BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Build length for 2020

24K views 319 replies 13 participants last post by  Genod 
#1 ·
Yesterday I called the 800 number and when prompted added my production number for my 230i convertible and found that it was in production with an end production date of 6/20/19. Does anyone know how long a build takes from start to finish? 20 days seems long.
Also my USA delivery port is NYC. Does anyone know how long it takes from end of production to delivery at my Just north of Syracuse NY dealer ?

#113 ·
I'm waiting for an M2 Competition on the Cougar and I can't see how it will make Baltimore on the 14th (today) unless they pick up some speed in the Bay. I am thinking early 15th arrival is more likely. None of the ship tracking websites agree on an ETA.

Not sure why, but the Cougar sat off the US coast for almost two days. Maybe they made it across the Atlantic earlier than planned and needed to kill time. It's a pity as they could have made it to Baltimore 7/13 if they wanted to.

#114 ·
It has to do with scheduling and dock availability. Also, there are drivers to unload the carriers and they were most likely on another job. I've seen my carrier sit at the entrance to the Panama Canal for a couple of days before it started moving through the canal.

Best wishes guys, the journey is almost done! Definitely need to see some pictures of your cars.

#117 ·
An interesting thing I’ve done once the marine tracking shows where the RoRo carrier is berthed, I’ve used Goggle Earth and zoomed in to the specific pier site. It gives a good visualization of the pier and its surrounding area.

#120 ·
Skier219 My guess water skiing in VA? it's interesting that you are on this ride with us. It was forever to get my car on a ship but now it is teasing me with how slow it can get to port. So close but it blew past the docking time and the marine tracker is like 2-3 hours behind. so much for satellite tracking accuracy.I am beginning to think that the car will be at the dealership before I get word that the ship is finally moored!

#122 ·
It's interesting how the three tracking sites I'm watching all have different data -- one is 3 hours behind, one is current, one shows ship out of range. And that flips often. There is only one true data source (AIS) so I suspect the differences are in each site's software and maybe how they handle glitches.

#126 ·
Anddown if you go to the Marine tracking global assistance site and find the ship you are looking for, go to the right side and click on the thing that looks like a folding map and one of the drop downs is a satellite map and it will look like the google map you speak of.

#129 · (Edited)
So looks like the Cougar got into Baltimore around 5AM eastern time. They are moored on the opposite side of the Patapsco River from where I thought the BMW VPC was, so it will be interesting to see if they move the boat across the river to unload in a different spot. Either that or the cars will get a trip through the 95 or 895 tunnels! Driving 95/895 through Baltimore is more hardcore than anything I will ever do to the car.

#132 ·
The last couple of my BMWs that came over on the boat had 3-4 miles on the clock, which seemed lower than I'd expect considering all the rolling around they do at ports, etc. My X3 ordered from South Carolina had just 2 miles on it. A 4-series coupe I bought off the lot had 16 miles but that probably included a test drive.

#134 ·
It all depends on whether the cars have to be driven to the VDC as in Oxnard which is about maybe 2-3 miles from the port. Most of my cars have about 7-11 miles on them at delivery, partly also because the dealerships fill up the gas tanks, depending on distance to a gas station. I really don’t think the techs have the time to test drive the cars prior to delivery, but it’s possible the runner boys may do a detour on their way back from the gas station, lol! The car could conceivably put in an extra mile just getting loaded onto the carrier if it has to go from the loading ramp up to the top level.

#136 ·
On the track my vehicle page, the one with the dots,I now have gone backward to" at the port" with in transit the next dot. I am guessing it means the NJ port where I see it docked, and in transit will mean on a carrier to the dealership. Was a little surprised to see this but it does make sense. Now I will know when it is on a carrier out of the port.

#138 ·
I think that also would indicate it has cleared customs. Woohoo. I see a Friday delivery in your future.

They did move the Cougar across the river to the BMW VPC at about 7:30pm eastern time, so it looks like no BMWs were unloaded today in Baltimore. I don't know if they have a 2nd shift / night shift to unload, or maybe they will unload tomorrow.
Nice catch. Interesting.

#140 ·
Yep, I just changed to "in port" too and got a text from my sales guy with same info. He seems to think the car will arrive at the dealership in the next few days, but I'd be surprised if it got here that soon. We're only a couple hours from Baltimore by truck but a lot would have to happen fast with VPC and shipper to get here that soon.

#141 ·
Got a shot of the Cougar's maneuver last night -- they actually consider it changing from the Port of Baltimore (on left) to the Port of Dundalk (on right).

This is the first time I picked up on that -- I suspect in the past my ships stopped at Dundalk first to drop off BMWs, and then I stopped paying attention. Probably depends on the order in which cars were loaded. In this case, M-B or other brands must have had cars in front.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.