E63/64 I think I'm gonna do it.... Valve stem seals etc - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 645ci
E63/64 I think I'm gonna do it.... Valve stem seals etc

Well after shopping around and talking to a few Indy techs ... And BMW techs ... And my ford techs ... I think I'm going to buy the AGA valve stem tool kit... The carbon removal kit and the coolant pipe and tackle it with my master certified diesel tech.... Yup I finally found someone who isn't afraid to tackle this beast... I mean I have some mechanical aptitude but no tools ... This guy has his own shop ... With a lift he does side work at his house .... We watched the videos read the instructions .. Looks like although time consuming and tedious ... It doesn't look too bad ... I have a second car to drive and I'm going to help him out and give him some cash... Things aren't for sure but I'm excited for the challenge and save a few bucks .... Would it be easier to pull the engine and do it on the stand or in the car .... I know the tools are meant for in car repair but maybe it will be easier with the engine out? Dunno but I'll let you know how it goes and if I do it ... I'll post pics .... Any tips from members who have done this ??

Last edited by Hsurf; 12-20-2018 at 12:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2015, 03:53 AM

Mein Auto: X5
You need to buy the special tools such as for the Double VANOS Alignment Tools & Valve Stem Seal Tool Kit, etc. I prepare the old way to hold up the valve into place after removed the valve keeper as such as the rope instead of the air pressure because you have all the time to work with that valve. You research thru the youtube the process to do this. Replace with the correct specification and don't use aftermarket Valve Stem Seals. Also, have with you a magnet to pick up the keeper and non-magnetic stick to aligning the keeper in place. Apply a light grease to the valve stem where the keeper to be seated. NOTE: covers all holes of the cylinder head to avoid drop the keepers in the holes. Once you got the hang of it, such as your boths hands have to coordination it will takes you at least 30 minutes per valve from removing the keeper to replacing it. Multiple that with 24 times.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...aft-Timing.htm
http://www.beisansystems.com/procedu..._procedure.htm
Old 07-24-2015, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Thanks for the tips!! Doesn't the All German Garage tool kit come with most every tool you need ?? I went to their website and read the instructions and watched their video ... I know the job is time consuming ... But I figured it's something me and a knowledgable tech could accomplish although it may take longer but I got more time than money right now and a second car to drive .... Worth it to save a couple grand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2018, 09:21 PM

Mein Auto:
What happened? Do you want to sell your kits?
Old 08-21-2019, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 745li
they rent all the tools and sell the seals, they also have a youtube video on how to do the job and how to set up the aga tools. great service and very fast. great support as well you get during the process and after the process with some code that might pop up.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BMWAGAN62TOOLR

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY
Today's Posts Search