Transfer Case rebuild - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:04 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Transfer Case rebuild

2011 x5 50i N63.

Rebuild TC? just new fluid? New actuator motor? or new trans.....

A few months ago the X5 started to studder on take off. no steering input was needed, just straightline would make it feel like you were dropping the clutch repeatedly in a manual. it was essentially 'skipping'. It didn't seem to do it cold, but as soon as it warmed up it would start. it was definitely driveline and not engine and felt to be directly under your drivers seat butt. It got progressivley worse and I took it to the dealer and paid for the diagnosis, which just read that I needed a new transfer case.

I also took it to an independent that didn't want to replace the TC, becuase they weren't sure that was the issue, and the code reading showed nothing.

A couple months went by and it got steadily worse. The dealer wanted over 4k, the independent didn't want to do it, but it was about 2500 for a refurb with not guarantee to resolve.

So I pulled the TC and opened the case. No smokin gun but what I see as significant chaing slack.

Now i need to figure out what if anything in the TC to replace. The parts are expensive, so its a game of chance. chain? chain and gears? clutch pack?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9908.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	867309  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 04:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroasted View Post
2011 x5 50i N63.

Rebuild TC? just new fluid? New actuator motor? or new trans.....

A few months ago the X5 started to studder on take off. no steering input was needed, just straightline would make it feel like you were dropping the clutch repeatedly in a manual. it was essentially 'skipping'. It didn't seem to do it cold, but as soon as it warmed up it would start. it was definitely driveline and not engine and felt to be directly under your drivers seat butt. It got progressivley worse and I took it to the dealer and paid for the diagnosis, which just read that I needed a new transfer case.

I also took it to an independent that didn't want to replace the TC, becuase they weren't sure that was the issue, and the code reading showed nothing.

A couple months went by and it got steadily worse. The dealer wanted over 4k, the independent didn't want to do it, but it was about 2500 for a refurb with not guarantee to resolve.

So I pulled the TC and opened the case. No smokin gun but what I see as significant chaing slack.

Now i need to figure out what if anything in the TC to replace. The parts are expensive, so its a game of chance. chain? chain and gears? clutch pack?
Two clear options

Change the TC with the dealer and hope for the best or

Cut your loss and trade it in .
Old 10-07-2019, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Havenít some replaced a planet gear and the chain with success?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 08:29 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Kudo for pulling and opening a part you have no idea how to diagnose nor if it is bad. That's a power move!

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 10-07-2019, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp, '09 X5 3.0
Quote:
Rebuild TC? just new fluid? New actuator motor? chain? chain and gears? clutch pack?
This thread could be useful to you.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=889775
Old 10-07-2019, 08:50 AM

Mein Auto: 09 X5d - 06 325i
Have you unplugged the TC wiring and driven around in 2WD? I had a dealer tell me my TC was bad. I did the 2WD test and my issue did not go away. My issue was related to a failed engine ECU software update. Also, the xdelete app can be used to turn off the the transfer case. There are people who have permanently turned off their transfer case to save the cost of replacement.

I have rebuilt TCs in Jeeps before. Yes you are right that the parts can be expensive. More so than a complete used TC from ebay with a warranty. Just run the vins to get one compatible with your E70.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:35 AM

oh, well now you are on to something I wanted to ask as a follow up. Can I just convert that system to rear wheel only. With 315s on the back, it has more than enough push for the little street driving it does. If I could just delete the X of the X5 I am fine with that. Was wondering if anyone did that semi permanently.

Any detailed info on that option would be appreciated.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: '06 530xi 6sp, '09 X5 3.0
Quote:
315s on the back
Do your front and rear tires have the same revolutions per mile as in the tires spec'ed in the owner's manual?
Old 10-07-2019, 10:54 AM

These are stock tires and sizes.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twh View Post
This thread could be useful to you.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=889775
Thanks, saw that one during my research. That is what led me to shop for the clutch pack, but its 280 bucks w/o shipping, and then I wasn't sure if I needed the chain too or not, which is another 200.

