BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Any tire recommendations for my 2 series?

4K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  imtjm 
#1 ·
After 25,000 miles my RF Pirellis on my 228 RWD are almost out of life. Not sure how I feel about the lifespan, but at least they wore down equally without rotations.

I am thinking of switching to non-runflats as I don't mind carrying an inflator in the trunk or towing if need be.

These are my choices from costco including installation and hazard warranty:

Bridgestone - POTENZA RE980AS UHP $572 50000 mileage
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ UHP $627 45000 mileage
Bridgestone - TURANZA QUIETTRACK GT $750 80000 mileage
Michelin Primacy MXM4 GT Runflat $691 30000 mileage

I think I am leaning towards the Quietracks, as I suspect even though I am probably well above average in speeding through turns and acceleration- I am unlikely to notice the benefits of a UHP tire without tracking it.

The upfront cost of the GT quiet tracks will be higher, but the tread life will be much better and the ride may be more comfortable/quiet/fuel efficient.

Any thoughts or recommendations? This is what costco has available for me, but am open to outside costco if it really is worth it.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Costco might give you some crap and refuse to put non-RFT's on a car without a spare tire. I lot of people have had that happen. DC is cold enough that summer tires would be a problem there.

Frau Putzer has some "Green" Michelin Primacy MXM4's on her V6 Honda Accord. Big chunks of rubber started tearing off the tread blocks during the third 8k-mile rotation stint on the front axle. That's cured me of green tires.

#7 ·
My Costco guy said the only way they would do nonRFT's for a car that comes with RFT's as oem is the owner must carry an inflator kit. I suppose if it's a fairly slower leak from a nail puncture (with nail still embedded) would be to pump it to higher psi and drive to a tire shop to repair the puncture. If it's a catastrophic slash or blowout, I'd just have it flat bedded to a tire shop.

#4 ·
I put Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires on my M235 after the Pirellis wore out. Decent tires, good performance, reasonable wear. I also carried a spare, but YMMV.

#6 ·
Go to www.tirerack.com and see what fits. Then read the comments. I live in the DC area and have non-runflats on my car. It doesn't have a spare. If you are concerned about being stranded check the Michelin website about free towing. I run Michelin Pilot Super Sports and Michelin will pay for towing up to 150 miles if I damage a tire. I also carry a puncture repair kit that includes a rasp to clean out the hole and plugs with rubber glue. The car came with a decent air pump and a bottle of crap that you pump into the tire to seal it. I won't use that crap.

#9 ·
I'm in Southern California, however, when I got my 2016 m235i from the dealer, it had Michelin Pilot Super Sport that were not run flats on it. Since I hate run flats --- too hard --- I was happy to sign that I was accepting the car without run-flats. Anyhow, the tires performed well, but the fronts got very poor wear. Since none of the tires were going to make lease end, I replaced them all at 18k with Continental ExtremeContact. Also normal, not run flat.

In my view, the traction on the Continentals was even better. But now that it is raining some, there is very noticeable rear wheel spin when the roads are wet, but rain is not falling and I punch from a standing stop or accelerate very quickly to pass someone on a freeway. Probably due to the oil in the roads coming up, but I don't remember any such issue with the Michelins. The Continentals now have about 8k miles on them, very little wear on either the front or back tires.

#10 ·
I'll second the Michelin AS3. Great tire. I think you'd be fine with them year round in DC. I have a '14 228i M Sport pack 6sp here in NC. I've got about 20k on the Bridgestone Potenza runflats (staggered) and have been really happy with them. I plan on getting another set though pricey. But for your 228 I'd think the AS3 (and a AAA membership) would be ideal for your use. Had AS3 on a couple previous cars including a 128i and was really impressed.

#11 ·
I run a 2018 M240i with Michel PSS and no spare. However, Michelin will pay to tow your Michelin PSS equipped car up to 150 miles to get the tire fixed or replaced. CAVEAT: the tires can not be the tires that were on the car when it was delivered!! Why? Who knows.

The phone #: (800) 553-4327. Have the DOT number ready. Here’s an example: 6U00YX3018.

#14 ·
I run a 2018 M240i with Michel PSS and no spare. However, Michelin will pay to tow your Michelin PSS equipped car up to 150 miles to get the tire fixed or replaced. CAVEAT: the tires can not be the tires that were on the car when it was delivered!! Why? Who knows.

The phone #: (800) 553-4327. Have the DOT number ready. Here***8217;s an example: 6U00YX3018.
cause it only applies to aftermarket "replacement" sales, not new car sales starting with model year 2018. It also isn't just for PSS...the Michelin Promise Plan is a roadside assitance for 3 years on any "replacement" (e.g. aftermarket not new car OE) Michelin passenger or light truck tires. https://www.michelinman.com/warranty.html. Caveat is that it does NOT pay to fix or replace, just to free towing up to 150miles along with including:
Flat Tire Changeout
Fluid delivery (gas, water, etc.)*you pay materials
Lockout service
Battery jump start

With that said, you need to slap some PS4S on that car of yours...so much better than the PSS for that M240i

#12 ·
I just swapped out the OEM potenza runflats on my 228i M sport for the michelin AS3. The potenza's were "fine"..installed by the dealer at 22k when I bought the car CPO. I'm just about to turn 40k and realized in the last week or so the potenza's were toast. The AS3 is a great fit for this car. About $1k out the door at Discount Tire. Runflats would have been a couple hundred more...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.