F30 340i over B8.5 S4? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 02-13-2020, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto:
F30 340i over B8.5 S4?

Hi all, currently deciding between a F30 340i (RWD, no xDrive) and B8.5 S4 as a daily driver. I plan on getting BM3 + VRFS FMIC/DP on the 340i and equivalent (IE Stage 2) for the S4.

Won't see any track use and I'm located in CA, so luckily snow isn't an issue.
My commute is ~20mi round trip, and I occasionally go for spirited drives in the mountains..although I could probably count the number of times per year with one hand.

The 340i has: (1) M Sport Package-- non-adaptive 704 Msport Suspension (2) Tech Package (3) Driver Assistance Plus (4) Dakota Leather (5) HK Audio

Comparably, S4 is equipped with: (1) LSD (2) Tech Package (3) Nappa Leather (4) B&O Audio

Any input would be appreciated-- thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 02:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2019 440i Coupe
Same model years? Mileage?
2019 440i Coupe ///M Sport Design Mineral Grey Metallic Black Dakota/Blue Stitched leather Aluminum Dark Carbon/Pearl Gloss Chrome trim Track Handling Package Orbit Grey 398/Michelin PSS Driving Assistance Package Black Kidney Grilles Stainless Steel Pedals PCD 4/27/18
Old 02-13-2020, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 340 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by beboop1 View Post
Hi all, currently deciding between a F30 340i (RWD, no xDrive) and B8.5 S4 as a daily driver. I plan on getting BM3 + VRFS FMIC/DP on the 340i and equivalent (IE Stage 2) for the S4.

Won't see any track use and I'm located in CA, so luckily snow isn't an issue.
My commute is ~20mi round trip, and I occasionally go for spirited drives in the mountains..although I could probably count the number of times per year with one hand.

The 340i has: (1) M Sport Package-- non-adaptive 704 Msport Suspension (2) Tech Package (3) Driver Assistance Plus (4) Dakota Leather (5) HK Audio

Comparably, S4 is equipped with: (1) LSD (2) Tech Package (3) Nappa Leather (4) B&O Audio

Any input would be appreciated-- thanks!
Which one did you like more when you test drove them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2020, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWWIII View Post
Same model years? Mileage?
340i: 2016, 43k miles
S4: 2015, 30k miles

Vehicle history/service records are clean, and afaik other than a potential water pump/pcv issue on the S4, I don't think there are major maintenance items that would scare me away from either(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
Which one did you like more when you test drove them?
Hard to say-- I liked the tech on the 340, but the S4's DSG was quite nice. I didn't take any corners too hard, so I can't say for certain if the slip differential actually made a difference.

Last edited by beboop1; 02-13-2020 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
The engine in the 340i is amazing. It's what is in my 540ix and I'm blown away with the performance and overall balance of the drivetrain.
Historically BMW inline 6 cylinders have been the most reliable, particularly compared to V8's. They have nuisance items like weak water pump and leaky gaskets but the packaging means they are easy to work on, parts are easy to find and relatively inexpensive compared to M engine specific parts. On top of that there will eventually be a ton of DIY info on youtube. Hopefully the B58 motor follows the path of its forebears in regards to reliability and durability.
My partner has a 4 series convertible and I'm not blown away by the interior materials. BMW really could have done better in that area particularly given the price of the car when it was new. Ours is a bit of a garage queen as it's coming up to four years (or is it five?) and 21k miles but at least everything in the interior is holding up well.

I really don't know much about Audi's as I've been happy with BMW's for quite some time now. The S4 certainly looks nice and they are usually noted for the interior materials so I would expect the interior of the S4 to be better than the 340. Incidentally that 428i came really close to being an A5 because my partner does not have the same brand loyalty I have, but the combination of Audi dealers not budging on price and one last visit to BMW dealer for a look at a 4 series swayed the pendulum.

The comment about no snow in CA made me smirk. As someone who drives up and down Donner pass a half a dozen times a month every month of every year for the past 11 years, don't tell me about not having to worry about snow in California. This is why the x with the 540ix...
2013 Cooper S
2007 650i - 6 speed
2002 330ci convertible - 5 speed

Past:
2012 X5 Diesel
2012 Countryman S All4 - 6 speed
2006 Cooper S - 6 speed
2006 330i - 6 speed
1997 328is - 5 speed
1991 318is - 5 speed
1988 635csi - 5 speed
1988 325i convertible - 5 speed
1969 2002 with tii and 5 speed conversions

Last edited by FredoinSF; 02-13-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 440i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by beboop1 View Post
340i: 2016, 43k miles
S4: 2015, 30k miles

Vehicle history/service records are clean, and afaik other than a potential water pump/pcv issue on the S4, I don't think there are major maintenance items that would scare me away from either(?)

