Looking to buy an X1 - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 X1 xDrive 28i
I doubt the ASS deactivates based on 87 oct. gas. I leave mine on all the time, and I've found that during the winter, when it's below 30 degrees, it almost never goes on. I believe its got an algorithm that decides if the cabin temperature can remain comfortable without the engine, and for how long, that determines if ASS kicks in. Weak battery may be a factor too.

As for your mileage, you would get less MPG with 87.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidgamer View Post
Handling is pretty darned good even with these all-seasons. I must not be pushing it enough. ;-) Seriously, though, it feels a bit top-heavy compared to some other cars, or maybe it's just me. Will take me a while to get a comfort level with it.

Hey, I was having a weird problem... it wasn't doing the "Auto Stop/Start". I read through the long list of things that can cause the computer to disable it -- turned off the A/C, don't turn the wheel, etc., but was worried maybe it was a weak battery. I re-read the list and saw that not having "premium gas" was another thing. I topped off the tank with premium, and what do you know -- AS/S starts working. (Not immediately -- it took two short "trips" for it to figure it out.) Guess the dealer stuck regular in there. Another thing -- I was getting, like, 19mpg. Seems a bit low, even considering that I had some highway mixed in, although I have been testing the acceleration a bit. :-D Now that I added that bit of premium, it's closer to 21.

I see on the filler door it says that 89 "premium" is minimum recommended -- that's mid-grade here. Premium is something like 93. This thread discusses the options: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=913077

Still figuring it all out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 12:27 PM
Northern BMW Fan

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xdrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Kommissar View Post
I doubt the ASS deactivates based on 87 oct. gas. I leave mine on all the time, and I've found that during the winter, when it's below 30 degrees, it almost never goes on. I believe its got an algorithm that decides if the cabin temperature can remain comfortable without the engine, and for how long, that determines if ASS kicks in. Weak battery may be a factor too.

As for your mileage, you would get less MPG with 87.
I found the AS/S won't activate at any temperature below 4 degrees C (around 39-40 F I believe).
Old 01-11-2017, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: X1 sDrive28i
I'm in mid-Florida -- it's 65 degrees! I had the A/C on this afternoon, and AS/S didn't come on at all today. :-X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2017, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: X1 s28i
Why isn't my Stop/Start working?

There are numerous vehicle parameters that are monitored as a part of the stop/start function to ensure the driving experience is not impacted. As many of the factors are not possible to monitor it may appear that the feature is not working. Reasons why the stop/start may not shut down the engine include:

The car is coasting (manual transmission)
Brake vacuum reading is too low (manual transmission)
Insufficient brake pedal pressure is being applied to hold the vehicle stationary (automatic transmission)
Stopping on a hill/downhill with a 12% or greater gradient
If the steering angle is more then 6 degrees
If the steering wheel is still be moved after approximately one second of coming to a stop
The system has not yet be activated by going over a speed of 5mph for automatics, 3mph for manuals since the last engine switch off
If the gas pedal is being pressed (engine must be at idle speed only)
You're coming to a stop from reverse
The driver gets out of the car
If Hill Decent Control (HDC) is activated
If the engine is not up to temperature
If the carbon canister is being purged
if the grade of the fuel is too low for the engine
Transmission adaptation is active (automatic transmission)
The hydraulic pressure accumulator is not yet up to pressure (automatic transmission)
Stop-and-go traffic - system is only activated by driving over 5mph for automatics, 3mph for manuals
Batter charge is low
Outside temperature is colder then 37.4 F / 3 C
Outside temperature above 95 F / 35 C and the air conditioning system is on
Fogging of the windshield is detected by the IHKA system
Climate control system is on but passenger compartment has not yet reached desired temperature
ABS system was used when coming to a stop

Alternatively the car may automatically restart outside the standard restart procedure if:

