Car won't start after new starter install - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-30-2019, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: E46 323i
Car won't start after new starter install

Hey guys, well I replaced my starter myself. I was quoted something like $960 to do it, figured I'd learn to do it my own way. I finished it up, needed to get a new battery, car turned on fine. I drove it about 15 miles total after (everything ran smooth, no issues whatsoever). My dad took it for a quick grocery run one day and when he came back out the store, the car wouldn't start. The engine or starter is making a whirring noise, quiet. Nothing mechanical, rough sounding. When I went to unplug the battery, I realized that one of my aftermarket amp wires had come loose, I believe on that same day that this happened. Do you guys think I shorted a fuse/relay maybe?

The fuel pump is new, maybe 6 months old. The Bosch starter is new, I bought it online. Battery turns on just fine. But when i turn the key, just hear the whirring. Engine oil is fine, tank is full. I'm stumped. Tried to find suggestions online and I can't find anything concrete. Here is a video of the issue:

Thanks for the help in advance.

EDIT: I checked the fuses and replaced the 20A 3rd fuse, in the 5 fuse box under the hood just in case. Still the same behavior. Anything else I need to look at? I'm so tired of the car sitting around. I finally moved it after 4 months of it being dead, when I fixed the starter in spare time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 06:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E46 330Ci 5MT
You may have installed it incorrectly, watch the 50sKid on YouTube for the best tutorial
Old 10-01-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLarenBMW View Post
You may have installed it incorrectly, watch the 50sKid on YouTube for the best tutorial
I spoke to a mechanic and he said there is NO way of installing it incorrectly? Goodness, if I have to remove all that stuff again, that is going to be a pain in the a**.

Any tips for changing a starter if you've done it yourself? I may have gotten a bad starter too? Does it sound like that?

-Nevil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
As far as I can tell, there is not a single thing I did incorrectly after watching the video. But, here's an important part.. When I was removed the starter, the two wires that go to the solenoid were on tight. One of the rings snapped when I was removing it, I fear that it may have broken off again (after I fixed it and replaced it with another o shaped connector). I assume if one of the wires isn't running to the starter, the car won't turn on.

I will open it up later tonight and update. If you can think of anything else, please let me know.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E46 330Ci 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventador_nb View Post
Quote:
As far as I can tell, there is not a single thing I did incorrectly after watching the video. But, here's an important part.. When I was removed the starter, the two wires that go to the solenoid were on tight. One of the rings snapped when I was removing it, I fear that it may have broken off again (after I fixed it and replaced it with another o shaped connector). I assume if one of the wires isn't running to the starter, the car won't turn on.

I will open it up later tonight and update. If you can think of anything else, please let me know.
Very weird, I just watched your video and you can clearly hear the starter spinning but it seems like it's just spinning freely and not making proper contact with the engine
Old 10-01-2019, 02:04 PM
Need for Speed

Mein Auto: '05 BMW 330i
Correct, it is not engaging the flywheel.
Aventador do you have the small wire on the correct post? Because if you put it on the wrong post, the starter will spin, and the solenoid will never energize to engage the bendix.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Very weird, I just watched your video and you can clearly hear the starter spinning but it seems like it's just spinning freely and not making proper contact with the engine
I definitely agree, just can't put my finger on the problem. I know I installed correctly because I aligned with the peg and the car turned on after install as well. I drove the car quite a bit (well 4 times for a total of maybe 15 miles) before it stopped turning again.

Old 10-02-2019, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy D View Post
Correct, it is not engaging the flywheel.
Aventador do you have the small wire on the correct post? Because if you put it on the wrong post, the starter will spin, and the solenoid will never energize to engage the bendix.
Well it worked initially for a few days, the wires were attached to the right posts. But, I fear that when I broke one of the wires (the o-shaped clamp) when I was removing the starter, I may not have fixed it well enough and the wire may have broken at that attachment now. If the wire is disconnected, it won't engage surely.

I will be opening it up today and checking it out, thanks for your help!
Old 10-02-2019, 02:07 AM

Mein Auto: 01 325i sedan 222,222 mi
What brand starter?
Although I think your wire issue needs to be looked into.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2019, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADF15H View Post
What brand starter?
Although I think your wire issue needs to be looked into.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
It's a Bosch starter I bought online, new. I started worrying that maybe I got a faulty starter, but why would it have started in the first place?

I think it's the wire issue, I'll be opening it up today and checking it out. Thanks for the reply

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search