ISO someone who has INPA in the Southern NH/ Maine area - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i Coupe
ISO someone who has INPA in the Southern NH/ Maine area

lookiing for someone who is very familure with BMW diagnostic software AND how an N62 motor should run. Been chasing a hesitation for a few years, replaced several things, tried 2 different diagnostic softwares and been to 3 garages. Hoping to meet up with someone that can take a look at this.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2019, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
It sounds like you have either something wrong with the MAF sensor, or your Vanos solenoids are not working properly. Try unplugging the MAF sensor, & see if it will run with limited power without bogging? Do you have a cable for INPA?
Old 10-09-2019, 08:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
What fault codes do you have? Age and mileage of plugs? Coils? O2 sensors? Need more info. Describe the hesitation? At startup or later? Trust Herb and Iíll try to help too.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 02:28 AM

Ok, I will try unpluging the MAF. What exectlly should I expect?

I have replaced the VANOS solenoid orings swapping intake with exhaust when reinstalling thinking if I had a questional solenoid I would have different symtoms. I purchased a cable and the software a few years ago but was never able to get it to load. I spent hours and hours playing with it even posting questions here. I gave up. Last year purchased Bavarian Tecknic only to find out you can't see live data with this model car and their cable.

I have only one fault that nobody has ever seen including Dinan to wihich I have there Stage 2 flash and CAI. I had the hestation before the flash. The code is 2FA3- Coding is absent. Dinan thought it is DME related but didn't think it was related to my hesitation.

Plugs were replaced, never had a misfire code. I cleaned the MAF sensor

My car is a 6 Sp. Most noticable when shifting into second gear. Let the clutch out step on the gas and it feels like it dies for a split second then recovers. RPM's below 1500 feels like lacking power
Old 10-10-2019, 05:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: E63 645ci
From what I've read on that code it appears to be nothing too much to worry about and is caused after a tune.
What appears to have happened is the DME has made certain adaptions while using the BMW tune, when the dinan tune was installed the DME couldn't match those adaptions to the new tune and it throws this code it shouldn't actually be affecting anything, the DME just can't figure out what's going on, it should disappear if you default code the DME (you may need to reinstall the tune after again, I'm not sure there).
Since you've been having this trouble from before the tune it's pretty safe to say that's not your problem, I'd start simple and cheap, give it a smoke test first to check for vacuum leaks as these won't always throw codes, also just out of curiosity when was your transmission fluid last changed along with the above questions?

Neal.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:33 AM

Ya pretty much what Dinan said. About the trany, i have 6 spd.
I have changed out the CCV boots also thinking it may be a vaccum leak .
Nothing i have tried has made any difference
Old 10-10-2019, 03:46 PM

so I disconnected the MAF. What I noticed right away was I couldn't blurp the throttle, it barley raised the RPMs. Also because its a 6 spd when I shift there was a lag in rpms at first but then accererated same as before. Still felt the hesitation. But I was driving hilly back roads at around 50 mph at 2K rpms really not noticing that it was much different.

It did throw the engine light after a little while. checking the codes I had 3 , MAss or Volume Air flow, Intake air temp sensor, and No DTC definitions found

is this what you would expect with the MAF disconnected?

Last edited by Gman08; 10-10-2019 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

That would be the codes you might see. Since you have removed the Vanos solenoids & installed them back into place, start there. If the solenoids are properly seated, there should not be any timing codes found with an OBD2 reader. I would remove the wires & check them with a volt meter. There are 2 wire on each plug, one will read around 2.84 volts, & the other around 12 volts with the key on. If you are not reading the stated voltages, you have a blown fuse, or an old hardened wire that has probably broken. The wires usually break very close to the plug. There are around 8 fuses that are installed in the IVM module, 2 that go to the solenoids.

Since you have a Dinan mod, tuning could be an issue. I would find your cable to the BMTechnic software, & go to the programming forum located here. Download ISTA+, follow the directions, & it will be a lot easier software package to understand.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:11 AM

Herb, I have not found any timing codes with the OBD2 reader i believe.

also from my last post can I asume my MAF is working correctly or not?

My hesitation was there before the tune
Old 10-11-2019, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: E63 645ci
If they are the only codes with the MAF disconnected and disappear once reconnected plus what you've stated it "should" be fine, I say that loosely as they can be somewhat temperamental.
Go with the smoke test for vacuum leaks and check the wiring where HerbP describes, the breaks at the plugs are usually quite obvious when you take a good close look at them so should be relatively easy to spot, also (though you probably know this anyway) double check the solenoids are fully seated.
After this you will probably need ISTA to see what's happening during this hesitation (or it may even pick up the problem from the get go), a generic OBD2 reader just won't give you what you need on these cars. If you download ISTA from the programming section it will come with full instructions to install it but they must be followed precisely, from there HerbP can direct you on where to go while using it, I'm afraid I've only just started using it so not sure myself yet, old school DIS user here .

Neal.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:50 AM

I have thought from the beginning that it is probably a vacuum leak because it wasn't throwing any codes. The CCV's were the first thing i tried. From searching this forum that seamed to be common, cheap, and easy. So i do have a cheap smoke machine from troubleshooting emission problems on other vehicles, is there a procedure somewhere that tells me how to smoke test the valve cover gaskets? I assume thats my next direction since that also is a common source of vacuum leaks
Old 10-11-2019, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

You will need to find a place to tap into the engine, to induce the smoke. The large hose hooked to the vacuum pump will work, & it is the easiest to access. You will find a way to a way to block off the throttle body, to keep smoke from exiting the intake. I use a 4" pipe test plug & wrap some tape around it to make a tight seal. At that point tighten the test plug wing nut to get a good snug fit. Then start the smoke machine & start looking for smoke. The only vacuum leak that could really bog the motor would be one of the vent tubes on the intake, as they suck a lot of air.
Old 10-12-2019, 08:42 AM

I see there is a nipple on the front of the vaccum pump with a plug on it. Will this work to get smoke into that system?
Old 10-12-2019, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

It will allow some smoke in the engine, I don't know if it will be enough volume? The larger hose works very well, but try the small one.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search