About to Order an X6 M - All Season Tire Situation - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X3 M, X5 M, X6 M, Z3 M & Z4 M > E70 X5 M and E71 X6 M (2010 - 2015)

E70 X5 M and E71 X6 M (2010 - 2015)
The BMW X5 M and X6 M are the first xDrive all-wheel-drive vehicles from M GmbH. The M variants offers the same utility as the regular X5 and X6, with the addition of the V8 M TwinPower Turbo, a twin-turbocharged 4.4-liter V8 delivering 560 horsepower and 500 lb·ft of torque.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: X5 3.5i
About to Order an X6 M - All Season Tire Situation

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2014 X6 M and the salesman brought up the point, I'll need a second set of tires and wheels for the winter. I thought to myself, this is the last thing I want to deal with on a lease.

I don't mind replacing the tires seasonally and then swap them when the weather changes. What I don't want is a second set of wheels and tires for a lease that I have to dispose of.

I was planning to drive the vehicle in light snow and inclement weather, but never in heavy snow. I know I won't be able to get around in any snow in the original high performance tires and I was hoping I could throw all-season tires on the same wheels. The dealer made it sound like I couldn't swap tires on the original wheels.

Does anyone have experience with their X5 M orX6 M in the snow without a second set of wheels? Do you swap tires when the weather changes like I mentioned above?

What do you do?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by ken3; 10-16-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
I use tire rack for my tires. In fact UPS just delivered my Michelin tire order to Sears today. I will have them installed on the car tomorrow.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS has had a lot of good comments on bimmerfest. Tire rack has them in stock in your size along with other tires that will fit.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=60200&tab=All

Ps. Summer performance tires should not be driven on when the temperature is below 45 degrees. The rubber compound gets very hard in cold weather and can be downright dangerous.

Last edited by Norm37; 10-16-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm37 View Post
I use tire rack for my tires. In fact UPS just delivered my Michelin tire order to Sears today. I will have them installed on the car tomorrow.

Continental Extreme Contact DWS has had a lot of good comments on bimmerfest. Tire rack has them in stock in your size along with other tires that will fit.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...=60200&tab=All
I was looking at the continental DWS too. Good to know there's positive feedback!

So what model M do you have?

Do you change tires for the season while using the same wheels like I'm hoping to do? Is there any damage done to the run-flats when there dismounted and remounted come summer time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2013, 08:25 PM

No M car, I ordered the Michelin pilot sport AS 3 for my sons 135i convertable. Michelin does not have them in your size.

Quote:
Do you change tires for the season while using the same wheels like I'm hoping to do?
He had two sets (ordered from tire rack) of tires and wheels summer and winter. Now he has decided to go with all-season tires year round.

Quote:
Is there any damage done to the run-flats when there dismounted and remounted come summer time?
Not sure. hopefully others can chime in on this. I would think a couple of time would not be to bad.

Check with your dealer and see how much tread wear they will accept on lease turn in on the original run flat tire. Then make sure you don't go below that tread wear amount.

In case you did not read my Ps. in my first reply here it is again.

Ps. Summer performance tires should not be driven on when the temperature is below 45 degrees. The rubber compound gets very hard in cold weather and can be downright dangerous.

Last edited by Norm37; 10-16-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
No M car, I ordered the Michelin pilot sport AS 3 for my sons 135i convertable. Michelin does not have them in your size.

He had two sets (ordered from tire rack) of tires and wheels summer and winter. Now he has decided to go with all-season tires year round.

Not sure. hopefully others can chime in on this. I would think a couple of time would not be to bad.

Check with your dealer and see how much tread wear they will accept on lease turn in on the original run flat tire. Then make sure you don't go below that tread wear amount.

In case you did not read my Ps. in my first reply here it is again.

Hi Norm-

It's nothing financial and more principal being a lease. The tread life I don't care about when I turn in the vehicle, worst case scenario I buy high performance run-flats six months before the lease is up.

As for the Summer tires, I'm all to familiar with how they perform at low temperatures and never take the risk on my other cars. Those tires aren't run-flats so I know I can swap them out w/o an issue. That's why I'm hoping I have the ability to swap out tires, rather than wheels and tires.

Given your circumstances with your sons tires, have you ever had an issue mounting and dismounting run-flats on the vehicle?
Old 10-18-2013, 12:02 AM
Aviator

Mein Auto: cars with studded tires
I have DWS on my X5M 9 months of the year and Pirelli Scorpion Winters when we have persistent snow and ice in Montana. The DWS are great tires and can get me around okay (but just okay) during the first fall snows.

dk

...and a bunch of old English motorcycles

Last edited by dkreidel; 10-18-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken3 View Post
Hi Norm-Given your circumstances with your sons tires, have you ever had an issue mounting and dismounting run-flats on the vehicle?
He never had to do that. He had a two sets of tires and wheels summer and winter.

