2016 228i - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:51 AM

Mein Auto:
2016 228i

Just picked up less than 2 weeks ago. Car drives good, responsive, no shaking or hesitation or rough idling just loud especially on a cold start overnight. I'm assuming it's just from the direct injectors.

Oil change and filter was changed when I bought the car according to the maintenance report from the dealer. I added fuel injector cleaner, still have 3/4 of a tank left to burn (91 highest I have in CA).

Gas mileage is way under the estimated MPG. I'm getting a combined 18-20 MPG a trip if I don't push the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2020, 01:43 AM
Leave no one behind

Mein Auto: 2015 228i Conv (F23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayone415 View Post
Just picked up less than 2 weeks ago. Car drives good, responsive, no shaking or hesitation or rough idling just loud especially on a cold start overnight. I'm assuming it's just from the direct injectors.

Oil change and filter was changed when I bought the car according to the maintenance report from the dealer. I added fuel injector cleaner, still have 3/4 of a tank left to burn (91 highest I have in CA).

Gas mileage is way under the estimated MPG. I'm getting a combined 18-20 MPG a trip if I don't push the car.
I have a '15 228i convertible, and last summer I drove it from here in San Diego to my family's place in Ohio. It averaged 31 mpg on the highway which is slightly lower than estimated, but not too bad.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:18 AM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayone415 View Post

Reset your mpg in iDrive and zero it on the instrument panel. Itís possible the car was pushed hard during test drives when the dealer had it. Also short drives donít give good gas mileage.

Enjoy your drive and take a long road trip to check your mpg. I get about 32 mpg on a trip of 400+ miles, going 80 mph average.
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2020, 10:08 AM

Mein Auto:
[/QUOTE]Reset your mpg in iDrive and zero it on the instrument panel. It's possible the car was pushed hard during test drives when the dealer had it. Also short drives don't give good gas mileage.

Enjoy your drive and take a long road trip to check your mpg. I get about 32 mpg on a trip of 400+ miles, going 80 mph average.[/QUOTE]

I reset both already and that's the MPG I'm getting and that was trying to get good MPG on eco mode. I had an AWD Audi A4 with an intake and HFC and a stage 2 tune, res delete and a few other mods and I still averaged 15-17 MPG pushing it hard with 21-24 PSI. My 228i is just rear wheel drive. I just wanted to see what others are getting before I have to try buying spark plugs, coil packs, and an air and fuel filter or possibly carbon cleaning.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2020 series 2 230i
tayone415 you don't indicate the car mileage. Something sounds off with the mileage you are getting. What part of the country are you located in and elevation? Here in the North East the cold and poor road conditions can lead to low mileage. If San Francisco (415)? then maybe the hills could lead to lower gas mileage. I'm in the 315 area code.

Last edited by Genod; 02-27-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genod View Post
tayone415 you don't indicate the car mileage. Something sounds off with the mileage you are getting. What part of the country are you located in and elevation? Here in the North East the cold and poor road conditions can lead to low mileage. If San Francisco (415)? then maybe the hills could lead to lower gas mileage. I'm in the 315 area code.
The car has 36,4xxx miles on it, even flat on eco and trying to go light on the gas the mpg is low. The car has been very responsive so I don't think I have an issue with air, spark or fuel delivery, but I haven't touched the car yet since I got rid of most of my tools when I was leasing cars for awhile. I don't know if a hydrocarbon cleaning is a good idea unless the shop shows me a borescope before?

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search