Top not closed, boseman fix didnt work - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-24-2020, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto:
Top not closed, boseman fix didnt work

I've been messing with my convertible for months trying to get it to work. Hasn't work since I bought the car so that makes it more difficult do I'm asking for help

Here is all the info and stuff I've tried and some notes:

Rear back window doesnt do anything up or down

Rear lid does nothing

Error top not locked

Bought and installed rebuilt kit for lock motor next to some light because I thought gears were bad

Hooked lock motor to a battery and it works fine but doesnt move or make noises in the car

When I hit convertible button 4 windows go half way and stop and nothing else will happen

Tried holding buttons for several seconds

Top button flashing red of course

Battery is brand new like 5 months old

Alternator new as well

Boseman fix attempt did nothing for my situation

The convertible storage in trunk is down and nothing touching it

Checked every single fuse in the glove compartment and all good and just checked fuses 72 73 and 83 in trunk and they were good as well

Any ideas would be great. I'm assuming it would be a sensor in the roof ? I'm out of ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2020, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
There was a recall for the tops in the past 2 years, might want to give BMWNA a call to see if it is covered?
Old 01-24-2020, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto:
Well I bought used so I'd assume it's not under warranty with 104xxx miles?

But I found and ordered the hall sensor that is in the convertible top to the left of the locking motor. I figured if it isnt that I'll have to take it somewhere after looking at so many threads on the internet and several videos of the e64. I'm really hoping it will work the sensor was about 80 shipped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2020, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Read this

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...on-settlement/
Old 01-24-2020, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto:
It says case closed and dismissed in 2017? I dont think this is with current time. Seems closed
Old 01-25-2020, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas29k View Post
It says case closed and dismissed in 2017? I dont think this is with current time. Seems closed
It only cost a phone call, & maybe they will cover it?
Old 02-01-2020, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto:
Ok so the new hall sensor came which is right about you when you sit in driver seat. Installed new sensor and still nothin. Windows go down half way then absolutely nothing

Checked every single fuse again double checking in glove compartment and trunk as well as swapping similar relays. So no fuse or relay problem

Also want to note that much trunk only unlocks with key nothing else. Put in a new locking latch and nothing changed. Button in car, pulling emblem up, and key button do nothing although I hear a noise when I push button in car.

I'm curious of the locked trunk is linked to my convertible top problem?

Any ideas or suggestions would help greatly as i have ran out of ideas now and to confirm boseman trick didnt work tried self places on top just now and still nothing. I dont have time to take it to a dealership or anything and would like to fix myself with all the time I've put into it

Also yes storage thing is open on trunk.

I do have one question there is a wire that is not connected to anything and cant see where it would connect here is a pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200201_124704_1580580319027.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	880517  
Old 02-01-2020, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto:
Edit: nevermind about random connector seen it's for disabling battery during shipping

Also for trunk lock problem I have checked wire look for broke wires on passenger side it's all good
Old 02-01-2020, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Looks like you are going to need to find a copy of ISTA+ somewhere & a cable. Our cars really need ISTA to figure out problems like this. You could try the M5board site for some better info.

https://www.m5board.com/
Old 02-01-2020, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks for reply

I called bmw dealership and they said the software update could take a whole day so imma have to plan time from work to go up there

More messing around with it today I manually lowered the top. 2 things I noticed. Rear window will not go down with any buttons. Imma have to order new assembly because it started raining and i tried to force top down on rear window and shattered it lol I know dumb of me.

The second thing I noticed is I cant get the lid to come up where the top folds in. The cables in the trunk were pulled out and all so I'm not sure about that either
I'm about to click on link you posted

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search