BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1200 mile service for m240

4K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  marcozandrini 
#1 ·
Does 2018 M240i require 1200 mile "break-in" service, or just first service at 10000 miles?

#2 ·
First service at 10k.

#4 ·
Does not require 1200 mile break in service like M cars. I have an M235i Convertible and the owners manual does not state a service is required at 1200 miles.

#5 ·
I have a 2018 230i and am planning on doing it myself. When a car is new, all of the mating parts wear in to their final state early in life. This happens regardless of whether it's an M car or not. Getting rid of this metal in the engine, transmission and differential with fluid changes can only improve the longevity of the components. When I purchased my 2002 back in 1976, guess what? There was a 1200 mile fluid change. Unless you are tracking your M car in the first 1000 miles, which of course is a bad idea, the loads on the moving components is really no higher than on any other car.

My intention is to keep this car for a long time. That is why I will change the fluids. If you have a 3 year lease or are going to sell it in less than a 100,000 miles, then you will be fine waiting for the 10,000 mile dealer change.

#14 ·
This happens regardless of whether it's an M car or not. Getting rid of this metal in the engine, transmission and differential with fluid changes can only improve the longevity of the components. When I purchased my 2002 back in 1976, guess what? There was a 1200 mile fluid change.
There have been some changes in oil/engineering/manufacturing technology since the 70s! (I have a '74 2002tii) While I know we don't believe BMW when it comes to their "lifetime" transmission fluid, few "modern" cars require break-in oil changes. Some owners continue to change their synthetic oil at 3-5k as they feel it's good for the engine - if you can afford it, go crazy.

From BMW:
https://www.bmw.com/en/automotive-life/break-in-a-new-car.html

While many engine break-in tips also apply to modern engines, one compulsory rule for new cars has disappeared, as it's no longer necessary to change the engine oil after the first 1,000 miles. You should, however, also keep these break-in practices in mind when replacing individual components later on.

#6 ·
I changed the oil and filter in my 2018 M240i at 1200 miles. Had Blackstone Labs analyze the old oil. The old oil, which is a 0W20, showed that the engine’s metal parts are in the process of “getting used to each other.” I put 6.5 liters of LiquMoly 5W30 in the engine. The swap of the oil filter required a low profile 3/8” drive 32mm 6 point socket and a swivel. Bought it on amazon. Make sure you buy a 6 point socket and NOT a 12 point socket as the latter will mangle the plastic filter cover.

Btw, F22s headed for the USA get 0W20 oil. Why? CAFE-corporate average fuel efficiency. All others get 0W30.

#8 ·
Just got an email a couple months after purchase that first service will be due soon (2020 M240i).
Only have about 500 or 600 miles on so far so it might be a little while yet.
Will have them fix the convertible top which doesn't open (it worked on the test drive, but not after
we got it home, and the cargo partition IS in the correct position) along with whatever else they do
at the first service.

#10 ·
I just got a 2020 m240 a few weeks ago. told me 600 miles for service. that shows up on the

startup info as well.
Hmmm, I'd do as the dealer recommends. 600 miles seems to me to be too few miles before an oil change. Did you order the car or did you buy it off the lot? The car May have been sitting for a while and the oil is going to "time out" by the time you put 600 miles on the car.

#20 ·
I've been to the BMW factory in Munich. The engines aren't started until they are in the cars. The reason why BMW no longer requires a 1200 mile oil change is that the company has engine production down to a science. Production tolerances are extremely tight whether a part is made in house or is made by a supplier such Mahle, the company that makes the pistons. Also, engines are assembled in an ultra-clean facility, partially by robots. Yes, some microscopic metal does wear off but they are captured by the filter. Btw, the Munich factory is also extremely clean. I rubbed various horizontal surfaces with my fingers, looking for dust. I found zero dust. The whole assembly line is spotless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.