"Pre-Wired For BMW Security System" - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 05-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 BMW 325Ci Cabriolet
"Pre-Wired For BMW Security System"

Means what exactly? An emblem in my trunk insists I'm "Pre-Wired". I believe I can purchase a Plug-n-Play Module (from or for an E36) but where does it go? My thinking is under the Rear Seat as it did in my '92 525i. Is it that easy? What Security Module years are compatible?

Last edited by All2kool; 05-11-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Bimmer enthusiast

Mein Auto: 08 x5 3.0si
Not from what I've read. If you're going with stock alarm system, get the model that fits your car like i have a 98 328i with pre wire for alarm so i need to get the bmw alpine keyless remote entry system (found on ebay) and that goes from 96-98 e36 body styles. as for aftermarket... i won't dare hack my system just to have one.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E36, Imola ZHP
Its not that hard. There are two routes I would suggest.

1. buy either a BMW alarm system which will plug in, or a Stellar system.

2. Go the cheap way like I did and buy a universal alarm on ebay. If you go this route its not hard, go to a junk yard and find a 12 pin plug that is the female side of the alarm plug. I found mine under the rear seat of an
E34 5er. Then once you have this use a pin out like the one I posted and match the appropriate plug on the car. After that its just a matter of mounting the shock sensor (my alarm came with one) and mounting the LED.

P.S. your plug for the alarm could be behind the glove box also.

Good Luck

SYNracing Inc.

Last edited by 328ioc; 05-11-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Bimmer enthusiast

Mein Auto: 08 x5 3.0si
where would i dig up the wiring connector for the hood trigger? i had a hood switch but cant find a connector for it for the alarm harness.
Old 01-02-2018, 09:02 PM

Mein Auto: 92 525i e34 m50 touring l
Hi, I know this old! But, I have been looking for this single wire for the hood trigger for a long time and can't seem to find that black wire near the battery! I have wired everything in but the hood switch on my 92 525i e34 with m50. So if anyone knows where else to look please let me know! Thanks
Old 10-04-2019, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto:
old yes, and the newbie here is about to pull out what hair I have left and light the old E36 up...... Now I am at the 12 pin black plug. I have an aftermarket keyless entry ONLY from amazon. I have found the power, ground, and looks like pin 9 and 10 are the unlocks.... I can short them and make the car lock and unlock. I connect the keyless entry to them and I can only lock the car? Been at this for 2 days now. what am I missing? It cant be this difficult... Thanks in advance
Old 10-05-2019, 08:28 AM
John Firestone

Mein Auto: 1996 318is
As mentioned in the other thread, you need to apply 12V pulses to the unlock or lock inputs or both: to unlock, lock and double-lock (deadbolt) the car. To be safe, you can apply the 12V and probe a pin through, say, a 12.2K resistor. That way nothing exciting happens should you touch the wrong one.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf View Post
As mentioned in the other thread, you need to apply 12V pulses to the unlock or lock inputs or both: to unlock, lock and double-lock (deadbolt) the car. To be safe, you can apply the 12V and probe a pin through, say, a 12.2K resistor. That way nothing exciting happens should you touch the wrong one.

perhaps I'm trying to make it to complicated? DO I need to add a relay or Diode to the wiring, or show this pretty well work right out of the box?

Its like playing a slot machine. I can press the button on the remote and it locks and unlocks and may stop on locked, or may stop on unlocked..LOL Ive just left it in the garage unassembled and keep hoping ill have a genius moment and fix it..lol What I do know is I refuse to pay 300 and up to get someone to install a 20.00 keyless entry off amazon..lol Ill go back to the key first.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 10-08-2019, 01:05 PM
John Firestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessieo View Post
perhaps I'm trying to make it to complicated? DO I need to add a relay or Diode to the wiring, or show this pretty well work right out of the box?...
It depends on the stinginess of its maker which in turn can be influenced by the stinginess of its customers.

You want the keyless module to output 12V "positive pulse" lock and unlock pulses. See if the maker mentions a common for lock and unlock that you can wire to 12V (rather than ground).

If there was no money in the price for that flexibility, the keyless module may only output "negative pulse" lock and unlock pulses. It then becomes the customer's responsibility to pay for and wire up the two omitted relays.

Typically the pulses are 0.51 second long which you can detect and at least partly measure with a multimeter. Once you see those, you can try applying a constant 12V through a 1-2.2K resistor to the car's central module: to find the lock and unlock pins. Once you have found them, you can try the pulses from the keyless module on the pins.

The key to success (and not playing the slot machine) is to break the job down, understand and confirm each part works (the car, the keyless entry, and so on), then put everything together.

Last edited by johnf; 10-08-2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto:
Still at it...lol May I share this scan with you of the instructions for the keyless entry I purchased? It shows the the positive trigger is the white wire which is common, and that its the Close signal. It also shows the white wire with the black stripe as being the open signal, and a Normally open circuit.

so in my mind I should have the white/black wire connected to Pin #10 on the BMW which acording to the pin out above is the positive pulse unlock. The solid white wire is common (ground) so connect it to pin number 3 the chassis ground, along with the ground that actually ground the keyless entry box.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMWkeyless entry schmatic.pdf (227.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-09-2019, 10:19 AM
John Firestone

It is a bit of a dog's breakfast, but diagram C looks like what you want.

Keyless white wire to BMW alarm connector, X13025, pin 9.

Keyless white/black wire to BMW X13025 pin 10.

Keyless yellow and yellow/black wires to +12V.

Last edited by johnf; 10-09-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto:
That Absolute was the right combination. Thanks so much my friend. I have been working on that for 5 days.... Like I said I have installed in Mercedes and other stuff but never a BMW, and wow. I really appreciate it. can't wait to put it all back together now.lol
Old 10-10-2019, 05:09 AM
John Firestone

You are welcome. I am glad you got that sorted out.

And, I suppose, welcome to planet BMW.

Last edited by johnf; 10-10-2019 at 05:10 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search