I just had a thought. How about reposting your question in Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension Forum You might get more replies. Some of the Stickys might be a good read.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Last edited by Norm37; 10-18-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
He never had to do that. He had a two sets of tires and wheels summer and winter.

I just had a thought. How about reposting your question in Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension Forum You might get more replies. Some of the Stickys might be a good read.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Hi Norm-

I'm new to the forum so I thought if I posted under X6 M and X5 M, I'd get a driver with firsthand experience in the car.

I'll give that a try as well. I'm pretty pleased with the feedback I've received.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
I have DWS on my X5M 9 months of the year and Pirelli Scorpion Winters when we have persistent snow and ice in Montana. The DWS are great tires and can get me around okay (but just okay) during the first fall snows.

dk
I was thinking this combo too. How do you like the All-Seasons vs Performance in the spring and summer?
Old 10-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Aviator

I wouldn't put DWS on our 650, but on the truck you really can't tell much difference between the stock 'stone Duelers (run flats) and the DWS (conventional) except the DWS are much quieter.

I can't say enough good things about the new Pirelli Scorpion Winters - when the DWS won't get me around in the ice I swap to the 19" Winters and with the X5M's trick differential I think the truck could climb a snow laden tree.
I put the stock '13 X5M's tire and wheel set-up on our '13 X5 3.5 that lives in SoCal and am constantly reminded how harsh those tires are, even on the std X5 suspension.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:24 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 M
Quote:
I wouldn't put DWS on our 650, but on the truck you really can't tell much difference between the stock 'stone Duelers (run flats) and the DWS (conventional) except the DWS are much quieter.

I can't say enough good things about the new Pirelli Scorpion Winters - when the DWS won't get me around in the ice I swap to the 19" Winters and with the X5M's trick differential I think the truck could climb a snow laden tree.
I put the stock '13 X5M's tire and wheel set-up on our '13 X5 3.5 that lives in SoCal and am constantly reminded how harsh those tires are, even on the std X5 suspension.
Do you think that's more reflective of the std X5 suspension? Just wondering considering all of the debate about the std X5 suspension vs. those with Adaptive Drive. I had AD on my prior X5 50i and thought it was terrific with the 20" 336 rims and Dueler rft's that are same dimensions as my X5M.

Something to consider.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:

Hi Dkreidel-

I just wanted to confirm that you swap the tires out in the winter and not the wheels and tires? I was at the dealer and they insisted on the wheel and tire set. It just doesn't make sense on a lease and know you guys have been please with the winter tires and the handling. They keep saying the mounting and dismounting of the run flats isn't good for the tire and the tire places say otherwise.

Thank you for your help!
Old 10-19-2013, 03:09 PM
Aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken3 View Post
Hi Dkreidel-

I just wanted to confirm that you swap the tires out in the winter and not the wheels and tires? I was at the dealer and they insisted on the wheel and tire set. It just doesn't make sense on a lease and know you guys have been please with the winter tires and the handling. They keep saying the mounting and dismounting of the run flats isn't good for the tire and the tire places say otherwise.

Thank you for your help!
No, I have a dedicated set of 19" 298M wheels for the winter Pirelli rubber. 315 rubber is WAAY too big for reliable traction in moderately deep snow - I think the 298M's are 10x19 F&R and I use 255 tires. There are very few 19" wheels that will clear the large brakes on an X5M but Tire Rack offers a set and of course the OEM BMW 298M's. I didn't want to spend the $$ for a set of winter wheels, but the 298M can be had for ~$1,650 delivered and I simply hate screwing around with mounting and balancing twice a year. Buy once - cry once. The 298M's are in very high demand used and go for ~$1,200/set... when you can find them. I'd spend more than the $500 net cost in mounting and balancing over the lease term on my X5M.

Dick

Last edited by dkreidel; 10-19-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X6M
I have an X6M and I swap out my wheels for dedicated winter (vredestein wintrac 4 Xtreme). Dick is giving you good advice, go with a set for winter (wheels & tires). I also use the 298M. Those BMW calipers are huge you will need the correct 298M rim. Remember the X6M hub bore size if also different than the X5 so make sure you buy the correct fitment specifically for X6M/X5M. You can always sell them when you turn in the car. I think there is a set of used ones over at xbimmers forum.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
all season tires, tire, x6 m

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X3 M, X5 M, X6 M, Z3 M & Z4 M > E70 X5 M and E71 X6 M (2010 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search