Defroster not blowing hot - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-11-2019, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Defroster not blowing hot

Only owned thr car a couple days and now the heater and defroster aren't blowing hot..
Things I need to check?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2019, 06:38 PM
BeeemerBro

Mein Auto: X3 M54 150k
For starters check the coolant level.

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2019, 05:47 AM

Checked coolant level and added some.. still blowing cold.
Steering wheel controls dont work either. And all the lights dont work.
Any suggestions on what to check now?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2019, 06:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: e91
I suggest you research ISTA and buy a KDCAN adapter.

you're not going to get far in diagnosing anything without a way to communicate with the car.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi E91
[QUOTE=fisherman983;13186021]Only owned the car a couple days and now the heater and defroster aren't blowing hot..
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman983 View Post
Checked coolant level and added some.. still blowing cold. Steering wheel controls dont work either. And all the lights dont work.
Any suggestions on what to check now?
Welcome to the Forum!

Assuming that the vehicle you are inquiring about is a 2007 328xi, ALWAYS include the Month/Year built in any request for information, as significant changes to the electrical system were made effective 3/1/2007. The Mo/Yr built is found on the Driver Door sticker. I realize the car is new to you and you are NOT immediately able to identify HOW things are SUPPOSED to work. I trust you have the Owner's Manual and are able to check how things are supposed to work using that Manual. If NOT, you can download a pdf version using link in attached pdf. However, we can check circuit diagrams to identify possible faults if you will do a complete checklist of what appears to NOT be working properly.

There appear to be electrical faults, which COULD be as simple as one or more bad fuses, or there could be an issue with wiring, related to something done by/for the prior owner, or perhaps in performance of the Blower Motor Wiring Harness Recall, where the Dealer has to remove the Fuse Panel/Junction Box and modify the wiring in one of the connectors.

QUESTIONS:

1) Did you buy the vehicle from an individual, a general used car dealer, or a BMW Dealer?
2) Was there ANY warranty related to your purchase?
3) Do you have a DMM (Digital Multimeter)? If not you need one & can get one for $6 from HFT (Harbor Freight Tools).
4) Please identify EACH LIGHT that is NOT working, including (a) Climate Control Panel Lights, (b) Steering wheel switch Lights, (c) Driver Door Switch Cluster Lights, (d) other "Locating Lights" such as Trunk Release Light, other Window Switch Lights on other doors, (e) ANY other interior lights such as reading lights, etc, AND (f) any EXTERIOR lights which do NOT light.
4a) Refer to your Owner's Manual for the procedure to operate the "Dimmer Control" or brightness control of your dash lights, steering wheel lights, & other "Locating Lights". Do ANY of the lights change brightness when that procedure is used? Which lights do NOT change brightness, or do NOT illuminate at all?
5) If there are any switch FUNCTIONS that do NOT work (as opposed to Lights ;-) please identify each.
6) Does the Blower Motor blow air, regardless of whether cold or hot, at different speeds depending upon Speed Button settings on Climate Control Panel?
7) Do you know if the vehicle has had the "Blower Motor Harness Recall" performed? You can go to the BMW site or the NHTSA site (both linked in the attached pdf "E9x References", enter your VIN and see status.
8) "Check Control" is a simplified fault code device installed on your vehicle, which does NOT require a Scan Tool or any other device to read "CC-ID" codes. See "Check Control" in your Owner's Manual, follow the procedure (using the "B/C" buttons on your turn signal stalk, and let us know what codes you have.

If you are interested in getting diagnostic tools to diagnose your vehicle's faults when they occur, let us know if you have Windows 10 Laptop, Android Device, etc. and we can suggest how to do that. It is likely that you have Fault Codes, or could do tests using INPA or ISTA to more quickly diagnose the issue, but we can make some suggestions of tests you can do with a simple multimeter or fuse check, if you provide the information requested above.

George
Attached Files
File Type: pdf E9x References.pdf (218.0 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by gbalthrop; 12-12-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:07 AM

[QUOTE=gbalthrop;13186565]
Quote:
Only owned the car a couple days and now the heater and defroster aren't blowing hot..

Welcome to the Forum!

