PSA: Check Your Trunk Wire Harness - Page 6 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 12-14-2016, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci
Thanks for posting that. I just picked up an e46 2002 and will make sure my wires are not wearing or splitting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2017, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 01 325xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
I have been laid up in and out of bed for a few weeks now, ...
Anyone know what happened to bluebee? Strange disappearance after a slightly ominous post? All those posts about "benefiting others when we are long gone," but didn't think bluebee would be long gone by 2015. Hope there is an explanation that has a nice ending.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46-325xi; F34-328GT
I miss reading bluebee's posts too. That last post was nearly two years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_y82 View Post
Anyone know what happened to bluebee? Strange disappearance after a slightly ominous post? All those posts about "benefiting others when we are long gone," but didn't think bluebee would be long gone by 2015. Hope there is an explanation that has a nice ending.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:43 PM

^exactly, and it was an abrupt exit... I wonder if anyone here knew him personally? Hope he got an offer, for the bimmer, he could not refuse and moved on, but seems unlikely! I'm too stupid to post too much, so I mostly lurk, listen, and learn... bluebee certainly left a legacy here.

Best wishes.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Passat
Have your checked your abs system sometimes yor abs Ecu can tell you a few speed sensor problems.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:48 PM
Professional amateur tech

Mein Auto:
nice post! since were on the topic of wear on electrical components, there was a post i read somewhere about improving performance by tweaking the prongs of the female connectors on the VANOS solenoid connectors. slightly and carefully closing the gap just a bit so the pins contact better. several people tried it on the forum as well as myself with unexpected good results. great find, but cant remember where i read the post but awesome find.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:07 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
^exactly, and it was an abrupt exit... I wonder if anyone here knew him personally? Hope he got an offer, for the bimmer, he could not refuse and moved on, but seems unlikely! I'm too stupid to post too much, so I mostly lurk, listen, and learn... bluebee certainly left a legacy here.

Best wishes.
Bluebee is a HER, not a "him"....Donna was an exceptionally knowledgeable and prolific poster, but on the flip side of that coin, she was very reserved about her personal life. Her current status is still open to speculation, but the manner in which she left us is not indicative of anything positive.
We were priviliged to have known her, and shared her wealth of experience.

Travel well, Bluebee....you are missed by many....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 07-21-2017, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i Sedan
PSA: Check Your Trunk Wire Harness

I found that cutting the brown ground wire and grounding it to the brake liight housing works wonders

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 07-22-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Bluebee is a HER, not a "him"....Donna was an exceptionally knowledgeable and prolific poster, but on the flip side of that coin, she was very reserved about her personal life. Her current status is still open to speculation, but the manner in which she left us is not indicative of anything positive.
We were priviliged to have known her, and shared her wealth of experience.

Travel well, Bluebee....you are missed by many....
Thanks Bob. I did not know that, and did not intend any offense. Quite the opposite. Regardless of gender I found her posts invaluable and her disappearance foreboding. Gender is and easy detail to be unaware of in the context of the forum, even more so if someone does not divulge and lot. I don't spend a lot of time on forums and tend to forget those kind of details to boot. We were and continue to be privileged; I recall many reiterations, by Bluebee, that we should post good information to leave for others when we are gone. I just did not expect it to be so abrupt.

Best wishes to all; that answers my question as well as it can be answered... So I will let this get back to the topic.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:45 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Thanks Bob. I did not know that, and did not intend any offense. Quite the opposite. Regardless of gender I found her posts invaluable and her disappearance foreboding. Gender is and easy detail to be unaware of in the context of the forum, even more so if someone does not divulge and lot. I don't spend a lot of time on forums and tend to forget those kind of details to boot. We were and continue to be privileged; I recall many reiterations, by Bluebee, that we should post good information to leave for others when we are gone. I just did not expect it to be so abrupt.

Best wishes to all; that answers my question as well as it can be answered... So I will let this get back to the topic.
Thanks for responding. I wish I had a more positive (or definitive) answer for you. It`s always difficult when members just slip away unexpectedly....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 08-30-2017, 07:08 PM
Nemodogdad

Mein Auto: 2002 330xi 5speed 160k
Wire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G. P. Burdell View Post
Yes, it is! Actually, this damage is pretty mild compared to some of the pictures I've seen on other forums.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether PTFE-insulated wire would fare better in this application than standard automotive PVC- or XLPE-insulated wire? As far as I can tell, the factory stuff is PVC. It seems that PTFE would be tougher and better than PVC at retaining its flexibility at low temperatures.
Anybody try Cat 6 Ethernet Cable? It is shielded and has 6 wires inside a plastic coating. Three strands wouls easily fit within the rubber flex tube at the trunk hinge. I was having a fantom rear brake light failure warning, and spliced in a three foot section. I have no idea about the load capability, but I have had no problem and no failure lights since the repair. Cat 6 cable is shielded against magnetic, heat and stability, and it is very inexpensive. If the rated load is too low, I bet you could double up each connection without any difficulty. My splice is over six months old. I'll post any failure if anyone would find it useful.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:06 AM

Mein Auto: 325i
My rubber "surround" tore near the top but no wire damage yet. Would rather not pull all the wiring to replace the "surround". Thinking to wrap the wire bundle with the European/cloth electrical tape. Other thoughts on best approach to prevent wire damage?

