Unusual Water Leaks - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 09-14-2019, 04:38 AM

Mein Auto:
Unusual Water Leaks

Hello!

I've been having a bit of water leaks after the hurricane and now whenever it rains in my 2014, 428i. I didn't notice any leaks prior to the hurricane. My whole footwell carpets don't get wet everywhere, the wetness is only by the area where the door sills are.

I've sat in my car when it rains and didn't see any leak from the above but I can feel the carpet by the door sills getting wet as it rains. It was raining hard last night so I was anxious to check my carpet this morning and they're dry, no wet spots.

I don't know what's causing this inconsistent leaks. Any ideas? Thank you.

Last edited by Glacier82; 09-14-2019 at 04:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 06:01 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
The USUAL leaks are sunroof and door membrane.

Maximize entropy.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 550i M-Sport~2015 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
The USUAL leaks are sunroof and door membrane.

Maximize entropy.
This^

BMW= gradual decline into disorder or complexity is the enemy of reliability. Your mileage may vary.

Pull the bottom of the door panels and check if wet behind. If not then it's your sunroof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto:
I don't see any water dripping from the roof, could it be the vapor barrier aka sound insulating foam?

I also got my windshield replaced 2 months ago, my mechanic did a water test on windshield and found no leaks.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport 6sp MT
With carpets getting wet near the door sills suspect water vapor barrier in door has come loose.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto:
Thank you! I've been searching and youtube and it looks like vapor barrier.

Any idea why the carpet is not consistently getting wet every time it rains? It rained hard last night and this morning when I checked carpets they were dry so I'm really confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDunes View Post
With carpets getting wet near the door sills suspect water vapor barrier in door has come loose.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto:
I filed a claim with State Farm and was told I have to take car to BMW to diagnose what exactly caused the leaks. If it's normal wear and tear, they will not pay but if it's due to hurricane, they will.

I have appointment on Monday for inspection and rain test at dealer. BMW is charging $265 for inspection.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport 6sp MT
This is relatively easy to DIY repair and only takes your time, trim tools, basic hand tools and some adhesive. The fee they are charging for inspection should cover repairing yours but they will insist on replacement which is even more costly.
Old 10-13-2019, 05:21 AM

Mein Auto:
Passenger side carpet only get wet after torrential rain. I did a water test by holding the water nozzle on the window for 10 mins. Checked carpet and no wet spot. Would water gotten in and wet carpets if vapor barriers were bad? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDunes View Post
This is relatively easy to DIY repair and only takes your time, trim tools, basic hand tools and some adhesive. The fee they are charging for inspection should cover repairing yours but they will insist on replacement which is even more costly.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:01 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacier82 View Post
I don't see any water dripping from the roof, could it be the vapor barrier aka sound insulating foam?

I also got my windshield replaced 2 months ago, my mechanic did a water test on windshield and found no leaks.
A failed sunroof drain does not “drip[ ] from the roof.” The sunroof drains are at the front and rear left and right corners and drain down the nearest pillar. In the pillars are joints between sunroof cartridge and body side tubing, where the drain water overflows when the tube clogs.

To “maximize entropy” means to not guess and eliminate any other possibility.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Stop the sniping Doug and others. You are not adding to the conversation.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Hello!

I've been having a bit of water leaks after the hurricane and now whenever it rains in my 2014, 428i. I didn't notice any leaks prior to the hurricane. My whole footwell carpets don't get wet everywhere, the wetness is only by the area where the door sills are.

I've sat in my car when it rains and didn't see any leak from the above but I can feel the carpet by the door sills getting wet as it rains. It was raining hard last night so I was anxious to check my carpet this morning and they're dry, no wet spots.

I don't know what's causing this inconsistent leaks. Any ideas? Thank you.
Another thing to check is the door's vapor barrier, is there recent work that needed the barrier uninstalled?
Old 10-13-2019, 11:12 AM

Mein Auto:
No but car did have paintless dent removal done 2 months ago.

I held water nozzle on window for 10 minutes and carpet was not wet. If vapor barrier was bad, wouldn't water from nozzle gotten into the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Another thing to check is the door's vapor barrier, is there recent work that needed the barrier uninstalled?
Old 10-13-2019, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto:
New windshield was also replaced 3 months ago.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
No but car did have paintless dent removal done 2 months ago.

I held water nozzle on window for 10 minutes and carpet was not wet. If vapor barrier was bad, wouldn't water from nozzle gotten into the car?
Very likely PDR guy did take out the vapor barrier to get behind body panel.

New windshield can have leaks too if not done right. Does your side windows fog up during rain after installing new windshield?

One option is to remove the door panel to check per this video, or try 20-30 minutes with nozzle around door and new windshield to check.

Old 10-13-2019, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto:
I called PDR guy and told him about my water leaks on the side he worked on. He said he didn't remove vapor barrier or working behind window glass. He only worked on the outside of the glass when window is rolled up.

Side window did not frog up but windshield does frog up after it rains and humidity rises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Very likely PDR guy did take out the vapor barrier to get behind body panel.

New windshield can have leaks too if not done right. Does your side windows fog up during rain after installing new windshield?

One option is to remove the door panel to check per this video, or try 20-30 minutes with nozzle around door and new windshield to check.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search