Assuming that the vehicle you are inquiring about is a 2007 328xi, ALWAYS include the Month/Year built in any request for information, as significant changes to the electrical system were made effective 3/1/2007. The Mo/Yr built is found on the Driver Door sticker. I realize the car is new to you and you are NOT immediately able to identify HOW things are SUPPOSED to work. I trust you have the Owner's Manual and are able to check how things are supposed to work using that Manual. If NOT, you can download a pdf version using link in attached pdf. However, we can check circuit diagrams to identify possible faults if you will do a complete checklist of what appears to NOT be working properly.

There appear to be electrical faults, which COULD be as simple as one or more bad fuses, or there could be an issue with wiring, related to something done by/for the prior owner, or perhaps in performance of the Blower Motor Wiring Harness Recall, where the Dealer has to remove the Fuse Panel/Junction Box and modify the wiring in one of the connectors.

QUESTIONS:

1) Did you buy the vehicle from an individual, a general used car dealer, or a BMW Dealer?
2) Was there ANY warranty related to your purchase?
3) Do you have a DMM (Digital Multimeter)? If not you need one & can get one for $6 from HFT (Harbor Freight Tools).
4) Please identify EACH LIGHT that is NOT working, including (a) Climate Control Panel Lights, (b) Steering wheel switch Lights, (c) Driver Door Switch Cluster Lights, (d) other "Locating Lights" such as Trunk Release Light, other Window Switch Lights on other doors, (e) ANY other interior lights such as reading lights, etc, AND (f) any EXTERIOR lights which do NOT light.
4a) Refer to your Owner's Manual for the procedure to operate the "Dimmer Control" or brightness control of your dash lights, steering wheel lights, & other "Locating Lights". Do ANY of the lights change brightness when that procedure is used? Which lights do NOT change brightness, or do NOT illuminate at all?
5) If there are any switch FUNCTIONS that do NOT work (as opposed to Lights ;-) please identify each.
6) Does the Blower Motor blow air, regardless of whether cold or hot, at different speeds depending upon Speed Button settings on Climate Control Panel?
7) Do you know if the vehicle has had the "Blower Motor Harness Recall" performed? You can go to the BMW site or the NHTSA site (both linked in the attached pdf "E9x References", enter your VIN and see status.
8) "Check Control" is a simplified fault code device installed on your vehicle, which does NOT require a Scan Tool or any other device to read "CC-ID" codes. See "Check Control" in your Owner's Manual, follow the procedure (using the "B/C" buttons on your turn signal stalk, and let us know what codes you have.

If you are interested in getting diagnostic tools to diagnose your vehicle's faults when they occur, let us know if you have Windows 10 Laptop, Android Device, etc. and we can suggest how to do that. It is likely that you have Fault Codes, or could do tests using INPA or ISTA to more quickly diagnose the issue, but we can make some suggestions of tests you can do with a simple multimeter or fuse check, if you provide the information requested above.

George
I'll have to answer most of your questions later when I'm not working 16 hr shifts and have time to look at the car over better.

Bought it as is, no warranty. I was told the expansion tank was replaced prior to my purchase by the dealer but I dont think it was.
Coolant level light is still on in the dash.

Blower blows air on all settings.
Not sure about the wiring harness recall, I will check that later.
None of the steering wheel controls work. None of the lights work either.

I'll check the fuses when u get a chance.

The head unit is having a few issues. Volume doesnt show up and some lights are fading a little.
I sure hope this wasnt a really bad decision to buy this car

Old 12-13-2019, 04:18 PM

I did the vin check and it said 0 unrepaired recalls.
I'm assuming that means the harness has been repaired?

Old 12-13-2019, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530Xi
Quote:
I did the vin check and it said 0 unrepaired recalls.
I'm assuming that means the harness has been repaired?

Perhaps. The place you want to start is with the simplest thing. Bleed the cooling system. It's an easy process taking 30 minutes to run the bleed cycle twice.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmabmw View Post
Perhaps. The place you want to start is with the simplest thing. Bleed the cooling system. It's an easy process taking 30 minutes to run the bleed cycle twice.
I'll try that when I can get some time off.

Old 12-14-2019, 01:03 PM

Borrowed a scan tool and checked the codes
P0301 came up for sole reason last night on my 2 mile drive home. Turned the car off and it went away.
Cc-id 166, 63, and 97 all came up

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search