Morning startup - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 x5 v8 M adapative
Morning startup

What causes your engine to shake more than usual during the morning startup even if it isn't that cold outside?

I've experienced this in my N63 a little but have also heard this from my friend who has the newer B58 engine and a 2016 X5 inline 6. We had a couple high mileage 2014 E46 3.0 inlines in our day and those remained balanced even during cold climate winter start ups.

Last edited by chitown312; 05-31-2019 at 07:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto:
Morning startup

Any more details? - any work done to the car/mileage/unusual noises/smoke - bit hard to diagnose without a but more info...

Edit - spark plugs changed at all? Has the car had all the recalls done?

N63 E70 X5 2012

Last edited by B4_685; 06-02-2019 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown312 View Post
What causes your engine to shake more than usual during the morning startup even if it isn't that cold outside?

I've experienced this in my N63 a little but have also heard this from my friend who has the newer B58 engine and a 2016 X5 inline 6. We had a couple high mileage 2014 E46 3.0 inlines in our day and those remained balanced even during cold climate winter start ups.

Something is wrong with mixture IMO or spark plugs. B58 had some issues in the beginning. It is 2016, first tear of B58, there are usually infant issues at that stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 02:20 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Hook up an OBD reader and monitor the real time display of closed/open loop...does it smooth out when it clicks over to 'closed loop'?

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 06-02-2019, 02:35 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Motor mounts controlled hard or soft?

Engine mount control

The controllable engine mounts are switched to "hard" or "soft" corresponding to operating conditions.
Function

The pressure converter connects the engine mounts to the vacuum supply. When the DDE control unit activates the pressure converter, the pressure converter responds by applying vacuum to the engine mounts.

The engine mounts are switched to their soft setting at:

- low speeds (under around 60 kph) and
- below engine speeds that are dependent on the coolant temperature (the engine speeds are between 1000 rpm and 1200 rpm)
Whether the engine mounts respond to activation by switching to their hard or soft settings depends on the model series:

E65, E6x, E7x: hard.
E46, E53, E83, E9x: soft.
Fault handling

If a defect occurs in the activation of the pressure converter, a fault is stored.

The engine mount control is switched off faults occur to the following functions:

- Coolant temperature sensor signal.
- Message error speed.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:19 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
...how to take a $35 part and make it a $350 part....

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 06-03-2019, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 x5 v8 M adapative
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Engine mount control

The controllable engine mounts are switched to "hard" or "soft" corresponding to operating conditions.
Function

The pressure converter connects the engine mounts to the vacuum supply. When the DDE control unit activates the pressure converter, the pressure converter responds by applying vacuum to the engine mounts.

The engine mounts are switched to their soft setting at:

- low speeds (under around 60 kph) and
- below engine speeds that are dependent on the coolant temperature (the engine speeds are between 1000 rpm and 1200 rpm)
Whether the engine mounts respond to activation by switching to their hard or soft settings depends on the model series:

E65, E6x, E7x: hard.
E46, E53, E83, E9x: soft.
Fault handling

If a defect occurs in the activation of the pressure converter, a fault is stored.

The engine mount control is switched off faults occur to the following functions:

- Coolant temperature sensor signal.
- Message error speed.
I had no idea controllable engine mounts existed. My take is they are soft under low rpm(potentially cold start) conditions and then they harden up when at speed to stiffen the motor. I guess the industry thinks we need to complicate the motor mount for the sake of limiting vibrations. As with all add ons it's good until you need it replaced one day.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:14 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
I have particularly enjoyed having to learn all of the new systems in my X5 35d, some of which I had not heard of before. I had studied Woodward / Mach Effect reactionless space propulsion before I discovered our piezoelectric injectors that use a different implementation of the the same technology.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search