bmw e63/e64 headlight - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW M6 07
bmw e63/e64 headlight

Hello forum!

I recently had issue with the my led rings and replaced them myself after the shop quoted me around 5k per light. Using power supplies from my bro i manged to change them and get them to work . However upon placing everything back i figured out I think I am missing a connector?

Seems that the angel eye and led ring both use the same type but I can only find one in the housing. Any clues on where i am fumbling?

Kind regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-07-06 at 2.55.09 PM.png
Views:	40
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	899421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-07-06 at 2.55.00 PM.png
Views:	40
Size:	485.4 KB
ID:	899423  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2020, 06:11 PM
Living the dream.

Mein Auto: 2004 645 convertible
What exactly is your question? Did you replace the angel eyes with new LED angel eyes so they would be brighter?

The halo uses a smaller connector that will only fit with that blub. Find your old blub and use that for power. HOWEVER! Be advised, you will still have to have the headlight switch on to use them. I don't think you can put a separate switch to the stock setup to turn them on and off independent of the headlight switch.

There is another connector there for the DRL's. That has constant power. You can run the halos off of them. You will probably have to code the DRL's with NCS expert or Carly to achieve what you want.

Also, did you change the headlight lenses? If your current lenses are crappy the halos and headlights won't look that bright. I just changed my lenses and I can now see my stock halos with bright white LEDs clearly during the day now.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2020, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
The only way you will figure this out is to find somebody that opened up one, & remembered what they look like. There are no published wiring diagrams for the internals on the headlights, & there are no replacement parts sold. You may run into more problems if you changed the resistance on the LED, as BMW uses very tight guidelines. If you have the old parts removed, you can measure them to see how close you are? You might have to add or subtract the resistance to make the lights to work. You don't say what year model car you have, so post that on your profile with the correct year model. The headlight are running around 1750.00 each new, without any of the modules. Somebody was really trying to make a profit on your lights. Used lights go anywhere from 750 to 1200.00 each, usually including the modules.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2020, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: BMW M6 07
follow up

I left the headlight and all the wires inside the assembly untouched with the exception of the halo LED rings (pictured). A handful of the LED's went out on all the old halo LED rings, so I bought new ones to replace them. All I did was disconnect the old halo LED rings from assembly and replaced them with the new re-crimped halo LED rings with the appropriate connector. The connector was fed into the old module and thus all other wires and modules were left untouched and the entire headlight assembly was put back together.

The problem I am currently facing is I do not know how to properly connect the cables from the complete headlight assembly to the ones from the car due to one extra connector(initial pictures). It seems that the angel eye and the module that the halo led rings (from complete headlight assembly) are of the same connector type but on the car side I am only given one of those type of connectors and not two.

Since I have only one available connector I am choosing to connect either the halo led rings or the angel eye but this seems wrong. I imagined all bulbs/led would be used so does this mean I am missing a connector or do i leave the cable unconnected and feed into halo led ring?

I looked around the cars cables on both sides but cannot spot another cable to save my life. Is one missing or my idea of wiring cables wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9435.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	899529  
Old 07-07-2020, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
There are only 4 big plugs I found on an old headlight. 1 is the main connector, 2 goes to the bottom module, 3 goes to the side module if you have AHL, & the 4th 2 wire connector goes to the side of the main headlight, should be called the long life bulb. This is an internal wire that would stay in the housing, but unplug from the bulb when changing it. My color codes are different than your, but the wires should have the same function. It took me a while to remove the lense, the glue had bonded back together. Any small wires with plugs should go to the stepper motors, I think 2 per motor.

What year model car are you working on?

Last edited by HerbP; 07-07-2020 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by MendezJ View Post
I left the headlight and all the wires inside the assembly untouched with the exception of the halo LED rings (pictured). A handful of the LED's went out on all the old halo LED rings, so I bought new ones to replace them. All I did was disconnect the old halo LED rings from assembly and replaced them with the new re-crimped halo LED rings with the appropriate connector. The connector was fed into the old module and thus all other wires and modules were left untouched and the entire headlight assembly was put back together.

The problem I am currently facing is I do not know how to properly connect the cables from the complete headlight assembly to the ones from the car due to one extra connector(initial pictures). It seems that the angel eye and the module that the halo led rings (from complete headlight assembly) are of the same connector type but on the car side I am only given one of those type of connectors and not two.

Since I have only one available connector I am choosing to connect either the halo led rings or the angel eye but this seems wrong. I imagined all bulbs/led would be used so does this mean I am missing a connector or do i leave the cable unconnected and feed into halo led ring?

I looked around the cars cables on both sides but cannot spot another cable to save my life. Is one missing or my idea of wiring cables wrong?
What you have there is a modified BMW headlight. Whoever had the car before you modified the headlights. There is no LED ring on the 07 E63, E64 6 series. The factory headlight uses a fiber optic ring to form both Angel Eye Lights.

I know because I did the same thing to mine along with a friend that did his M6. Here is a link to the install thread he did on our headlight AE rebuild:
https://www.m5board.com/threads/ange.../#post-2380313 Read through it and it may help you.

I can tell you that you do not have a stock configuration and the wiring you see is not factory standard, so BMW wiring diagrams will not help you.

You may need to open the other side and follow what they did and replicate it if the other headlight is working correctly.

Good luck.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search