BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Track Day -- Real-World Consequences?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  marcozandrini 
#1 ·
There's an upcoming Track Day not far from me. That's a bucket list item I've been eager to do. What are the thoughts of those who've done them, in terms of real-world consequences? For example, "Loved it, thought it was great, but burned through a set of tires and brakes ... wasn't worth it."

Crashes aside, what should I consider to make sure I'm not romanticizing this opportunity?

Thanks!

#2 ·
There's an upcoming Track Day not far from me. That's a bucket list item I've been eager to do. What are the thoughts of those who've done them, in terms of real-world consequences? For example, "Loved it, thought it was great, but burned through a set of tires and brakes ... wasn't worth it."

Crashes aside, what should I consider to make sure I'm not romanticizing this opportunity?

Thanks!
Recommend going to BMW's Performance Driving School and burn up their tires. Their classes are excellent and conducted by former and current race car drivers. Money well spent and anxiety of damaging your own ride removed.

#3 ·
I assume (I know, me bad) you’re writing about a BMWCCA HPDE. I’ve done 3 with my 2018 M240i. It’s a blast.

Track time: you’ll have an experienced instructor in the right seat pointing out the proper line for each turn, how to signal to allow the car behind you to pass, etc. Yes, your tires will take a beating. I ended up replacing both front tires (Michelin PSS) after the second track weekend. Yes, your car will guzzle gas (mine gets 4mpg in the track!). Yes, the suspension will be stretched to the limit and beyond (that’s why they have runoff areas at each turn). Yes, you’ll be exhausted (mentally and physically) at the end of the weekend.

But you’ll have the time if your life. You’ll be with other bimmerheads, you’ll see a very wide array of cars from a track ready 2002 to a Ferrari (members can bring any car to the track). You’ll gain a lot of knowledge about your car’s capabilities and about you ability to motor around the track. And, you’ll make new friends! Go for it.

#5 · (Edited)
Have tracked my M240 several times and it was a blast. Yes, tires take a beating. If I were to do it more often I'd definitely adjust wheel camber (add negative). This would help some with tire wear and handling.

If first time on track, be aware of completely different handling, Nannies on/off.
Both are fun, proceed with caution with them off.
When driven hard, the stability/traction control will work your rear brakes really hard due to the open dif. unless you opted for the LSD.

#6 ·
First, are you a member of the BMW Car Club of America? If not join and participate in your local chapter’s high performance driving education (HPDE) events. I belong to 2 chapters (National Capital and Tarheel (NC)). That way I can go to events at Summit Point (WV) and Virginia International Raceway (VIR) in Danville, VA, with the Tarheel chapter.

Costs have been outlined above. Obviously you’ll need a helmet that has the Snell Foundation 2010 or 2015 certification. I think the club is going to the 2015 cert exclusively so buy a helmet with that cert. I bought a Bell helmet for $180.

Before every event you’ll need to change the brake fluid. Factory fluid is fine but I use Motul RBF600. The car will have to be inspected by a mechanic to make sure it’s safe to drive on the track. You’ll want fresh oil for the first event. You can run 2 events before you need to change the oil and filter. I’m running LiquiMoly 5W30 right now but will switch to Redline 5W40 before the first 2020 event.

Brake pads are a personal choice. Factory pads will likely last a few laps before they overheat. Note that track sessions are usually 20 minutes. That usually means 6 or 7 laps, depending on the driver, the car and the track. My M240i came with Brembo brakes and pads. They lasted 3 laps at VIR. I switched to Performance Friction 08 pads. Absolutely no fade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.