Bad driving for sure.... - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:19 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Bad driving for sure....

"Distracted" driver...buries it into truck on 3 lane road:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/distracte...163825622.html

Im not sure it was 'distracted driving'

Thoughts?

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 07:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to SJTrance
Mein Auto: BMW 328i
Itís weird because if he was on the phone or something, why would they accelerate like that?

Life is too short and youth is even shorter. Live it up!!!
Old 04-11-2019, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 xDrive35d
Some kind of seizure maybe? When I was in my twenties, I was getting some severe sinus headaches all of the sudden from pollen, when in the past I never had severe allergies from pollen. But there were a couple scary moments where my sinus pain was so severe and happened almost instantly that I was on the highway and my vision got a little blurry and I saw "stars" for a split second. I got off at the next exit ramp and sat there for about 15 minutes before driving again. Eventually went to the hospital to find out it was from sinus allergies.
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2019, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: Jeep
It looks like they were going way to fast and didn't expect the truck to move over a lane. Or at leas to me it looks like it goes from three to two lanes.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Iím guessing it was in cruise control, they werenít paying as close attention as they should have been, then put their foot on the gas rather than the brake.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 04-11-2019, 10:27 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABoismenu View Post
It looks like they were going way to fast and didn't expect the truck to move over a lane. Or at leas to me it looks like it goes from three to two lanes.
This is kinda my thinking too.

Check out the movement of the truck through the whole video- kinda changes lane, but not really, but then back.

Car driver was going WAY too fast, and had been lulled into a sense of 'ive got plenty of room'. But the truck wanders back and forth combined with that lane ending.

I mean youve seen the youtube vidoes of the lambo (and other) morons weaving through traffic and into each other when their 'hole' closes and they are going too fast...

OE is Original Equipment aka 'BMW Original Parts' aka 'What you buy at the BMW dealer with a BMW label'

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer... EITHER the company that made the OE part or.... A part this is identical to the OE part, but is sold by the OEM under their own label

OEM is not what BMW sells

http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/T...ricks_OEM.html

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/t-OEvsOEM

Last edited by ard; 04-12-2019 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:06 AM

Mein Auto: E36 M3. E46 325i, E70 35d
Definitely NOT distracted driving, unless you consider being incompetent / willfully negligent to be a "distraction"... Classic case of an incompetent / willfully negligent driver who's over confident in their abilities because they're driving a "sporty" car that doesn't actually handle quite as well as they thought...

Going way too fast for traffic conditions (willfully negligent), passing a bunch of left lane cars while in the right hand lane (willfully negligent), negligently attempted to pass the truck, again on the right hand side, that was previously in the far right lane who merged into what appeared to be a center lane, didn't realize that the far right lane was ending, swerved a bit too aggressively for what the X6 can do, panicked because car behaved a bit unsettlingly w/ a bit more steering input than this incompetent driver was comfortable controlling / has never experienced, slammed strait into the back of the truck after a bit of bobbling / indecision in what to do, where they could have still more than eeked by on right side of the truck without a collision (just a well earned bruise to ego), but the white lines confused the driver's feeble little brain, so the best panic decision their little tiny brain could muster, while out of its element & ability, was to simply "hope" that pressing the brakes hard & driving strait into the back of the truck would somehow end well...

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes... This incompetent individual deserved that crash for a harsh & needed reality check... No tears from me if they were seriosly injured or killed by a good lesson learned...

Last edited by SPL15; 04-12-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
That was likely a NYDOT truck that he/she hit. My theory is the BMW driver was pissed about all those NY potholes (as seen in the video before the crash). Maybe the BMW driver had one too many wheels bent or one too many Goodyear LS2 RFT's bubble up, and finally had enough.

There are two controls in use when driving, the steering wheel and one of the pedals. An unskilled driver often can only change his/her input on one control at a time, and that's usually the steering wheel. If the steering wheel is not working (no traction on the front wheels), doing something with the pedals is the appropriate action. But instead, an unskilled driver will just turn the steering wheel more into the direction they want to go.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:04 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Meme; BMW drivers bad; is reinforced.

I learned again just how wonderful is my crippled no performance browser. It showed just a teaser of the second before the impact and a couple of seconds of the consequences, not enough to make sense of the comments above. So I switched to a more common and capable browser and was forced to watch a full 30 seconds of carp video advertisement in order to see three replays of the full approach, crash, and rollover. Then more ad and another video. I had to dump the cookies to see the 'BMW' and by then I was irritated.

I'm on a 100 Mbps connection and still ...

We can be as careful as we can on the highway and still the other idiot will get you.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Meme; BMW drivers bad; is reinforced.

I learned again just how wonderful is my crippled no performance browser. It showed just a teaser of the second before the impact and a couple of seconds of the consequences, not enough to make sense of the comments above. So I switched to a more common and capable browser and was forced to watch a full 30 seconds of carp video advertisement in order to see three replays of the full approach, crash, and rollover. Then more ad and another video. I had to dump the cookies to see the 'BMW' and by then I was irritated.

I'm on a 100 Mbps connection and still ...

We can be as careful as we can on the highway and still the other idiot will get you.
That describes ninety percent of highway accidents.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:43 AM
Kinda officially welcomed

Mein Auto: E70 LCI 35d
The parkway went from 3 to 2 lanes and the truck was merging into the proper lane. What I have seen MANY times is someone coming from behind (BMW) and passing the merging cars on the outer parts of the lane or shoulder. I saw this Sunday by a driver in a Audi Q7, here in NY as well. Except that person was able to do it, on the shoulder of course.

E39 528i/5 Sport
E28 535is
E84 X1 35ix M package
E38 740i Sport
E39 M5 LMB/Blk
Old 04-12-2019, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyc Dito View Post
The parkway went from 3 to 2 lanes and the truck was merging into the proper lane. What I have seen MANY times is someone coming from behind (BMW) and passing the merging cars on the outer parts of the lane or shoulder. I saw this Sunday by a driver in a Audi Q7, here in NY as well. Except that person was able to do it, on the shoulder of course.
I am guilty of the same. Tried to test my 400 hp X5
Old 04-12-2019, 06:45 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Shoulder and non-travel lane is where the trash, glass and nails are - just waiting for your tires.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:33 AM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
The lesson for everyone is PAY ATTENTION, eh?
formerly '69 BMW 2002 and '67 BMW 2000CS
Old 04-16-2019, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535iGT xDrive
I refer to crashes like that (notice that I did not say accident) as driving under the influence of stupidity. Odds are that he (or she) was screwing around with their phone as that is the most prevalent cause of crashes these days.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search