BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Features

9K views 116 replies 9 participants last post by  indufan 
#1 ·
Let's separate this from the other thread.

Let's be clear, I do not have the nav and that seems to be a factor in features way outside of navigation.

I know they rather play with Apple but I think there is a way to get my texts on the screen but have no clue how to go about it. I have connected both with bluetooth and USB. How do I do it or not possible?

I have a dozen other feature questions but one at a time for now.

#45 ·
Nice catch. I see it now.

seems to me Android works with BMW, so not sure how BMW is giving anyone the middle finger. FYI, apple carplay isn't necessarily smoothly integrated either.

3rd party vendor options: voids what warranties? First of all, it would only void a BMW part warranty if the after market part caused the BMW part to fail. You can easily add-on Android Auto module which doesn't alter anything on your BMW (e.g. no wire splicing, nothing...just plug and play). Second, if you do a mirroring app, that won't void anything because it doesn't alter any hardware.
Well, like my friend got in the car yesterday with her iPhone and her Amazon Music app picked up right away and mine come up at all? And from what I have read there is app after app after app just like that.

I am pretty sure any of the mirroring app stuff won't work with my head unit.

#51 ·
This was a "discussion" about Connected Drive. How am I supposed to know if they don't know what they are selling.
dealer said:
With your car BMW Connected services will included BMW Assist System (& its capabilities). You should also have access to BMW Connected Store & BMW messages. If you can see those items in your menu your car is working properly. Sorry for the delay...very frustrating on our end to narrow the differences between models and years. BMW provided information has not been very helpful.

#53 ·
Front ventilation

Lever for changing the air flow direction, arrow 1.
Thumbwheels for opening and closing the vents continuously, arrows 2.
Thumbwheel to vary the ventilation temperature in the upper body region, arrow 3.Toward blue: colder.Toward red: warmer.This does not change the set interior temperature for the driver and front passenger.
I found this in the owners manual in my garage under climate control. There are pictographs .

the bottom thumbwheel is the answer.

#55 ·
I just leave the auto temperature set at 69 degrees and then modulate the upper air vents temperature as needed to blow cooler or warmer air towards my face/upper body by rotating that blue/red wheel. The ambient cabin temperature stays at a comfortable 69 degrees and I adjust the air temperature towards my face as needed. I didn’t see this feature in the new X3 loaner I had recently and it would be a shame if BMW did away with this feature.

#57 ·
Thanks. I didn't know that but have been using the up and down scrollbar on the steering wheel.

BMW Genius says that the voice recognition on my car will do nothing with the iDrive. Waiting for confirmation this is due to no navigation.

I previously used Amazon music. It is not an "app" for Android. So, I just took one for the team and got Spotify. Well, the best I can say is that it kind of works. Certainly, there are more abilities than playing Amazon via direct Bluetooth audio. However, it haphazardly shows up and the playlists routinely come and go. I got Pandora this morning and have only tried it once but it wouldn't even show up at all. Apparently, IHeartRadio is the last of the supported apps for Android and I haven't tried it yet.

My next outstanding question to BMW is what are the different features of Bluetooth vs. USB wired? Anyone here know that answer?

#59 ·
Confirmed, no navigation again.

As to the wired vs. Bluetooth. Probably got the first bad information from them on this. They said that you can't make calls while wired....and that is definitely not true. The phone appears twice in Idrive. Other than that, they say there are no differences. Although I know I have read there are....but maybe no differences on MY car.

#60 · (Edited)
I have all of my songs loaded onto an older iPod and have that plugged into the USB outlet in the armrest. The artists, songs, albums, playlists all show up in iDrive in the audio tile. Even with the iPod playing, I***8217;m still able to make and receive phone calls via BlueTooth as well as send a text message, this is with the phone in sleep mode. I can have the phone read me the latest text message but the phone has to not be in sleep mode. I***8217;m still playing around with what I can do via voice commands to my phone ( I don***8217;t have Nav or CarPlay).

