Video module. Video INPUT possible? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 730i E65
Video module. Video INPUT possible?

Hi I have been looking at ways to display whatever i want on the screens in my 2005 730i lci.

I recently found the wiring diagram for the "Video module, analogue and digital TV: E60, E61, E63, E64, E65, E66, E70, E71, E90, E91, E92, E93"

Links to the pages: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-seats/1zzikjt

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ystems/24Ioyei

I have the Hybrid video module Type: DRIVE. since I have the rear entertainment system with digital and analogue TV with the Navigation, Night vision and DVD-Changer. With video in motion coded for the front MMI

Where I found the Pin assignment for connector X18804, 18-pin. There there appear to be video inputs on
- DVD Changer (pins 3 & 11)
- Night Vision (pins 1 & 10)
- Aux (pins 8 & 17) pin 8: FBAS (Composite video) signal from external video source (via AUX-in connection)
pin 17: FBAS wire earth for external video source (via AUX-in connection)

The only pinns that seem to be used in my car are the ones for the navigation and the DVD-Changer.

The only mention of this that I can find on the web is in this thread: https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=563704
Where It was not awnsered if one can connect an external video source to it.

So my question is if ANYONE know if it's possible to use it and if so if there is any coding required do do so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2018, 02:48 AM

Basically what I'm looking to do is get the iDrive to make the video module switch the input video source to the AUX/AV (fbas aka composite video) from pin 8 and 17.

(Just like it does when it is told to display the video source from the DVD-Changer (FBAS aka composite video) from pins 3 and 11 and send it to the display when the dvd menu is selected.)

And display it ether on the already existing AUX option in the iDrive or in a separate menu (named AV/source or whatever).

I'm guessing that it would be possible to just unplug the composite video source from the DVD-Changer and connect my own composite video plug instead and access it via the DVD menu.
BUT it would still play the sound from the DVD so that is not optimal...

I can't seem to find any option to activate that source in the mmigt module.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my E5603 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 02-22-2018, 04:53 AM

I have summarized some information that can be relevant to understanding how the system works For cars with the rear seat entertainment and navigation and DVD-Changer from the WDS:

Quote:
MOST port:

Control units for the television are programmed and encoded via the MOST port.
--------------------------------------------------
Diagnosis lead:

Control units for the television are diagnosed via the diagnosis lead.

Diagnosis-on CAN (D-CAN)
-----------------------------------------------

CD:*Control display:

> E65, E66

The control display is the screen for the television and other information and communication systems (e.g.*navigation system).

The Control Display is a control unit in the MOST network.
------------------------------------------------
DVD-C:*DVD changer:

The films on DVD use the components and software of the television.
SG-FD:*Rear display control unit:

The rear compartment controller control unit is only provided with option 603 ”Rear monitor”.

The SG-FD is installed beneath the rear display.

The SG-FD is a control unit on the K-CAN*system

The SG-FD converts the image signal into the screen display on the rear display: e.g.*RGB signals into LVDS signals.

The SG-FD is actuated by the video module.

Signal path: Video Module -> RGB wire -> SG-FD -> LVDS data wire -> FD
NAV:*Navigation system

> E65, E66

The navigation system is important for the equipment version ”TV in front”.

With the equipment variant ”Television in front”, the NAV control unit works as an RGB decoder:

The navigation system converts FBAS signals into RGB signals.

The navigation system is a control unit in the MOST network.

VM:*Video module

Depending on the national version concerned, either the hybrid video module or the video module*5 (VM5) is fitted.
(in my case the hybrid Drive is fitted)

Quote:
The video module is the central receiver unit for the picture signals from the TV aerials. In addition, the video module is a selector switch for the video sources.

The video module is the master control unit for the television.The video module edits the picture signals from the TV aerials and from the DVD drive or DVD changer.

