How Good is the A/C? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 G05 (2018 - Current)

X5 G05 (2018 - Current)
G05 BMW X5 produced between 2018 to Current. Discuss the G05 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-24-2020, 09:42 AM
SuzyQ SuzyQ is offline
Registered User
Location: Tomball, TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 540i
How Good is the A/C?

I am two months away from the end of my lease for my 2017 540i. It's been a great car with one exception. The air conditioning is the weakest of any car that I have ever driven in my entire life (three consecutive Lexus models prior). I'm in SE Texas and it is miserable unless you have it on max A/C and then it's just incredibly loud.

I am now looking at the 2020 X5. Are there any complaints with the A/C in this model?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-24-2020, 09:58 AM
Doug Huffman's Avatar
Doug Huffman Doug Huffman is offline
Nuclear engineer
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15,523
Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I am two months away from the end of my lease for my 2017 540i. It's been a great car with one exception. The air conditioning is the weakest of any car that I have ever driven in my entire life (three consecutive Lexus models prior). I'm in SE Texas and it is miserable unless you have it on max A/C and then it's just incredibly loud.

I am now looking at the 2020 X5. Are there any complaints with the A/C in this model?
The performance test is the same as for your 2017 540i. I'll post them both for you, gimme a minute or two ...

newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW G30 540i Sedan / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 64 Heating and air conditioning / 64 50 Air conditioning, check / 64 50 ... A/C performance test


https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...check/GbGkqA9N

newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW G05 X5 xDrive50i SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 64 Heating and air conditioning / 64 50 Air conditioning, check / 64 50 ... A/C performance test


https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...check/GbGkqA9N
__________________
Scepticism and Animal Faith (1923)
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 05-24-2020 at 10:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-24-2020, 10:28 AM
SuzyQ SuzyQ is offline
Registered User
Location: Tomball, TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 540i
Ugh. Thanks... I think?

I know on the G30 forums back when I purchased my car, people were speculating that the inefficiency of the A/C was due to the slant of the windshield, and people were tinting them (I could have the details a bit skewed on that - it's been a while).

It's a serious deal-breaker for me. I guess I'll ask if I can hold on to an X5 for a few hours and test it out in our heat.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
The performance test is the same as for your 2017 540i. I'll post them both for you, gimme a minute or two ...

newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW G30 540i Sedan / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 64 Heating and air conditioning / 64 50 Air conditioning, check / 64 50 ... A/C performance test


https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...check/GbGkqA9N

newTIS.infobeta
Home / BMW G05 X5 xDrive50i SAV / Repair Manuals and Technical Data / 64 Heating and air conditioning / 64 50 Air conditioning, check / 64 50 ... A/C performance test


https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...check/GbGkqA9N
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 05-24-2020, 10:41 AM
Doug Huffman's Avatar
Doug Huffman Doug Huffman is offline
Nuclear engineer
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15,523
Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
Ugh. Thanks... I think?

It's a serious deal-breaker for me. I guess I'll ask if I can hold on to an X5 for a few hours and test it out in our heat.
You will probably be happier with something other than a BMW, perhaps a Suburban or a navigator.

The BMW IHKA HVAC is not inefficient but it is sophisticated beyond American experience.

Mine works fine including my trips to the South, to South Carolina, and Florida, and Texas, and the desert Southwest. The HVAC controls are occasionally momentarily changed as when we get off the ferry after a half-hour with the engine off and the windshield is fogged on the inside and frozen spray on the outside, but back to AUTO and default settings within five minutes.
__________________
Scepticism and Animal Faith (1923)
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-2020, 11:17 AM
SuzyQ SuzyQ is offline
Registered User
Location: Tomball, TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 540i
It's something that I think was a G30 issue from what I recall, not an overall BMW issue. I have a friend who had a 2015 X5 and I never noticed anything odd about the AC in it and I was in it quite often for work. I just wanted to make sure that whatever they changed in the 2017 540i wasn't carried over into the X5's as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
You will probably be happier with something other than a BMW, perhaps a Suburban or a navigator.

The BMW IHKA HVAC is not inefficient but it is sophisticated beyond American experience.