Last edited by BidNo; 09-09-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:18 PM
catso

Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Thanks for responding. I wish I had a more positive (or definitive) answer for you. It`s always difficult when members just slip away unexpectedly....
Bluebee was one-of-a-kind and a great asset to this forum and all the people who need info about the various models of BMW's that she posted about. I wish her well...
Old 09-21-2017, 04:19 PM
Rambling Wreck

Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BidNo View Post
My rubber "surround" tore near the top but no wire damage yet. Would rather not pull all the wiring to replace the "surround". Thinking to wrap the wire bundle with the European/cloth electrical tape. Other thoughts on best approach to prevent wire damage?
A temporary repair is to clean the rubber tube with a damp cloth, then wrap it tightly with a stretchy electrical tape. Use a quality tape such as 3M Super 33+, which should stretch enough to get into the corrugations. Overlap your wraps by 1/3 to 1/2 the width of the tape, and extend the wrap a couple inches above and below the tear before cutting the tape neatly.

I sliced into my car's original tube in order to find the problem. The electrical tape wrap lasted for the few weeks I needed to research my replacement options and get the materials together to re-run the wires.

By the way, the replacement wiring is still going strong after six and a half years.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:23 PM
Nemodogdad

Mein Auto: 2002 330xi 5speed 160k
trunk repair add on

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
GP

I agree with jcourcoul that it will not stick to teflon. Kind of makes my orig. recommendation a moot point. (facepalm) I do like jc's solution though with the rubber stretch tape. May be the only solution if you want to use the teflon coated wire. In any case, I don't think you will ever have to do this repair again. Good luck, and keep us updated on how it goes. I'm sure I'll be there soon too, as my Wife just loves to put the purse in the trunk on the vert.

The tape described is available in the plumbing section at Lowes and Home Depot. It is called Stretch and Seal Tape and a roll runs about $7 for about ten feet. I used it on hundred year old water supply pipe about five years ago, and it worked and is still working on a small crack in our lead water supply pipe. It is a silicon blend of some sort, and remains pliant for a long time.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:12 AM
Teufel Hunden

Mein Auto: 2004 330xi
So after several 10k miles of very trouble free motoring (post cooling system refresh, CCV, etc.), my dash lit up to indicate a "burned bulb" out back. I checked and the right side amber inside the trunk lid was out... and swapping bulbs + meter confirmed there's no juice to the plug, so guess what I'll be doing soon?
2004 Titanium Silver 330xi Auto @ 221k - *New* Bosch Alt (130k), G.A.S. DISA kit & 1.2bar Billet coolant cap, fuel filter (133k), Valve Cover Gasket (140k), VDO FuelPump (143k), Giubo & CSB (144k), Cooling System Refresh, CCV, OFHG (155k)
2004 Ford F-350 4x4 w/ J&I 9' steel flatbed, 6.0L de-alphabetizing, 4" MBRP pipe, & SBT LiveWire+
1972 Jeep Commando - AMC304 w/ TBI, TH400, Lifted, locked 4.27s, caged, bumpers, winch, & airhorn... slightly modified for occasional offroad use
Old 11-03-2018, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto:
Hi all,I have the tourer 316i, 04.there are two rubber boots going to the tailgate.does anyone know which side has the reversing lights loom inside.i think its the yellow/blue wire.thanks
Old 11-04-2018, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto:
ok after splitting the rubber gaiters apart no wires affected .went to the loom above the battery found two yellow/blue wires checked they sent current to the reverse light bulbs all ok.finally got underneath the car to check the reverse switch wires(as i had already replaced the switch earlier) as soon as i started to move the connector i heard the sensors bleeping.so i gently wiggled a small screwdriver to close the contacts in the connector.hey presto fixed.i suggest people start with bulb check first then start at the reverse selector switch to make sure power is going to the rear of the car.
http://www.bmwgm5.com/bmwgm5/Images/E46/trunk_2.gif

Last edited by cherrylips; 11-04-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:00 PM

Thanks cherrylips, and welcome to the forum!
Old 01-28-2019, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: e61 535xit, e90 330xi
Thank you all for the extremely useful guide and general information. Although I had this problem on my e90, the issue and solution is the same. Only two broken wires, but I'm sure there will be more. I was able to catch this before the FRM disabled itself due to shorts. Thank you!

Unfortunately, my rubber boot was also torn at the junction of the corrugated portion of the boot and the grommet to the body of the car. Has anyone successfully repaired the rubber boot? Maybe with some sort of rubber tire patch (for a bike?)?

Options with a new boot (e90 parts below):
  • BMW sells a replacement boot by itself, but there's no way to use this without severing the harness completely and reconnecting everything.
  • Schmiedmann in the UK sells a shorter replacement harness made by Sencom that reportedly has upgraded wire, pre-installed butt connectors, and of course a new boot. They also make harnesses for e46, e39, e61, etc.

I'm leaning toward the Sencom/Schmiedmann short harness, which would also be a better long-term solution I think, but I'm interested in thoughts from others with more experience.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:39 AM

Based on your description, that seems like the way to go! Sorry that is not really helpful, but I am ignorant and thought you deserved a response!
Old 04-13-2019, 10:42 PM

Mein Auto:
This should have been a Major Recall ! Wires even melting will mess with DME I drive a M3 06 SMG and have an issue for Years until it got so noticeable with drivablity from 1st gear starting ! Pulsating and bouncing even a yellow warning light right after i squeezed my truck wires from a minor repair of grommet crack ! Wires are touching for sure !

So here is my fix ! After you note where the weakness is in the Wires that crack ,clue it is in the upper top like the first 3 inches ! Now use electric or cloth tape separate each wire then the Magic take a flexible Tube like a clear Plastic one you can get from any ace hardware , make sure not to big has to fit in Grommet splice down middle Wrap tUB AND wires Tape and you have a Real Fix supporting this Bend Area !

Just do It !

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
license plate lights, reverse lights, trunk harness, trunk lock problems, trunk wires

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search