Ceramic or Not? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)

F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
F80 BMW M3 sedan, F82 BMW M4 coupe and F83 M4 convertible forum. This 5th generation M3 and all new M4 features a 3.0 liter twin turbo engine (engine code S55) 425hp and 406lbs of torque! Heavy use of light weight materials makes this generation lighter and faster then the outgoing E9x M3.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:58 PM

Mein Auto: GT3
Ceramic or Not?

I am in the market for an M4 and wanted some helpful feedback if I should get ceramics.
Can you guys help with some info on how long the pads last and do I need to worry about changing the discs?

I plan on using the car a daily, as well as weekend canyon drives and a few track events.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2019, 08:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
M's are heavy, nose-heavy, and top-heavy compared to Porsche's with similar power/weight ratios (and speed) and wheel diameters (and brake rotor diameters). So, the front brakes on M's can get hotter. An M5's brakes have to dissipate about 70% more energy than a 911's brakes.

If you're going on a race track (e.g. speeds ~150 MPH) as opposed to a hobby track, the ceramics are the best OE solution. There might be aftermarket conventional brakes that can do the job, though. As a rule of thumb, ceramic brakes last about three times longer, but they're way more than three times as expensive to replace. I'd price replacement ceramic rotors and pads before making a final decision. It's important to quantify the difference between the best solution and the best, cost-no-object solution.

I had the brakes fade out bad on an E90 M3 with conventional brakes at Road Atlanta. It was July, hot, and I was getting up to 140 MPH on the back dog leg before stomping on the brakes for the chicane at the end of the long dog leg. Dong the same thing in an F12 M6 with ceramic brakes at 160 MPH wasn't a problem... except for the tires melting. Despite brakes and tires melting... a fun day was had by all.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: Yas Marina Blue M4 Vert
My opinion...they aren't worth the extra money. As one of the previous posts stated, if the OE steel brakes get too hot on a track (I doubt you will have issues in the canyons unless you are WAAAAAAAY beyond safe driving on public roads). As previously stated also, there are good aftermarket solutions to upgrade the brakes for a lot less $$.

On the pro side of the argument, they do last longer and there is less brake dust to clean. I'm on my second M now and they do throw off a ton of brake dust. Not sure this is enough of a reason to spend so much extra on carbon ceramic brakes though.

In the end only you know how close you are going to drive the car to its limits to benefit from the extra $$$.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M3 & M4 > F80/F82/F83 M3 and M4 (2015 - Current)
Today's Posts Search