The driver is moving the steering wheel
The driver presses the gas pedal
The transmission was shifted from D to P and subsequently back to D
The transmission is shifted to N or R
The battery charge runs low
Outside temperature rises above 95 F / 35 C and the air conditioning is on
Fogging of the windshield is detected by the IKHA system
Low evaporator temperature is detected

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=606503
Old 01-13-2017, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
Quote:
I'm a bit nervous buying used, but it's a big savings over buying new. Not to mention that I think I'd prefer this model over the newer X1. I hope it works out.....
I held out until I found one loaded with all of the options I wanted. It was $31K with a CPO warranty and 11K miles on it here in Seattle.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=960042
Old 01-13-2017, 09:22 PM

While it didn't work yesterday, I turned off the climate control, and the AS/S started working again tonight. Go figure.

The engine restart is a bit rough -- I can understand people's complaints about it not being smooth. It's not so bad really, but shudders a bit.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
I held out until I found one loaded with all of the options I wanted. It was $31K with a CPO warranty and 11K miles on it here in Seattle.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=960042
Sounds like a decent deal. Looked at your pics. I would have liked to have found one loaded, but then it would have been more expensive and I might not have gotten one in blue and MSport, both things I quite liked. The price difference is not insignificant! I guess that's the fun in buying used -- you have to deal with what is available. But if you asked me ahead of time what I wanted -- I wouldn't have mentioned Nav, but I would have mentioned blue, hatchback, sporty, preferably with sports suspension and upgraded radio. I think I got everything on my short list except for the upgraded radio, and even that isn't too bad.

Right after I bought it, the VW salesman called to say that they finally got a GTI in an upgraded trim I was looking at.. :-/ I woulda been happy with a GTI, but ready to try something different too. Plus, BMW has a bit more status or something.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
That standard Professional radio is really good. I can't even imagine a better radio in a car, and in stock form it even has ipod usb port, and Good bass speakers under front seats.
Old 01-14-2017, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive35i
Quote:
I wouldn't have mentioned Nav, but I would have mentioned blue, hatchback, sporty, preferably with sports suspension and upgraded radio. I think I got everything on my short list except for the upgraded radio, and even that isn't too bad.
If I had been buying mine new and custom ordering, M-Sport with the Blue / Beige combination you found is definitely the way I would have gone. Enjoy it; it's a gorgeous car!
Old 01-14-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
If I had been buying mine new and custom ordering, M-Sport with the Blue / Beige combination you found is definitely the way I would have gone. Enjoy it; it's a gorgeous car!
Thanks! I really like your interior, and it definitely looks more upscale, but we really like these sports seats as well as the color, so it works out. I'm still pinching myself. Is this really my car?
Old 01-14-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
That standard Professional radio is really good. I can't even imagine a better radio in a car, and in stock form it even has ipod usb port, and Good bass speakers under front seats.
When I first heard it, my first reaction was, "Hey, this is pretty good for the non-premium radio." I think it's better than most stock radios, for sure. I'm kind of wondering if is worth trying to do an upgrade or just leave it. I have had to crank the treble a bit, but bass is pretty good -- slightly boomy with some songs. I couldn't find any fancy DSP or equalizer settings.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:03 AM

I've done a lot of searching, and for speakers, it sounds like either Focal or Bavsound is going to be the most straightforward plug-and-play solution. I kind of like the idea of trying to replace just the tweeters. (Anyone know the ohms of the factory crossover/capacitor? I couldn't find that in any searches.) I guess I'll wait for now and will consider my options before trying anything. In my last car, I replaced the front speakers (woofers and tweeters) and thought then that I probably would have done just as well to simply replace the tweeters.

