2017 330e KLE and road damage - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: 330e 2017, Ford Ranger
2017 330e KLE and road damage

Had our 2017 330e since last year when we bought it from a local dealer, certified used with only 24k miles. It was a good deal and they extended the warranty.The care is a gas to drive--tho I guess we need a different metaphor nowadays.

At any rate, last week we got the "unable to charge" and "main power too low" errors. Took the car in to the dealer.

They told us it was the KLE charging module and that it would NOT be covered by warranty because they said it was caused by damage. The service advisor suggested it was from us running over something or something bouncing up from a road. He texted some photos.

Then, the best part, he said it would cost $10,000 US in parts and probably another $2k in labor. And the parts would have to come from Germany so it might take weeks. He suggested I get my insurance to pay for the repair.

My rip-off radar is going off. The photos don't show any damage that is obvious to me. (I'll see if I can upload them.) Neither my wife nor I heard any sort of bangs or scrapes that would have damaged something that badly.

How is it possible that the KLE unit and some wiring would cost 10 grand? and that the labor is so much for what seems like a fairly simple replacement of a box bolted under the car? I get it that the dealer charges top dollar--they have to pay for their fancy building and etc. But to pay 1/2 of what we paid for a repair when there was no accident seems pretty far out of line.

Anyone heard of such a problem before? I am going back to the dealer tomorrow to have a look in person. Any suggestions on things to look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 03:39 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Whoa! Quite an impressive procedure. 1000 VDC. I had no idea.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...kle/1VnYnmMeKg
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:23 PM

Yeah if it worries a nuclear engineer, it's got to be dangerous. But it doesn't look like it requires a lot of sophisticated equipment or is that complicated, but just taking reasonable care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2020, 04:28 PM

Here are the photos, hopefully.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_0.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	881505   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_0-1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	881507   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_0-2.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	881509   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_0-3.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	881511   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_0-4.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	881513  

Old 02-12-2020, 12:46 PM

I had a look at the car up on the rack at the dealer. There is some damage that the mechanic pointed out, but it is very minor from what I can see. The best the mechanic could figure was that something had bounced up and hit the bottom of the car. It did it with enough force to push the KLE unit up and into the wiring harness where it compressed some of the wiring. None of the wires looked very damaged--the insulation was compressed but nothing was broken or badly bent. The frame holding the kle was not bent--there was nothing obviously broken, bent, or scratchec on the frame or on the KLE itself. But I guess the shock of getting hit had caused it to malfunction.

So I am going to my insurance. I am also filing a complaint at BMW North America because of the shoddy design. It seems like the KLE can't handle any sort of impact--since this impact wasn't enought to bend or break anything on it. How is it that such an expensive and delicate part is so exposed on the bottom of the vehicle?

Last edited by hot rod hiram; 02-12-2020 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:08 PM

Just spoke with BMW North America customer relations. The person said he would send the issue to the technical design team. He also suggested that I ask the dealer service dept to send a technical case to BMWNA since it might be possible to have some retrofit to protect the KLE in the future.

We shall see.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:24 PM

The end of the story, I hope, is that my insurance will cover the cost. On the repair estimate, the big dollar item is the wiring harness for $4 grand, the KLE for $1800, and labor . . .

I sure hope this doesn't happen again . . .

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search