Hard to say-- I liked the tech on the 340, but the S4's DSG was quite nice. I didn't take any corners too hard, so I can't say for certain if the slip differential actually made a difference.
With mileages that close together, I'd tend to lean towards the newer model year, if all other things are equal in your mind. I assume asking prices are close to the same? Guess you'd also want to look into general reliability indexes for these two cars.

If you're not going to be tracking the car, I'm not sure that the Audi LSD is going to make that big a difference in your daily driving.
2019 440i Coupe ///M Sport Design Mineral Grey Metallic Black Dakota/Blue Stitched leather Aluminum Dark Carbon/Pearl Gloss Chrome trim Track Handling Package Orbit Grey 398/Michelin PSS Driving Assistance Package Black Kidney Grilles Stainless Steel Pedals PCD 4/27/18
Old 02-13-2020, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post
-snip- The comment about no snow in CA made me smirk. As someone who drives up and down Donner pass a half a dozen times a month every month of every year for the past 11 years...
Thanks for the in depth response! Agree that the Audi's interior feels nicer, but the tech of the newer 340i is also appealing..

Haha, I should have added a disclaimer: *where I am in CA, snow isn't an issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWWIII View Post
With mileages that close together, I'd tend to lean towards the newer model year, if all other things are equal in your mind. I assume asking prices are close to the same? Guess you'd also want to look into general reliability indexes for these two cars.

If you're not going to be tracking the car, I'm not sure that the Audi LSD is going to make that big a difference in your daily driving.
Yup, prices are basically dead even, maybe a couple hundred off from each other depending on what parts I decide to use for the mods. Thanks for pointing out the reliability indexes, I'll definitely take a look at them!

From what I've read online + this post, it seems there's not one that's head and shoulders above the other (makes sense, as they're meant to be competitive with each other?), so I'll probably take a spin in each one again and make the final call

Last edited by beboop1; 02-13-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
While I can't speak to the B8.5 specifically, I've found stock Audis to understeer much more than BMWs when driven near the limit.
Also, I've found that regular maintenance work on modern VW/Audi vehicles to be much more of a pain in the butt than on any BMW I've ever owned (even my R53 which has the most cramped engine compartment known to man).
I'd go with the 340i, but that's me.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 328i
Personally, I like better how BMW's drive over Audi's.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bean View Post
While I can't speak to the B8.5 specifically, I've found stock Audis to understeer much more than BMWs when driven near the limit.
Also, I've found that regular maintenance work on modern VW/Audi vehicles to be much more of a pain in the butt than on any BMW I've ever owned (even my R53 which has the most cramped engine compartment known to man).
I'd go with the 340i, but that's me.
Yeah, the (lack of) ease of maintenance is definitely common to hear about Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner328 View Post
Personally, I like better how BMW's drive over Audi's.
Noted! Do you know if the Audi offering(s) you drove had the LSD?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 440i GC
I drove Audis for 20+ years until last October when I got my 440. My last one was a 2014 S4 (Same car you are looking at) with the Sport Diff. It was a great car and while I prefer a manual transmission, the DSG in the Audi was amazing. On the downside, and as mentioned above, the Audi suffers from understeer. I had gotten so used to it, and the sport diff helps a lot, that it didn't bother me most of the time, however the BMW has none of it. The 440 is my first BMW (aside from an E30 race car). After most of my life living in the Midwest and east coast, I moved to Florida where snow is not an issue and wanted to switch to RWD when my work car allowance policy forced me into a newer car.

The RWD BMW is so much more fun to drive. The lack of understeer is what I noticed first. The engine feels stronger than the Audi's Supercharged V6 (it isn't) and the car feels more nimble and neutral. If you like to drive, the BMW is better. The tech is pretty much the same, however I do have CarPlay in the BMW. The interior of the BMW is my only gripe. If I could put the Audi's seats and interior trim in the BMW, I would have nothing to complain about. Also the Audi with DSG gives you some fun engine farts on upshifts-I think the M Performance Kit would do the same for the BMW but lets skip the noise.

My commute is 29 miles one way through 1/3 suburban and 2/3 rural driving across central Florida. Not as many curves/hills, but at least it is nice to look at (I used to commute from Bucks County into Philly).

You cant go wrong with either car. BMW's CPO warranty is better.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:15 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Evil View Post
I drove Audis for 20+ years until last October when I got my 440.-snip-

You cant go wrong with either car. BMW's CPO warranty is better.
Great write up, thank you!! That definitely makes me feel better about leaning towards the 340.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 530i e60 5 serie
I would expect the 340i has the B58 which is a solid motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2016, 340i, audi 3.0 tfsi v6, b8.5 s4, compariso, f30, msport

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search