Want to get rid of your CVV ? Read this.... - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 07-15-2017, 08:33 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowz View Post
Not all M54B30's use oil so I wonder how much this actually holds true.

All M54 3.0's have the same CCV but not all burn oil.

Explain that one.
I thought I explained this (more than once) in my "Personal Break-In Theory" diatribe....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2017, 10:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 323i/97 528i/05 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
I thought I explained this (more than once) in my "Personal Break-In Theory" diatribe....
True but that doesn't explain the ccv is automatically evil and must be removed pattern I see all the time

1995 318is

1997 528i

2000 323i 400k miles and climbing
Converted from automatic to 5 speed manual

2005 X5 3.0 with Nav, adaptive headlights etc

2013 X5 xdrive35 Turbo
Old 07-15-2017, 01:03 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowz View Post
True but that doesn't explain the ccv is automatically evil and must be removed pattern I see all the time
IMHO. it`s just ANOTHER "Diabolical Device" (added to a long list of other DDs) that is destined for early failure on these cars....
There are MANY first-time BMW buyers (mostly non-DIYers) who get into their ownership before doing the necessary research, and quickly become disillusioned when the repair bills start mounting up (they thought "German engineering" would save the day....)
Most of these people will NEVER buy another BMW....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2017, 09:51 PM
Professional amateur tech

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
I'm almost done with the CVV. Thanks so much to this guide it wasn't as bad as I thought. Just one question right now:

Attachment 559836

Does anyone know where this hose that's right in the middle of the screen connects to? I connected the Cvv lit up and even put back the throttle body and forgot about this piece and have no idea where it goes. It has one of those squish tabs on the top left of the screen and its slipped to the car itself near the bottom right. This is all I need to finish this project up. Lmao. Thanks!
are you referring to the hose with the F connector? that goes on the inake hose
Old 09-16-2017, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330Ci Convertabl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_62 View Post

That looks like where the dip stick goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 09-16-2017, 10:02 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel_62 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedot912 View Post
That looks like where the dip stick goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
You two guys are responding to a question from a year-and-a-half ago....it`s been a done deal for a long time now.
Please check the dates before posting.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:02 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: E39
One of my favorite discoveries of a failed CCV, just listen to this suction. So much pressure it cracked the valve cover (very common for hairline cracks on these M54's):

Old 02-04-2018, 10:01 AM

Mein Auto: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbelton View Post
One of my favorite discoveries of a failed CCV, just listen to this suction.
Along the lines of what happens with a failed CCV on an M54 engine, is this thread, with lots of pictures and three videos with a distinctive loud chinking sound clearly audible that was caused by a plastic CCV having been accidentally sheared in half.[*] Have you ever heard THIS SOUND inside your M54 engine?

There is a ton of research in that thread, showing how to determine that it's not the DISA and that it's not a manifold backfire (valve leak testing) but that it's the CCV.

There's also good information about a CCV delete with a PCV that can pass emission visual testing.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
I suddenly have hope for the future of my 2000 323i manual transmission...I did not realize the longevity of these cars... 400k that is quite a few miles. I have had my BMW almost a year now and it has been a love HATE relationship. I love the car...Hate the way it was previously treated. I have replaced countless parts, sensors, relays, pumps, hoses, you name it. I failed smog 4 times before FINALLY passing...I am still rolling the snowball...I have always worked on my own vehicles with much success and read countless forums all different makes and models. This is the first I have ever signed up for. This car has serious HEART.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:20 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcozandrini View Post
The crappy design rears its ugly head when it's installed in the 3 liter M54 engine (M54B30). Why? This engine, and only this engine, has low tension oil control rings (LTOCRs). All other M54 engines-2 liter and 2.5 liter-have standard oil control rings.

Why does the M54B30 engine have LTOCRs? Fuel economy is the accepted reason. The problem is that LTOCRs require a constant and consistent crankcase vacuum. The CCV is supposed to provide that vacuum. While the CCV is apparently ok for the other engines, it's inadequate for the M54B30 engine. Hence, these engines burn oil.

I believe this CCV design is common to the M52 and M54 engines only. However, the only M54B30 engine has the LTOCRs. That's why the CCV needs to be replaced with an oil catch can. It works, relatively inexpensive and easily installed system.
Old thread, I know.

If the low tension oil control rings require a consistent level of vacuum, (actually absolute pressure,) how is using a simple "catch can" supposed to generate the required vacuum and regulate the crankcase pressure correctly?

Despite popular opinion, BMW did not design the CCV to be complex for that reason. The OEM CCV must perform the necessary crankcase ventilation function and provide for a sightly negative crankcase pressure ( ~ -3 to -6 inH2O water column,) for all operating speeds and loads, while minimizing lube oil loss from oily aerosols induction.