The video module is a control unit in the MOST network.
-------------------------------------------------
The following wires are important:

FBAS wire:

FBAS: Farbbild-Austast-Synchronsignal,*
English CVBS: Composite Video Burst Synchronisation

The FBAS wire consists of 2*wires:

One wire is used to transmit all three 3*RGB signals (red-green-blue) together.

The synchronisation pulse (for a sharp TV picture) are also transmitted on the wire for RGB signals.

The other wire is used for screening and earthing.
LVDS data wire:

LVDS stands for ”Low Voltage Differential Signalling”.

There is always an LVDS data wire between the control unit for the display and the screen (except E83, E85, E86):

LVDS is a special technology for fast and secure data transmission:

There are 2 wires for each signal. The signal is transmitted positively on one wire, negatively on the other (inverted). This means that each pair of wires is electrically neutral.

Interference from outside has*no*effect on the signal transmission: such interference affects both wires equally. The signal information is thus unaffected. This is because: The control unit processes the difference between the positive and negative signals. This difference remains unchanged even in the event of interference from outside.

The LVDS data wire for the television consists of the following wires:

2 wires for red2 wires for green2 wires for blue2 earth wiresScreening

The synchronised pulses are transmitted on the wire for image signals.
RGB wire

The RGB wire has 3*wires for image signals: red-green-blue. The synchronised pulse is transmitted on the wire for the green signal.

The RGB wire is screened. The screening carries no current.

In addition, the RGB wire has its own earth wire for improved electromagnetic compatibility. The earth wire conducts current.
MOST bus

The MOST bus connects the control units for the vehicle's information and communication systems. These control units are programmed via the MOST port.
-------------------------------------------------
System functions:

The video module comprises the following functions:

Digital and analogue television in front and when the vehicle is in motion and at a standstill (only when video in motion is coded)

Television receptionImage build-up
Sound reception
Transmission of image signals in the vehicle
Audio output
Mute
Station selection

Aerial diversity (only with front and rear TV)

Aerial diversity for TV aerials is not a separate component, but rather a software component within the video module.

Video switch
(this is the part I'm interested in to be able to control the input source)
--------------------------------------------
Quote:
Transmission of image signals in vehicle

Image signals are transmitted as follows, depending on equipment fitted:

Front and rear seat television

The navigation system transmits its image data to the video module.

The image signals are transmitted between the SG-FD and rear display through a LVDS data wire.
---------------------------------------------
Video switch

The video module switchers between the various video sources, e.g.*between television and video.

This function is called ”video switch”.
(so my goal is to find out what triggers the video module to switch source and to which source)
Quote:
Adjusting screen settings

Users can adjust the screen settings for colour, contrast and brightness: Cal up the corresponding menu (with the controller on the CD or CID).

The controller controls the monitor settings.

Depending on the equipment specification, the screen setting is processed in the following control units:

Vehicles with television in the front:
For vehicles*with*navigation system, the screen setting is processed in the control unit for the navigation system (NAV).

Vehicles with rear display:

> E65, E66: The video module processes the monitor settings for the rear display.
(This part is interesting.)

VM:*Drive video module

The drive video module is located at the rear left in the luggage compartment, under the navigation computer. The drive video module is only used with option*603 ”Rear monitor" (e.g.*instead of video module 5).

The drive video module processes the video signals from the DVD changer and from the navigation computer. The drive video module has 3 TV tuners to ensure interference-free TV reception even while the vehicle is being driven.

This is why the system is designated "Drive": because the system can still be used in the rear while the vehicle is being driven.

The drive video module offers the following functions:

TV reception even while the vehicle is being driven (in rear only)
Data copying and output on both displays
Output of different entertainment sources on both displays

Decoding of FBAS (Composite Video Burst Synchronisation) signals with respect to colour
Connection of video camera possible (e.g.*for special solutions with individual equipment)

DVDC:*DVD changer or DVD multimedia changer

The DVD changer is located at the rear left in the luggage compartment, above the navigation computer. It is only possible to insert or remove the magazine from inside the luggage compartment.