AS/S worked again yesterday. A big factor is the A/C, I think, as to whether or not it runs the engine. Getting less than 22 city, and I'm not really pushing it. I blame the gas. Still haven't driven it enough to get rid of the tank!
Old 01-15-2017, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: X1
Quote:
I've done a lot of searching, and for speakers, it sounds like either Focal or Bavsound is going to be the most straightforward plug-and-play solution. I kind of like the idea of trying to replace just the tweeters. (Anyone know the ohms of the factory crossover/capacitor? I couldn't find that in any searches.) I guess I'll wait for now and will consider my options before trying anything. In my last car, I replaced the front speakers (woofers and tweeters) and thought then that I probably would have done just as well to simply replace the tweeters.

If you decide to replace only the front tweeters, I have an extra pair of bavsound tweeters included with my stage one kit, intended for use in the rear of the HK system. There was no place to mount them without modification on my non HK system, so I left them out. They come with inline filter/crossover, but you'll want to check with bavsound to determine if they'll work with factory midrange speakers.

Pm me if interested. If I were you, though, I'd get the whole stage one kit. You won't be disappointed.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 s28i Msport
I think I did put bass on 0 and treble on 10, but the quality of sound because of recording or even FM stations can vary greatly.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTranq View Post
If you decide to replace only the front tweeters,.... you'll want to check with bavsound to determine if they'll work with factory midrange speakers.
Yeah, this is the problem -- it's just a crap shoot, to have mismatched tweets and woofers. Plus, there's a stock crossover somewhere in the system...

Quote:
Pm me if interested. If I were you, though, I'd get the whole stage one kit. You won't be disappointed.
Thanks! Yeah, I should just bite the bullet and do the kit, although if I can just do the front doors, that would be ideal. I'm not going to do anything just yet, but I'll think about it.

Actually, I have some really nice tweeters left over from a previous install -- maybe I should try those, but I think they'd be too big. But if I could remove the stock tweets without removing the entire door panel, that might be worth trying. (Checking..) ugh, they are 2" tweeters, so probably too big.
Old 01-16-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0w40X1 View Post
I think I did put bass on 0 and treble on 10, but the quality of sound because of recording or even FM stations can vary greatly.
I agree that quality varies, and in particular, XM is pretty poor quality, but if you really have to crank the treble control then something's wrong. Maybe I'll try nudging it a bit more, but 10 is probably too much.

I almost always modify the audio systems for my cars, but I'll see how this one goes for a while.
Old 01-16-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Yeah, this is the problem -- it's just a crap shoot, to have mismatched tweets and woofers. Plus, there's a stock crossover somewhere in the system...

Thanks! Yeah, I should just bite the bullet and do the kit, although if I can just do the front doors, that would be ideal. I'm not going to do anything just yet, but I'll think about it.

Actually, I have some really nice tweeters left over from a previous install -- maybe I should try those, but I think they'd be too big. But if I could remove the stock tweets without removing the entire door panel, that might be worth trying. (Checking..) ugh, they are 2" tweeters, so probably too big.

You'll definitely need to remove the door panel. It's easy, though. Just takes a minute, but don't bother just yet. The original tweets are 1 5/8". No way you'll squeeze 2" speakers into the clips unless, maybe, you're handy with a dremel. Good luck.

Don't know for sure, but I think the Focal kit is front speakers only, for about the same price as the whole bavsound kit. I like to set the fader toward the rear, so upgrading rear speakers was necessary.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:34 AM

Bought X1 2014 CPO this week

Bought extra BMW care+ package for free maintenance till end of warranty ( hope this was right choice )

With following packages:
==================
PREMIUM PACKAGE
Universal Garage-Door Opener
Comfort Access Keyless Entry
Panoramic Moonroof
Auto-Dimming Interior & Exterior Mirrors
Power Front Seats w/Driver Seat Memory
Lumbar Support
Interior Mirror w/Compass
Ambiance Lighting
Satellite Radio w/1 Year Subscription
Nevada Leather Upholstery
Auto-Dimming Rearview Mirror
=====================
M SPORT LINE
Sport Suspension
Wheels: 18" x 8" M Light Alloy Double Spoke
Tires: P225/45R18 AS Run Flat
Performance Control
M Sport Package
High-Gloss Roof Rails
Sport Seats
Dark Crosshatch Aluminum Trim
Aerodynamic Kit
Shadowline Exterior Trim
Anthracite Headliner
M Sports Leather Steering Wheel w/Paddle Shifters
Increased Top Speed Limiter
==================
TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE
Navigation System
Voice-Command
BMW Online
Remote Services
BMW Apps
Enhanced USB & Bluetooth w/Smartphone Integration
Real Time Traffic Information
=======================
DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE
Rear-View Camera
Park Distance Control
===================
INCLUDED OPTIONS
Heated Front Seats Servotronic

