How to tell if factory alarm is installed? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-30-2010, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 330CI Convertible
How to tell if factory alarm is installed?

Hi,
OK! My machine is almost DONE! I do have a question, though, I've got a 2003 330Ci convertible and the dealership where I bought it told me to go ahead and take it to the BMW dealership to have the alarm fixed (they will pay for it) BUT I'm just not sure if it actually HAD one installed originally. Is there an easy way to tell? I DO have the clown nose under the rear view instead of an angle switch, and there is a patch in the rear that says Factory Wired for BMW Alarm System, but I don't want to go to the dealership and have them tell me that there isn't one installed.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 325Ci Se
Thumbs up

Hi Mahalo (?)
The usual method would be to check inside the cover in the middle of the headliner to find the ultrasound.. However I see you have a convertible so my advice would be to find the fuse allocated to the alarm (location will be on white card in fusebox, in top of glovebox (rotate the white tabs). and pull that sucker out... your alarm (if you have one) will sound immediateley. Put the fuse back in, and disarm the alarm with your key fob if you need to.

Good luck
Old 06-30-2010, 11:58 AM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Mein Auto: 2006 325Ci
Better yet! Leave a window down, arm the alarm, wait 5 minutes, stick head in car. Or with a convertible, leave top down, arm alarm, wait 5 minutes, jump inside.

Don't do this in certain parts of Mexico, when cops or Army soldiers are about, cause you could get shot.

Hardtops have an ultrasound motion detector on the headliner box, whereas the 'verts have a RF/microwave motion detector hidden inside the console. The 5 minutes is the "grace" period required before the alarm goes full active.

2006 325Ci

Last edited by jcourcoul; 06-30-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 12:20 PM

Thing is it doesn't do anything which is why I need it repaired if it exists! With the bells and whistles the original owner put on the car I can't imagine they skipped on an alarm.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Here is a link to the installation instructions for the convertible E46. In there you'll find a couple of parts you can look for. If they're installed, you have an alarm.

http://www.kneb.net/bmw/E46/Converti...20retrofit.pdf

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 06-30-2010, 12:56 PM

Awesome! Thanks, Jeff!
Old 06-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

From what I've learned since I popped up in this forum, US Bimmers do NOT have a factory installed alarm by default, whereas Mexican and South American DO. Europe, Middle East and Asia, not quite clear. In all cases, the clown nose can be made to blink happily as if it had one.

2006 325Ci
Old 07-02-2010, 09:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 330 CIC ZSP/PP/CW/Nav
Looks like Jeff gave you good info, but FYI I found out I have an alarm when a sensor went bad and it would go off all on it's own. Other than that I think I'd need to break a window to find out because no amount of just shoving it makes the darn thing go off. I believe US verts did not come with sensor alarms for the inside when the top is down. I can toss stuff in the back without a problem with the top down.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: 06 330Cic
US verts did not have the sensors included in the alarm system until 04. The pre-04 alarms just have the electrical interupt sensor and the tilt sensor if my memory serves me correct. If you have an alarm there is a alarm horn installed under the hood on the firewall under some panels. If activated it will sound a chirp when locking and unlocking when the lights flash (if activated by dealer). There will also be a tilt sensor above the battery behind the trunk panel.

Chances are you don't have the alarm, as they were not factory and only dealer installed. Without sensors, they might not do too much for you. When the alarm is activated and installed the clown nose will flash, but you can activate the clown nose flash without the alarm installed. Does your clown nose flash and do you hear a beep when you lock and unlock?

I could be wrong on the interior sensor, however the 2-sensor OEM alarm system I installed in my 06 vert was for 04-06. As I recall reading, the earlier verts did not have the interior sensors.

Good luck,

Reb
Old 07-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Supporter of Bimmer Lore

Since this question has popped up fairly frequently, while working on the Bimmer I have gathered the graphical evidence you can use to make sure you have an original BMW alarm or not. Of course, this applies to a coupe since that's all I have.
  • First, in the cabin look at the ceiling. The ultrasound motion sensor hides under the little cover as shown in the first two pictures. This also applies to sedans. Convertibles have a microwave motion sensor placed inside the center console; maybe a 'vert owner can post a picture.
  • Then, there's a tilt sensor in the trunk, just above the battery. This applies to all models.
  • And no, I'm too lazy to hunt down where the siren is hidden in the engine compartment...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMWAlarm-CabinUltrasound1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	237010   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMWAlarm-CabinUltrasound2.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	237011   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMWAlarm-TrunkTiltsensor.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	237012  

2006 325Ci

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search