Low-tech solution to prevent car theft - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 X6 50i
Low-tech solution to prevent car theft

We live in the rural area in the Pacific Northwest and I'm paranoid that someone could just drive away with our cars while we're out on vacation. I thought about removing the negative terminal from the battery and/or some fuse that is critical to starting up the car. We have a security system (alarm + video surveillance), but you can never be too careful. Our neighbors are also not very close and police would probably take a very long time to get here in case the alarm gets triggered.

Does anyone else have other tips to make it really hard to start the cars? I know some creative thieves can just put them on a platform and take them away, but I doubt opportunity thieves are this prepared.
2015 328i M-Sport (hers), x-drive, new, alpine white
2007 328i (mine), rwd, used, silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019, 10:33 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Pull the low pressure fuel lift pump power connector X94 or A98
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

Last edited by Doug Huffman; 07-21-2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
The bad guys with a tow truck can be gone with your car in under a minute. Easier than bypassing car security.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2019, 02:36 PM
Nuclear engineer

Bad guys will be bad guys. Good behavior cannot be legislated, 'Thou Shalt Not ... !"

My nearest neighbor is 500 yards away and over the shoulder of the mountain heavily treed, so we don't even consider locking up. The back of the house is U-shaped and the mountain falls to within a couple of meters. If some one wanted in they could just demolish the back of the house in complete privacy. Thank goodness our major crime is underage drinking.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Bad guys will be bad guys. Good behavior cannot be legislated, 'Thou Shalt Not ... !"

My nearest neighbor is 500 yards away and over the shoulder of the mountain heavily treed, so we don't even consider locking up. The back of the house is U-shaped and the mountain falls to within a couple of meters. If some one wanted in they could just demolish the back of the house in complete privacy. Thank goodness our major crime is underage drinking.
Yup, same here. I'm more concerned about the opportunistic thief/transient (we have lots of those here), not the Ocean's 11 crew coming for my cars
Btw, how do I get to the low fuel pump connectors?
Old 07-21-2019, 03:10 PM
Nuclear engineer

At a guess, they are in the fuel tank and under the rear seat. Lift the seat cushion ...

Old 07-21-2019, 04:41 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbingo View Post
We live in the rural area in the Pacific Northwest and I'm paranoid that someone could just drive away with our cars while we're out on vacation. I thought about removing the negative terminal from the battery and/or some fuse that is critical to starting up the car. We have a security system (alarm + video surveillance), but you can never be too careful. Our neighbors are also not very close and police would probably take a very long time to get here in case the alarm gets triggered.

Does anyone else have other tips to make it really hard to start the cars? I know some creative thieves can just put them on a platform and take them away, but I doubt opportunity thieves are this prepared.
I worry about our Cle Elum house all the time. It does have an alarm (not connected to a company). I left our garage door open (some tools and stuff, and our Kubota tractor) for two-three weeks last month. Nothing happened (you can't see the door from the road.)

I've had much more to worry about at our cabin up near Mt. Rainier NP - every once in a while some meth-head camps out on the logging roads and raids the out-buildings in the cabin area (175 cabins) looking for tools. There's more than a few people up there with rifles... no one's gotten killed yet, but one can hope.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:00 PM

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
We live in the rural area in the Pacific Northwest ... I know some creative thieves can just put them on a platform and take them away, but I doubt opportunity thieves are this prepared.
Let's visit your reasoning here. You live in a rural area, thieves aren't just going to be trolling around rural areas looking for ad hoc opportunities to steal a car, unless they have nothing but time on their hands. Thieves tend to go the path of least resistance and the opportunity cost of just trolling rural areas is quite high, especially since they don't know what kind of cars they are gonna be able to get (bang for buck). If by chance their are thieves who specialize in rural area car heists, then they have plenty of time on their hands, enough to case your house to target in a rural area. In which case, those thieves have nothing but time on their hands, not to mention would know they had lots of time since they know you are away.

You have insurance, so stop worrying about someone just happening up to your house when you are gone, not knowing what kind of cars you own, opening up the garage, defeating your immobilizers, to take off with your cars.

Here's an idea: put your cars up on blocks, remove all wheels, take out all the air in the tires and remove the valve stems, cache any tire inflator, lug wrenches and valve stems in the middle of the woods marking the dread drop location or taking a gps reading for the coordinates.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 944 Turbo M235 Z4 335Mcar
I bought a stick shift, kids these days don't know what to do with it.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:24 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesberry View Post

^This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2019, 07:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
I have a old $8,500 estimate on some major work. I can just leave that visible on the front seat. No one would touch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 07-22-2019, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesberry View Post
Old 07-22-2019, 11:04 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:

The Club.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 07-22-2019, 03:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
A hacksaw to the steering wheel defeats the Club.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:05 PM

Thank you all for the input! I came to realize that I shouldn't be losing too much sleep over this.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:54 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestas View Post
A hacksaw to the steering wheel defeats the Club.
Oh, I know. I was JK abt The Club.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 07-23-2019, 04:15 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 535is 2008 E64
Quote:
I'm guessing you can't pull the coil wire. Pulling a strategic fuse in each of the panels should be the equivalent or better. The starter has a relay somewhere too.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: E61 530D E91 330d E46 328
Low tech.. Last 3 week trip I made to Japan I had 5cubic meters of gravel delivered (8 tons) to the middle of my driveway. Needed it for the ongoing projects and it was only after ordering to be ready & primed for my return, that I realised it was the perfect security barrier.
Ultimate theft protection for 3 cars, a van, 4 motorbikes & 3 light trailers.

Oh, I have an excavator at home. Does that make it low tech?
Old 07-23-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_NZ View Post
Low tech.. Last 3 week trip I made to Japan I had 5cubic meters of gravel delivered (8 tons) to the middle of my driveway. Needed it for the ongoing projects and it was only after ordering to be ready & primed for my return, that I realised it was the perfect security barrier.
Ultimate theft protection for 3 cars, a van, 4 motorbikes & 3 light trailers.

Oh, I have an excavator at home. Does that make it low tech?
Genius! ***x1f642;
Old 07-30-2019, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: Toyota Prius
Quote:
Yup, same here. I'm more concerned about the opportunistic thief/transient (we have lots of those here), not the Ocean's 11 crew coming for my cars
If youíre not concerned about someone with a tow truck, then the effective theft deterrent is: Donít keep any keys in the home. And thatís it.

BMWís are extremely difficult to steal. If you smash the window, you still canít unlock the door. So youíve got to smash the window and crawl through the glass. And they need a chip in the key to start, and often itís a radio transmitter key. Even if you hotwire them, without the special key, the fuel pump will lockout. Oh, and there are no organized BMW car theft rings because there isnít much volume in BMWís. Hondaís and Toyotaís are much more popular in this respect, such as thieves who cut the catalytic converters out of Priusí and things like that.

But actually stealing the whole car? Very difficult without a tow truck.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search