That had we interested in just going 2WD.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto:
Similar symptoms in my 11 X5 3.5i. Transfer case replaced = Problem fixed. These seem to be a common failure point in the E70 chassis. Luckily it was covered under a third party warranty.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: X5 e70 4.8
I drove around in a rwd X5 for a week. But I took the front driveshaft out and did not touch the tc or its wires. You may want to do that too if you go rwd. On my 4.8 n62 that was only just doable, left exhaust was in the way, but on the n63 you may not be so lucky.

No problems, but in slippery conditions the dsc may not like it.

Report back on your powerslides pls.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deroy View Post

Report back on your powerslides pls.
ohoh, that just makes me want to try that! I have wanted to remove the front power from my Evo for the same reason for a while. hahahahaha

I have seen a couple of comments about disconnecting the front driveshaft, which is easy. Some other comments about disconnecting the electronic drive motor from the TC. Hoping to get some folks to chime in on what some may have tried.

The amount of metal shavings in my TC stuck on the magnet wasn't that much. Not like the other video where it had a shot glass worth of metal. Mine only had a reasonably amount of wear. A tiny finger tip worth. I was more concerned on what looked like a lot of chain slack.

I could put it all together with just new fluid, and if it doens't improve disconnect the front drive shaft, Or I buy the friction disks, and/or the disks and the chain before I put it back in.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: x5 35d e70 2011
Did you check inside the actuator? The gear gets stripped. Chain slack may be normal and you could be making a mountain out of a mole hill.

On the evo it may be problematic as the front is primary. Sti/ xdrive is rear primary direct connection.

Last edited by robnitro; 10-08-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 5
You might want to check out xDelete, the E70 is supported.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
My trusted Independent BMW shop states that most transfer case issues are due to the gear robnitro refers to. Thatís always the first thing to check because it is the most popular failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 10-08-2019, 08:48 AM

The actuator of the ATC 450 is electromagnetic. THe worm gear mechanism is inside of the housing. So that this setup isn't the usual item you see posted, and for which there are aftermarket metal gears, and a decent write up already. That gear too, looks to be in excellent condition.

Because of the electromagnetic setup research from various sources would indicate that the clutch pack and chain slack will have the unit juddering as load is inconsistent and it hunts. Had I known more before taking the TC out I would have taken the front drive shaft out first to make sure.

So I am doing it a bit backwards, but its where I am at. I am working replacing the clutch pacs and the chain, will put it back in, and if that doesn't resolve, then I will pull the front drive shaft and make sure its actually the TC for root cause.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markst View Post
You might want to check out xDelete, the E70 is supported.
Wow, I need to get that. How have I missed that. I have so much software for my other car I haven't gone the same route with the X5. Thanks for the link!
Old 10-08-2019, 05:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to ChezWhiz Send a message via MSN to ChezWhiz Send a message via Yahoo to ChezWhiz
Mein Auto: TBD
Sell it as fast as you possibly can. Search the forum for "N63".

Do not pass go, do not collect $200. JUST RUN away as fast as you can.
[Dead] 2012 X5 xDrive50i (CPO bought w/ 54K miles) w/ 89K miles (unknown cause for engine to seize with "unusual and severe scoring in #6 cylinder" found by dealer)
2017 330 i xDrive Grand Turismo
Old 10-08-2019, 07:46 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
chez... your n63 **ENGINE** issue was a classic oil/injector/lube failure.

nothing to do with the TC.

although i do agree with your general advice that N63s are risky cars to own. BMWs 'ccp' program was simply designed to move the failures out beyond the BMW warranty periods...

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Old 10-08-2019, 11:18 PM

Yeah, its got 150k on it, but on the second engine. hahahaha

I love it, but its not one for reliability or for folks that don't want to get dirty.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search