Last edited by protocol1; 05-17-2018 at 12:22 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
You two guys are responding to a question from a year-and-a-half ago....it`s been a done deal for a long time now.
Please check the dates before posting.
Who made a rule stating older threads should not be revisited? Why do you believe this?

If something new can add to an existing topic thread, why not add it?
Old 05-17-2018, 02:28 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocol1 View Post
Who made a rule stating older threads should not be revisited? Why do you believe this?

If something new can add to an existing topic thread, why not add it?
When the original question/problem is something that needs immediate attention, posting a response a year or two later serves little purpose. THAT`S why....

Old 05-21-2018, 12:56 PM

Sure, I agree. However, new info relevant to the thread may be useful regardless.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: SON'S 2003 330Ci (haha!)
I agree, provides info that may be useful when someone is searching old threads for a solution to their current problem... years later.
I was taught in other forums, proper etiquette is to look for answers to my problem in previous posts, rather than automatically starting a new thread.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci
Catch can questions

I am at the stage where I am going take on the catch can. So far this is what I have done up to this point. I have not put anything back yet b/c it seems to me the catch can is the last item in the list of things to do.

- Took off the expansion tank
- Took off the DISA and rebuilt it
- Took off the fan (will replace it with an electrical one)
- Took off the belts and replaced all the pulleys and tensioners.
- Took off the valve cover and VANOS. VANOS disassembled. I have the new rings but waiting for the anti-rattle retainers. I don't think my VANOS rattles but might as well do it since it is out of the car. It does wiggle a smidgen. Hate to go back in again to replace those some K miles later.
- Took out the alternator in preparation for the OFHG replacement. Oh btw, i lost a bolt down the crevices of the engine when I took off the power steering reservoir. I hope I can find it and not have it fall into the internal of the engine when I take the oil filter housing off.

So now I'm looking at the CCV thing and researching on its replacement with a CC. I bought a CC without a return port so I guess I will be capping off the return line into the crankcase. I have 2 questions to ask of you.

1. I have been watching 50skid videos on YouTube and his videos are extremely helpful. His videos recommend not doing an oil return line to the crankcase for cold weather. Does this mean I will have to empty the can periodically vs. if I do the return line, I don't ever have to? Should I do the return line? I've bought a CC that does not have a return port, just IN and OUT ports.
2. When I install my CC, what hoses go into the IN port and the OUT port? I am guessing it's the hose from the valve cover that goes into the IN and the intake manifold hose goes to the OUT. Is this right?

Before this project, I was pretty apprehensive about the whole thing. Once underway and taking my time, it was not so bad. The most difficult one so far was the expansion tank. It was hard to get out. I think I broke it but I have a replacement. The one surprise was the fan clutch nut. I thought I really had to work hard on that nut b/c of rust but once I had the leverage, that nut went out easily. Too easily.

Thanks

Last edited by bmw2001-325ci; 06-11-2018 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:13 AM

Aha! The good luck of the forum shines on me! After posting, I went back outside looking for that bolt and found it!!! Potential disaster avoided.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:16 AM
Keeping it surreal

I guess you didn`t notice, but we have a Sticky Thread devoted to this very subject....it might be a good idea to add any future postings to that existing thread

Old 06-11-2018, 11:19 AM

Thanks FastBob. I've read that thread and the other linked threads in it. I have googled othr sites and read and read. I was just overwhelmed. If someone knows the answers right off the bat and let me know, I would appreciate it.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:21 AM

Oops, sorry FastBob. I misread your response. I could add my questions to that sticky thread. Do you want me to?
Old 06-11-2018, 11:27 AM

Double oops. Never mind. Dang it. I didn't notice you move my thread here. Sheeesh. If I can go back and delete the unnecessary post. Sorry.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:11 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw2001-325ci View Post
Double oops. Never mind. Dang it. I didn't notice you move my thread here. Sheeesh. If I can go back and delete the unnecessary post. Sorry.
Not a problem....that post is here now, and no longer in the main body of the Forum

Old 06-11-2018, 05:27 PM

Now I broke the hose that runs atop the intake manifold along the fuel rail (?). I don't know what the part # is. Does someone know?

Oh and I got mayonaise in my hose lines and CCV.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325ci
Got my CC in 400 miles ago. Opened it up last night and saw some Starbuck cappuccino. Looked tasty. I put in a stainless steel wool pad because someone said it would help catch more. I will put a CC in my wife's brand new 2018 CRV after seeing how good this is.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:14 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by meinbills View Post
Got my CC in 400 miles ago. Opened it up last night and saw some Starbuck cappuccino. Looked tasty. I put in a stainless steel wool pad because someone said it would help catch more. I will put a CC in my wife's brand new 2018 CRV after seeing how good this is.
Since you completed the install, have you checked the amount of vacuum at the oil filler hole ?

Old 07-30-2018, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325ci
I did not, FastBob. What do you look for? Unfortunately my VCG didn't sit right and is leaking a little bit of oil. I need to redo that.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search