ice traction is more than made up for by the better handling they give when the roads are not snow covered.

It really depends on what you are after.

In my case living in NY and driving in the Queens- Long Island area, we dont really get hammered by snow like upstate NY does, and the roads are snow/ice free 95% of the time. I am running Michelin Pilot Alpins. I get by just fine in the worst conditions, but still enjoy good handling when the roads are clear, ands thats exactly what I was after when I went shopping for snow tires.

I run them run them from Nov-March/April depending on how well all the potholes have been repaired before I switch over to my 19" summer only rims/tires.

#34 · (Edited)
Maybe I got this wrong......

You are running an all season tire in the winter but calling them snows, and then switch to summer's?

#35 ·
I looked at the Alpine and it has about 3 or 4 times the number of sipes. Its all sipes, couldn't get anymore on the tire is what it looks like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.