BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Starting issues

965 views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  farmer3310 
#1 ·
2010 535i xdrive was in the garage with battery charger/maintainer for about 2 months, not used. It worked fine twice and third time, it hesitated to start, but started okay. In a parking lot, it started, but was something short and weird. Then next day, it did not start at all. All the lights are on the dash. No crank. I checked each fuse; all fine. I changed blue and brown (in the engine compartment) and black (in the in the back) relays. Now I get some types of errors on the dash 4X$ malfunction, sos, and wiper malfunction (wiper blades are on). I tried to read codes, but nothing there. Still no crank. But I noticed that turn signals does not work, it does not turn on/off brights, steering wheel does not move up or down, wiper switch does not work (seem there is no power coming to steering wheel). On the side fog light and light switch work. I thought there might be a loose wire or something around steering wheel (since it moves up when it is turned off), but wires seem fine in the steering wheel. I thought it might be a starter and I changed the starter and put a new one. While I was there I also put new spark plugs. Still nothing. No crank. What would be preventing all the switches work on the steering wheel. What should I check next? What do you guys think it is the problem?

#7 ·
Thanks. I will have the battery tested tomorrow. I thought a new starter will fix it as the car has 115K, which would be a good thing to change, but did not make any difference and it did not start either. So weird that none of the switches works on the steering wheel (not even steering wheel heater).

#11 ·
So, so many problems have been the result of a bad battery. But, let's assume that yours is good. You can find wiring diagrams in the Bently manual, or on newtis.info. A few of the items that you listed seem to be traced back to switches in the steering column. Do they share the same fuse? The same wiring?

#12 ·
Thanks for the link. So much information there. Switches to steering column are working fine now. If it were one of the sensors or a fuel pump issue, I should have an error code, right? I checked with inpa and still no error codes. Very frustrating. Unless it is towed, I can't take it to a mechanic.

#13 ·
Wow. It is after 1am and I got the car started. The problem was a ground wire, which connects the engine block (passenger side to the tire wall). It is hard to see and detect. It was rusty and broken. It was inside a woven cloth so it looks like it is holding, but no connection. Who would have thought? I don't even know the name of it to order a new one. I just use a wire to connect two ends and the car started right away. Thank you guys for your help; wcr3d and tstiglitch.

#14 ·
I replaced that part on my 2006 530xi a year ago...part number was 12427798076. I think your car uses the same part, but please check. I was able to change it by removing the passenger side wheel and plastic panels in the wheel well. You can get to the cable that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.