The DVD changer is an advanced development of the CD changer. The DVD changer is not only able to play DVDs, but also any audio CD (multimedia-compatible).
The DVD changer has a MOST interface for transmitting digital audio data.

The image signals are transmitted to the video module via a FBAS wire.

The video module duplicates the data. The data are then sent on to the Control Display and the rear display control unit via a red-green-blue wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2018, 05:59 AM

I have discovered another option of getting an image to the screen since I have the Night vision system the camera is connected to the Navigation via an FBAS wire so I would be able to utilize that input for picture and since you are still able to have another sound source I could just connect to the AUX input for that.

But doing so would mean that I would loose the night vision...

This also explains why the FBAS input slot for the NIVI is empty at the video module. That connector is only used in systems with television and navigation, without rear entertainment.
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ystems/2Fg9oOY

This line is interesting found in the WDS for the night vision (THE LINK ABOVE)
Quote:
Note: Forced connection with DVD changer.

EURO version with option*611 ”BMW Night Vision”:*
A forced connection to option*603 ”Rear monitor” is provided with option*696 ”DVD changer”.

US version:*
A forced connection to option*603 ”Rear monitor” is always provided with option*696 ”DVD changer”.
Does anyone know what that might mean?
-----------------------------------------------------------

Some information found at this link:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ystems/1rC2WTu

Quote:
The night-vision electronics form the actual control unit for the system. The night-vision electronics convert the image signals from the night-vision camera into an FBAS signal (Composite Video Burst Synchronisation).

E65, E66: Depending on the equipment fitted, the FBAS wire is connected to the navigation system or the video module.
(for me that is the navigation system)

Quote:
NAV:*Navigation system

If the vehicle does not have a video module, or does have a rear entertainment system, the FBAS wire from the night-vision electronics will be connected to the navigation system. In such cases, the navigation system will transmit the image signals to the Control Display via an RGB wire.

Quote:
On vehicles with television and without rear entertainment, the FBAS wire from the night-vision electronics is connected to the video module.
I don't understand why they are connected differently but they are.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e65 730d
Hi,
I am also interested in development of this thread.
I would like among other things to connect Mpeg4 TV receiver... maybe from F01

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimdahers View Post
Hi,
I am also interested in development of this thread.
I would like among other things to connect Mpeg4 TV receiver... maybe from F01

I don't know how that would play with the other components in the car. so you might have to upgrade to the ccc/cic unit like someone have done from a newer car like you said or do some heavy programming.
The digital TV which is picked up by the hybrid video module in the E65 is Mpeg2 according to TIS.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbelito View Post
I don't know how that would play with the other components in the car. so you might have to upgrade to the ccc/cic unit like someone have done from a newer car like you said or do some heavy programming.
The digital TV which is picked up by the hybrid video module in the E65 is Mpeg2 according to TIS.

Or install a separate tv-tuner like in this video

But for me: I already have digital TV reception. So the only thing for me that is missing is an AV input like the one in the E38 and the F01.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:21 PM

I have made some new discoveries today. I managed to find some plugs that fit somewhat in connector X18804, plugged in a video source and tried all possible menus in the idrive but no video displayed no matter what.

So what it looks like I to have to do is either find how to cod and active that option. Just like the people were able to find out how to get video in motion by adding a bunch of code and activating the hidden option.
Or to try and costume program that function to the idrive menu and Video module.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: E66 760Li individual
U really need to message stuartjohn on here as he done alot of clever stuff and interrogating of this system including being able to add a custom reverse camera that allowed the video module to switch to it and display in the mmi screen along with the pdc picture so i would say he has an idea of what and how switches inputs in the video module etc .i too have the individual twin rear tv sytstem with a special lvds splitter and i also have night vision along with this too and digital 5 drive too.only issue i have is the video module is mpeg2 only and ireland is mpeg4 so i would like to be able to add an aftermarket input aswell .the 1 thing i noticed is the night vision has its input on the small white connector on the video module but this source is not selectable in the idrive but is forced on when u press the night vision button on the light module which leads me to believe that a current if some sort or can message forces the video module to switch the source and output it to the front mmi .so i wonder can we maybe find what it is and duplicate it to force it to display another input or such .

