Off-Topic: Meet the newest member of my automotive family... - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-07-2019, 07:02 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
Off-Topic: Meet the newest member of my automotive family...

Everyone, meet Etsuko (Japanese name that means "child of happiness").

It is a 2002 Honda CB900F 919 Hornet with just over 42,000 miles and lemme tell you... this thing is wild. It will pull 0 to 60 in roughly 3.3 seconds with the current mods and gets as good as gas mileage as my wife's now-dead Prius. My buddy and I drove a little over an hour and a half to pick it up and I feel like I got a good deal on it. It needs a few little maintenance items done, but it's nothing insane.

I may invest in a GoPro and take some riding videos to show you guys what some of our roads are like and maybe narrate some of my rides (like a moto-vlog or something?). However, I'll need a new computer before I get into all that, so it may be a good while until that happens.

Before anyone asks, I ride ATGATT (All The Gear, All The Time) because I want to reduce the severity of injuries in the event something were to happen. I do what I can to ride defensively and try to stay clear of cars the best I can, but there's only so much I can do. It's all up to the other guys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 12:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330ci
And here I was expecting a picture of a pet or infant, lol!

Looks like a lot of fun!

2004 330ci w/ sport package, 6 spd manual

Modifications: 3.46 differential, Pedalbox throttle signal amplifier, Active Autowerke performance software, Bilstein HDs, B&M short shifter, Zhp shift knob

2006 650i convertible in stratus gray
Old 10-07-2019, 02:38 PM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Davis View Post
And here I was expecting a picture of a pet or infant, lol!

Looks like a lot of fun!
It's not quite as fun as four cats and a dog, but it's a lot more fun than the thought of a toddler in my house!

It has some extra fun stuff on it as well.
  • Power Commander III
  • Scorpion slip-on exhaust
  • Different sprockets for lower gearing
  • LED taillight with integrated turn signals
  • LED flush-mount front turn signals (one of which strobes for some reason)
  • LED license plate lights (which need to be re-wired)
  • Renthal handlebars

The first thing I'm doing is replacing the headlight bulb with an LED bulb. I thought about getting one of those 7" LED replacement lights, but from what I've read about this particular bike, there has to be some extra modification to the headlight housing that I don't want to mess with right now.

I'm taking it in to get the fork seals and bushings replaced in the next couple days. I may have them change the oil while they're in there so that's one less thing I have to worry about.

In the future, I'll be looking at a larger windshield for potential road trips. If I do invest in the windshield, that means I'll be ready to take a trip, which also means I'll be changing out the sprockets to lower my highway RPM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2019, 03:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 325ci
I take it that your e46 is now slow and unexciting as compared to this. Let me know if I could help by taking it off your hands.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:38 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meinbills View Post
I take it that your e46 is now slow and unexciting as compared to this. Let me know if I could help by taking it off your hands.
You probably won't like the price I'll toss out there...
Old 10-08-2019, 08:38 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2003 330ci (5 speed)
Great looking bike sir! Been super busy but Id like to come see it. You can take me for a ride......think this.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AA30C5C6-2B93-453B-9CEB-50B50C5B80B6.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	867497  
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 10-09-2019, 06:20 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

You know... I almost considered buying one of these (click) just to fart around the neighborhood on and possibly teach Mrs. SPDSKTR how to ride something motorized with two wheels.

Also, the bolts and washers to mount my seat should be coming in soon. The nimrods either forgot to include them or didn't mention that it wasn't included.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:19 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2003 330ci (5 speed)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
You know... I almost considered buying one of these (click) just to fart around the neighborhood on and possibly teach Mrs. SPDSKTR how to ride something motorized with two wheels.

Also, the bolts and washers to mount my seat should be coming in soon. The nimrods either forgot to include them or didn't mention that it wasn't included.
Family is out of town and I am on vacation till Tuesday next week. Friday or Sunday I am free for sure if you want help.
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 10-09-2019, 01:34 PM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Family is out of town and I am on vacation till Tuesday next week. Friday or Sunday I am free for sure if you want help.
Ah, crap. We're going camping this weekend.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:34 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
NICE ride.... back in another lifetime, I put up with the eccentricities of several Britbikes (most problems came from those bloody Lucas electrics ) until I bought a Kawasaki KZ-1000....never looked back on Britbikes after that....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 10-10-2019, 08:47 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
NICE ride.... back in another lifetime, I put up with the eccentricities of several Britbikes (most problems came from those bloody Lucas electrics ) until I bought a Kawasaki KZ-1000....never looked back on Britbikes after that....
British and Italians. They make great machines, but their natural habitats are either on the backs of flatbeds, on jack stands, or on lifts.

I'd like to get a touring/adventure bike later on... something I can take on a long haul trip. Ideally, I'd love a BMW, but I may have to settle for a Versys or something. I wouldn't be opposed to a Honda, but it all depends on where I'm at in a few years.

I'm hoping I get my bike back soon. The LED bulb showed up, so now I just need to install it.

Oh... the mechanic is also going to verify what sprockets I have on there while he's poking around the bike. Stock, it came with 16-tooth in the front and 43-tooth in the rear. I'm almost confident the previous owner(s) changed it to a 15 in the front and 44 in the rear. The gears are very short and at 70 MPH, I'm at something like 5,200 RPM, which is just too much for long hauls. The bike does great around the city, but any interstate time is worthless. I'm tempted to get a 17 in the front and, if needed, go back to a 43 in the rear. It ought to drop my highway RPMs to a much more manageable level.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search