#61 · (Edited)
Found that the two air distribution buttons on the center dash are not equal. Pressing the drivers side button gets three levels with the top level for windows while the passenger side button only has two levels no windows (top level) even though the right button shows three levels the top level remains grayed out and will not light so the driver is the only one that is able to control the air distribution to the windows. Wierd way those Germans have.

#62 ·
I cannot get the connected drive app to work on my iphone. App says hello but then no enabled stuff shows up - mileage, fuel etc. I called the assist number and I guess the 2020 models are too new and they can't figure out the idrive with no nav. The connected drive screen is just for show .. and weather I guess. anyway I deleted the app and reloaded it and still no info.

#64 · (Edited)
It's taken me awhile but I finally figured out why the lane keeping icon on the dash screen would be in green most of the time and sometimes appear in red. If there are no or very faint fog/guide lines (the white lines on the right hand side of the road) then the camera can't read them and thus the icon is in red. Another feature not explained in the owners manual.

#65 ·
It's taken me awhile but I finally figured out why the lane keeping icon on the dash screen would be in green most of the time and sometimes appear in red. If there are no or very faint fog/guide lines (the white lines on the right hand side of the road) then the camera can't red them and thus the icon is in red. Another feature not explained in the owners manual.
That's probably true, but what I've found it's also speed related. If I'm going less than 35-40 mph, the icon turns red but as soon as I go above that, it turns green. I too looked for this in the manual but finally figured it out.

#68 ·
Yup, only vibrates when the green icon is showing. I don't mind the vibration alert, but my daughter didn't like it at all when she test-drove the car. Thankfully, it can be turned off if so inclined.

#67 · (Edited)
After getting into the car and closing the door I have had difficulty finding the memory seat adjustment in particular the number 1 button that I have set up previously. When I get out of the car I adjust the seat all the way back to make it easier to get in and out. I wish the BMW had an easy in and out automatic setting in the idrive but no such luck. I have now stuck on a cabinet rubber bumper on the number one seat button so it sticks up and I can feel it find it and adjust the seat after I get in. Very hard to see other wise and I was hitting the set button too often which then means I am too far away because I have moved the seat back when I get out. The memory setting switch should be on the door in eye view so one wouldn't have this problem. Most people probably don't have to adjust the seat when they get out so they wouldn't have this problem. I also wish that the steering wheel was flat bottomed.
Another thing is that I have to put the windows down and move the seat all the way forward to get to the backseat to clean the back window!

#73 ·
After I locked the car in the garage with the top down went back to put something over the side and into the back seat without opening or unlocking the door and the alarm went off. I guess we have a motion detector even if the key was in my pocket. I wonder if the car was outside with the top down and a leaf or bird or something landed inside the locked car if it would set off the alarm? Any way it startled me at first but a nice feature to have.

#74 ·
I have set mine off a few times as you describe. A friend set mine off when I wasn't immediately around and he was a little embarrassed to track me down. I have sat a few things in that was without an alarm but if you really bend over into it the alarm will sound. I don't think a leaf will do it but I bet I find out in the next couple of months.

#75 ·
I think this has been a BMW security features from, at least, 2002 or even farther back. My 2002 325ci's alarm would sound if someone reaches into an open car window to say take anything (like a purse or laptop) left on the seat. Yay, BMW!

#77 ·
12 volt outlet

Could, one of you check your 2020 to see if you have a 12-volt outlet under the glove compartment on the left side? I have a hole there but no charging outlet, not that I really need it. My F36 GC has an outlet there, not sure why my 2019 F22 doesn't or it wasn't installed in mine. Thanks for checking.

Attachments

#79 ·
Thanks Genod, it's not that I would use it, but just was curious if it had inadvertently not been added. As I mentioned earlier, our 428iGC does have a 12 volt outlet there; it's possible that it is an option in some other country for the 230i, typical of BMW to do that. BTW, are you aware of the charging outlet in the trunk? Don't think I'd ever use that one either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.