Last edited by ninsaw; 02-04-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTranq View Post
You'll definitely need to remove the door panel. It's easy, though. Just takes a minute, but don't bother just yet. The original tweets are 1 5/8". No way you'll squeeze 2" speakers into the clips unless, maybe, you're handy with a dremel. Good luck.
Eh, I'm not too excited about hacking up the car just yet. But, it's an option...

Quote:
Don't know for sure, but I think the Focal kit is front speakers only, for about the same price as the whole bavsound kit. I like to set the fader toward the rear, so upgrading rear speakers was necessary.
I'm a front-speaker guy, so replacing fronts alone would be OK. Well, for now, I'm trying to listen to it as-is and see how I like it. I like the idea of replacing the tweeters as I'm thinking that might be the weak-spot -- voices and instruments seem pretty clear, so maybe the mids are OK, but matching random mids and tweets might not work well. So, I dunno.

I also looked into DSP options, but I don't know if the stock system will get upset if I start doing some creative wiring. (There's MiniDSP, for example, if you can insert it between the head unit and rear amp. However, it might change the load and cause something to freak out or throw a warning code, so I dunno.)

I have been reading about the Bimmertech amp, but at $900, it's kind of a non-starter, I'm afraid. I just am having trouble finding out the limitations of modifying the stock system without it having a cow.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsaw View Post
Bought extra BMW care+ package for free maintenance till end of warranty ( hope this was right choice )
The pictures aren't working for me? Anyway, I dunno about the value of the free maint. vs. paying separately, but either way, it's good to keep it maintained, so what the heck.

Looks like you got all of the luxury items! I'm a tad jealous. Only a bit. Until I start driving, then it doesn't matter.
Old 02-04-2017, 03:07 PM

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0464.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	588668   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0462.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	588669  
Old 02-05-2017, 01:04 PM

Looks nice! Extended maintenance usually does not work out in your favor unless 1) you got a discount on it or 2) you manage to get BMW to replace both the front and rear brakes. Either one make it worth it. Also, don't roll it into financing, as otherwise you'll pay interest on it, making the total cost more than just paying when you need the services.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Kommissar View Post
Looks nice! Extended maintenance usually does not work out in your favor unless 1) you got a discount on it or 2) you manage to get BMW to replace both the front and rear brakes. Either one make it worth it. Also, don't roll it into financing, as otherwise you'll pay interest on it, making the total cost more than just paying when you need the services.
Able to get them down by $700 from original value, so 2 extra years for free maintainance, I read by CPO certification break pads are somewhere between 5-6mm, so I assume I will need to change those at least once in this 3 years
Old 02-06-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsaw View Post
Able to get them down by $700 from original value, so 2 extra years for free maintenance, I read by CPO certification break pads are somewhere between 5-6mm, so I assume I will need to change those at least once in this 3 years
Cool- just be sure that their "original value" is the actual MSRP. With my e90, I was able to get the rears replaced between 50 and 100k, but not the fronts. Depends on your driving style, as BMW won't replace them unless the car tells them to. If you don't wear them down enough to set off the sensors, no new pads for you.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:36 AM
Northern BMW Fan

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xdrive28i
I'm curious to see what they do to my pads. The computer tells me they have to be replaced, but taking a quick look at the outside pads and it seems there's still plenty of meat left on them.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search