Active steering woes - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 09-24-2019, 03:48 PM
Living the dream.

Mein Auto: 2004 645 convertible
Active steering woes

The system malfunction indicator or inactive comes on constantly. On several occasions, the steering wheel has repositioned itself to a 90* angle. That was fun.

The system will self correct itself as I drive, then go out again. When I stop and restart the car it's ok for varying amounts of times. Sometimes weeks, sometimes it's a few miles of driving.

the Volts vary from 13.7 to 14.1.
Would a weak belt or faulty belt tensioner throw the power steering off and cause a malfunction.
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2019, 04:57 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: BMW 640i SE Convertible
Firstly check you have no leaks or a very low fluid levels in the reservoir, they can develop a leak, there are a number of posts on this issue!!

Always said I would go back to a 6 series
Old 09-25-2019, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
The system malfunction indicator or inactive comes on constantly. On several occasions, the steering wheel has repositioned itself to a 90* angle. That was fun.

The system will self correct itself as I drive, then go out again. When I stop and restart the car it's ok for varying amounts of times. Sometimes weeks, sometimes it's a few miles of driving.

the Volts vary from 13.7 to 14.1.
Would a weak belt or faulty belt tensioner throw the power steering off and cause a malfunction.
When the engine is 1st started it is mainly running off the battery. A baterty with low voltage will cause the steering to act funny. Measure your battery voltage before starting the engine with the lights on, & charge the battery before driving the car. Measure your steering fluid just to make sure it is not low, then turn the steering wheel 3 times to the left, back to the right. This will help purge any air out of the steering system. If you have ISTA, show us the listed faults. This is not belt related.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2019, 09:27 AM
Living the dream.

11.8 with the light off
11.6 with the lights on for a few minutes.
The fluid is low. Only the every edge of the stick has fluid on it.

What is the proper fluid to put in here??

As far as I can tell the car doesn't leak any type of oil or antifreeze.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2019, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
11.8 with the light off
11.6 with the lights on for a few minutes.
The fluid is low. Only the every edge of the stick has fluid on it.

What is the proper fluid to put in here??

As far as I can tell the car doesn't leak any type of oil or antifreeze.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Your battery needs charging or replacing? The steering reservoir take Pentosin CH-11S, & can be found in most auto parts stores. Sometimes the steering will leak at the steering ball area near the pump. The boot can be backed off, clean the area very good, then take some silicone on the inside of the boot to keep it from leaking. This is a very clear yellow oil, the new might have a green tint.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:29 PM
Living the dream.

It looks like I just needed fluid. It took almost half a can. After driving it on and off the past week or so I haven't had any issues. Thanks to all that helped me out.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:53 AM
Michael

It is always good when you get feedback from any advice given, good you have not corrected the issue. Bear in mind what HerbP mentioned about your battery, batteries being one of the weakest elements of these cars

Always said I would go back to a 6 series
Old 10-08-2019, 05:42 PM
Living the dream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 645/333 View Post
It is always good when you get feedback from any advice given, good you have not corrected the issue. Bear in mind what HerbP mentioned about your battery, batteries being one of the weakest elements of these cars
I have noticed the more I drive the car the better it runs. I have had it for over a year and have only put about 7000 miles on it. When it does sit, I try to drive it at least every 2 weeks, otherwise, I get a lot of wacky messages and errors. The car came with a new battery too. I dunno if changing it is going to really help.
Old 10-08-2019, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

When you drive the car it charges the battery, unless you take very short trips. Short trips do not replenish the battery voltage, & it spirals downward until you see all of the flashing lights. If the car does not go to sleep at night, the battery has a continuous drain on it.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:43 AM
Michael

As HerbP mentions the battery condition is essential to these cars. Do you know if the battery was registered to the car when changed? This is important on these cars, secondly you should get into the habit of charging the battery to full charge once per week if low usage. I also believe that consistent low battery charge puts a strain on other components leading to multiple issues but still a single cause.

Last edited by 645/333; 10-09-2019 at 01:44 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 650I Convertible
My car sits in the garage for months at a time, but it is cycled with my battery tender among my Harley and dodge... I NEVER have any gremlins with it and I give credit to the battery tender..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0097.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	867517  
Old 10-09-2019, 10:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Mini, 1 Vespa
+1 on battery maintenance for cars that are not driven regularly.
My first 8 years with the car, I was putting about 7k miles on it a year and I used a battery tender if it would sit for more than a week to 10 days. Never had an issue.
The last 2 years the car has been in France so I only get to drive it a few weeks or days (depending on length of trip) at a time three to four times a year with several months in between. It is hooked to a battery tender between trips and so far no issues. I get to see how it does with four months of inactivity in three weeks. Fingers crossed.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search