Mine works fine including my trips to the South, to South Carolina, and Florida, and Texas, and the desert Southwest. The HVAC controls are occasionally momentarily changed as when we get off the ferry after a half-hour with the engine off and the windshield is fogged on the inside and frozen spray on the outside, but back to AUTO and default settings within five minutes.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-2020, 11:37 AM
Doug Huffman's Avatar
Doug Huffman Doug Huffman is offline
Nuclear engineer
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15,523
Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Thanks for the suggestion to read up on G30 / G12 IHKA.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 09_G12%20Climate%20Control.pdf (921.7 KB, 11 views)
__________________
Scepticism and Animal Faith (1923)
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-24-2020, 11:59 AM
SuzyQ SuzyQ is offline
Registered User
Location: Tomball, TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 540i
I just spoke to a friend who has a 2019 X5 and she told me she has the same complaint about the AC. I guess I either live with it or move on to something else.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Thanks for the suggestion to read up on G30 / G12 IHKA.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-24-2020, 12:31 PM
Doug Huffman's Avatar
Doug Huffman Doug Huffman is offline
Nuclear engineer
Location: Washington Island, Wisconsin, thru Death's Door
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 15,523
Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I just spoke to a friend who has a 2019 X5 and she told me she has the same complaint about the AC. I guess I either live with it or move on to something else.
As I said, I believe that you will be happier with something else. Best wishes.
__________________
Scepticism and Animal Faith (1923)
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-24-2020, 03:33 PM
TheTurtleBoy TheTurtleBoy is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 331
Mein Auto: 2019 X5 40i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I just spoke to a friend who has a 2019 X5 and she told me she has the same complaint about the AC. I guess I either live with it or move on to something else.

It sounds like she does not have her AC adjusted correctly. The AC is very strong/cold, actually the coldest I, and many others, have ever experienced. More than likely she does not have the upper air flow adjusted to be cold (given that she actually has the AC turned on although I have spoken with people who have not). Many folks do not realize that this needs to be done on order for the coldest air to blow from the upper vents.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 4.32.37 PM.png
Views:	69
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	893767  
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-24-2020, 06:42 PM
jadnashuanh jadnashuanh is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,114
Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
Even in auto, the fan control is more of an aggressiveness control than directly adjusting the fan. Try moving it higher in increments after you've made sure the upper vent temperature control is right for you.
__________________
Jim DeBruycker
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-24-2020, 07:01 PM
TheTurtleBoy TheTurtleBoy is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 331
Mein Auto: 2019 X5 40i
In addition you can also hit the Max AC button, that will put frost on your nose in no time.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-25-2020, 06:37 PM
SuzyQ SuzyQ is offline
Registered User
Location: Tomball, TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 540i
I test drove a 2020 today and the AC was way better than my G30, so much so, that we pulled the trigger. Out with the 2017 graphite gray 540i and in with the 2020 graphite gray X5 40i.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-25-2020, 07:00 PM
TheTurtleBoy TheTurtleBoy is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 331
Mein Auto: 2019 X5 40i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I test drove a 2020 today and the AC was way better than my G30, so much so, that we pulled the trigger. Out with the 2017 graphite gray 540i and in with the 2020 graphite gray X5 40i.
Congratulations. Good luck, enjoy and be safe.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-28-2020, 12:23 PM
Sonny184 Sonny184 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Missouri
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 216
Mein Auto: 2020 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I test drove a 2020 today and the AC was way better than my G30, so much so, that we pulled the trigger. Out with the 2017 graphite gray 540i and in with the 2020 graphite gray X5 40i.
I fought the the A/C in my 2017 540i for three years. There is day & night difference with the A/C in the 2020 X5. No matter what the data says, the user experience is very much improved.
__________________
2020 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue II
2020 X5 40i Mineral White
2017 540i Bluestone (retired)
2018 X3 M40i Glacier Silver Metallic (retired)
2016 X3 Black Sapphire Metallic (retired)
2014 535i (Mineral White) retired
2014 X3 (retired)
2011 535i (retired)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-28-2020, 02:09 PM
Stans Stans is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Posts: 11
Mein Auto:
Ac

The problem is with the tubing layout. The left most vent does not get enough air flow even with the fan on high. Other people are correct in that you need to use the AC menu to set the air flow at max. This will be noisy for a while but if you use the recirculating function you can lower the blower to half way and the car will remain cold. I live in Florida and found this method works
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-02-2020, 02:40 PM
SuzyQ SuzyQ is offline
Registered User
Location: Tomball, TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 2017 BMW 540i
I've had my X5 a week today and you're right - night and day difference. I find myself having to turn the temp up in the X5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny184 View Post
I fought the the A/C in my 2017 540i for three years. There is day & night difference with the A/C in the 2020 X5. No matter what the data says, the user experience is very much improved.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 G05 (2018 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.