BMW at the 2014 LA Auto Show - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW News

BMW News
Get the latest BMW headlines, news, and rumors and discuss the future of BMW with other BMW enthusiasts!

Old 11-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
BMW at the 2014 LA Auto Show

tim330i
Bimmerfest Founder

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by tim330i

The 2014 LA Auto Show kicks off the press days today and BMW showed up in a big way. Showing off to the world for the first the time the all-new F15 BMW X5 M and F16 BMW X6 M. Both are up rated variants of the standard F15 X5 and F16 X6. BMW M worked over the entire vehicle for performance and appearance. To start they dropped the M5/M6 S63tu twin turbo V8 in the front for 567hp and 553 ft-lbs of torque. This power is routed through a eight-speed M Steptronic transmission and xDrive all wheel drive. Sadly a M DCT or manual transmission is not an option but the auto doesn't hurt performance with 0-60 coming in just 4.0 seconds.

On the outside the X5 and X6 get typical M treatments. Big intakes up front feed air to the V8 intercoolers and radiator. On the sides the air breather outlets behind the front wheels get M badge treatment and additional design flair. The mirrors are twin stalk design that look to be borrowed off the M3/M4. Out the back the quad exhaust and M badge let everyone behind you know, that is where they will be staying.

The inside also gets M love; M leather wrapped wheel, aluminum flappy paddles, M instrument cluster, M badges on a few too many things, and new M seats to round it off. All these elements let everyone know that this is an M car throughout. The new M multi-function seats are the number one improvement on the interior. They are fantastically comfortable and seem to hold you solidly in place. We'll have a full review of the seats and the overall performance of the BMW X5 M and X6 M soon so stay tuned.

Read more about the all new 2015 BMW X5 M and BMW X6 M

The new M variants of the X5 and X6 are of course the stars of the show today but they are not the only cars BMW brought. For the track enthusiast, BMW has a glacier silver metallic 228i with Sport line giving it the excellent sport seats. The 228i also has the Track Handling package, upgrading the suspension with the Dynamic Handling package and the huge M Sport brakes hide behind the 18" wheels. This is a rare setup and nice to see the head nod from BMW to those of use that like to track our bimmers.

Read more about the BMW 2 Series Convertible

To round out the Sport Utility segment BMW has a non M, X6 xDrive50i. With a 4.4 liter twin turbo V8 the cross over "Sport Active Vehicle" moves 0-60mph in just 4.6 seconds. The exterior was dressed up in the M Sport package, which changes the front and rear bumper covers making for an aggressive exterior. On the inside the seats were a two tone Nappa leather with the bolsters black and the seat area white.

BMW also brought out a Mineral Grey metallic M4 convertible with a manual 6 speed. The folding top drops to expose the Sakhir Orange Merino leather and a brand new M3/M4 seat with an adjustable thigh bolster. The adjustable thigh bolster has been a staple of BMW ///M seats so it is good to see that it has returned.

On the concept front BMW had on hand the X5 eDrive. Combining the 2.0 liter turbo N20 found in all the '28i' models with an electronic motor and battery pack. Combined the two put down more torque than the N55 6 cylinder turbo unit. Running in hybrid mode the X5 eDrive gets an estimated 62 MPG and some 1300 miles of range. Rumor has it the concept will turn into a production model soon, giving environmentally conscious vehicle buyers a true sports utility option.

Read the Bimmerfest BMW X5 eDrive review

Not to be left out, and certainly not to be forgotten BMW's sub brand, BMW i is on hand with the freshly on sale BMW i8 hybrid super car and the all electric i3. The i8 has an order backlog of over two years so this might be as close as you can get to one for awhile.

Everyone in the area should be sure to swing by the show and check out the latest and greatest from BMW and the rest of the auto manufactures. The 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show is open to the public November 21st - 30th 2014. More details here - http://laautoshow.com/

Last edited by pix335i; 11-19-2014 at 02:24 PM..
This article has been viewed 7476 times.
More about BMW at the 2014 LA Auto Show

2015-bmw-x6m-la-auto 12015-bmw-x6m-la-auto 22015-bmw-x6m-la-auto 32015-bmw-x6m-la-auto 42015-bmw-x6m-la-auto 52015-bmw-x6m-la-auto 62015-bmw-x6m-la-auto 72015-bmw-x6m-la-auto 82015-bmw-x6m-la-auto 92015-bmw-x6m-la-auto 10

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
228i, bmw, bmw auto show, bmw news, la auto show, m4, m4 convertible, track handling package, x5, x5 m, x6, x6 50i, x6 m

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > BMW News
Today's Posts Search