Sent from my SM-G390F using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 02-22-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish745 View Post
U really need to message stuartjohn on here as he done alot of clever stuff and interrogating of this system including being able to add a custom reverse camera that allowed the video module to switch to it and display in the mmi screen along with the pdc picture so i would say he has an idea of what and how switches inputs in the video module etc .i too have the individual twin rear tv sytstem with a special lvds splitter and i also have night vision along with this too and digital 5 drive too.only issue i have is the video module is mpeg2 only and ireland is mpeg4 so i would like to be able to add an aftermarket input aswell .the 1 thing i noticed is the night vision has its input on the small white connector on the video module but this source is not selectable in the idrive but is forced on when u press the night vision button on the light module which leads me to believe that a current if some sort or can message forces the video module to switch the source and output it to the front mmi .so i wonder can we maybe find what it is and duplicate it to force it to display another input or such .

Hi,
Stuart maybe is not so active now here as before. I also reas his awsome posts.
Night vision connection lead me think that maybe VM automatically enables viseo output whenever yhere is a signal. Night vision is controlled by the NVE ecu only.
It might be also that MMI receives CAN message, butmaybe just signal enables the picture

Old 02-23-2018, 04:31 AM

Yes I have read most of his posts about this stuff. But all the oem stuff only send the picture to the front mmi. Including the night vision camera. The only used input that is able to duplicate and send the picture to both screens is the DVD changer.

The night vision is connected differently depending on your other options.

On vehicles with television and navigation without rear entertainment the FBAS (s-video) cable from the nvi are connected to the video module on pin 1 and 10.

On vehicles without video module (VM), the FBAS wire is connected to the navigation system (NAV).

On vehicles with rear entertainment and navigation the FBAS wire is connected to the navigation system.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish745 View Post

Is your nigh vision connected to your video module or your Navigation system?

If it's connected to your video module, could you please do a readout of your MMI with NCS expert and send it to me so I can compare the coding in yours and mine to see if there's any difference between the ones connected to the VM and the NAVI.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbelito View Post
Is your nigh vision connected to your video module or your Navigation system?

If it's connected to your video module, could you please do a readout of your MMI with NCS expert and send it to me so I can compare the coding in yours and mine to see if there's any difference between the ones connected to the VM and the NAVI.
My night vision connection is to VM, but I still have issues...
See this
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t

Help wanted for retrofits into pre-faclifted e65

I can send the TRC file only in March 3rd or 4th. I am far from home now...

Old 02-23-2018, 04:57 AM

As i said already my night vision is connected to the input on the white connector on the video module .as my car is a res car .it is wired as follows like all res cars .the nav and dvd changer and night vision feeds into the
Video module where it outputs 2 rgb feeds 1 to the front screen and 1 to the rear sgfd its the video module that acts as the switch and switches what source goes where .as the night vision is fed into the video module so it leads me to think it gets a can message to switch it to the front mmi screen as y else would the feed be fed into the video module and not straight to the mmi screen and i think the reason for this is that u dont turn on the nightvisiin and the video module trys to override it and send a different source to it.ive yet to check uf the night vision when on cimes on the rear screen aswell .but if it doesnt u could say the night visiin is a front only input and can only be turned 9n by a can command

Old 02-23-2018, 05:18 AM

Strange, I to have the rear entertainment system and my night vision is connected to the navigation system and then fed to the video module per this diagram.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...ration/2Fg9oOY

Old 02-23-2018, 05:34 AM

I found something interesting when trying to find anything that is connected to pin 8 and 17 on connector 18804 (the white connector on the Video module)

I found the wiring for the OEM AV input in the E60. The interesting thing is that it's connected to tin 1 and 10 in the 18804 connector for the same video module.
Which if you have the Night Vision in the E60 it is connected to the same pins. So I guess you can only have either of them.

But I will investigate how it is coded differently for the two options and if that's something that can be done in the E65

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...socket/i9JoVTr

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e60-530i-lim/i4VNcaU

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...camera/ifyVKRd
Old 02-23-2018, 05:55 AM

Strange .il check mine again over the weekend il take the covers off and go through it again as i have dab module im retrofitting as only optiin my car dont have because it was only available later on

Old 02-24-2018, 01:04 AM

I tried to connect my video input cable to the input for the NIVI (pin 1 and 10 in connector 18804) instead but that didn't work at all. When I pushed the Night Vision button it just started the regular night vision.

Then I tried disconnecting the video cable from the dvd changer and connecting my video source instead. pin 3 and 11.

Only then did it show me my input extremely unstable when selecting DVD.
The unstablenes might be due to me using a bad video source which is connected to a 12v Dc to 230v Ac converter that I know can create some distortion. So I'm gonna try and connect my play station 3 and connect it to the wall power outlet.
If that's not working it might be due to some different syncing used in the car or a bad connection to my homemade cable.

Old 02-24-2018, 01:22 AM

Was actually gonna suggest try this lol .but would it not be eàsier in the long run to splice into the dvd changer input and add a aux into it aling with a switch so u can select what source u display in the dvd selection on the mmi .i know its not what u want as ideally i think ur looking to be able to add an extra input thats selectable frim the idrive .but correct me if im wrong would it not just be easier to add a video interface to the rear if the mmi and only requires a hold of the idrive knob to select .

Old 02-26-2018, 05:40 AM

The problem with splicing in to the dvd input is that you will not be able to have your own sound as it will continue to play the sound from the dvd. Because the sound data is sent digitaly over the MOST network.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:52 AM

Yeah i forgot about sound over most .so ideally its the nightvision input u want as theirs no sound over that but then u still need sound input .what about the removing the dvd changer and fitting the mmc2 which is same dvd changer except sound is sent over cvbs theirs no most connction .i dont know though seems like so much hassle now

Old 02-27-2018, 03:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E65 730D
Hi,

I have accompanied this topic ...
I have a question:
My tv has no reception with quality. The signal is very weak in this part of the country ....

It is possible to connect a dvd player that gives image and sound instead of tv.
The purpose is to select the tv option on the display, but instead of getting the picture and sound noise, get picture and sound from a dvd player.

Basically what you want is like cutting out the picture and sound wires from the tv module and plugging in a dvd player. But keeping the video / tv module and the tv option on the display.

Does anybody know if this is possible?
I think replacing the output image should be simple .... But how will it sound?
Old 02-27-2018, 06:52 AM

U can retrofit the original 6 disc dvd changer from the e65 into any e65 and get it to display on front or rear screen with or without the rear entertainment package .so in the idrive where u see the options list radio .tv etc u will see dvd and u select it as normal and it plays dvds on the screen have done 4 of these without issues .just make sure u get yhe most veraion dvd changer
Their is a retofit thread i this section
Just search dvd changer retrofit by stuartjohn

Old 02-28-2018, 01:12 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E65 730D
I cheked Stuart thread... (unfortunatly the pics are no longer available....)

But i still have one question.... In my menu, i only have TV option... No DVD option...

Car had the DVD changer.... but when i bought it, it was not there... Maybe previous owner removed it due to malfuncion....

Does this means it must be programmed? Or by some magic it will recognize the dvd changer?
Old 02-28-2018, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: E65 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochahe View Post

But i still have one question.... In my menu, i only have TV option... No DVD option...

Car had the DVD changer.... but when i bought it, it was not there... Maybe previous owner removed it due to malfuncion....

Does this means it must be programmed? Or by some magic it will recognize the dvd changer?
Hey, you must coding FA $696, into CAS and LMA. After this a empty .MAN over CAS, LMA, MMIGT, ASK.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search